Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2019, 18:42   #76
BHPian

Re: Driving with temporary registration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crodjer View Post
I am planning to purchase a car in December mid.
I am also in the same boat. Planning delivery on temporary registration in December and permanent registration in January.
Though totally legal, I'm not sure if it is safe as in insurance claims in case of any damages.

How much did your dealer quote as temporary registration charges?
Honda dealer in Bangalore is charging 3000 rupees for temporary registration. He says the charges are 3000 for TR within Bangalore and 1000 for outstation. Can someone please confirm whether these are genuine?
Old 12th December 2019, 22:35   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neur0t0xin View Post
I am also in the same boat. Planning delivery on temporary registration in December and permanent registration in January.
Though totally legal, I'm not sure if it is safe as in insurance claims in case of any damages.

How much did your dealer quote as temporary registration charges?
Honda dealer in Bangalore is charging 3000 rupees for temporary registration. He says the charges are 3000 for TR within Bangalore and 1000 for outstation. Can someone please confirm whether these are genuine?

PPS Ford quoted 1500/-. Most dealerships were around the same number (Ford, Tata, VW). Although I am still waiting on availability for the Figo. If it's too late in the end, I'll just skip temporary registration and get it in Jan. Although, I'd miss having all my family at the delivery time in that case.
crodjer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 00:48   #78
BHPian

Got a challan (my first in 12 years) due to a dealer (and my) negligence. I got TR done and only left the Prerana Tata Motors after getting the TR certificate. But I was fined 500/- on Residency Road for driving without a number plate. When I showed them the temporary registration, the traffic police explained that just that isn't enough and you need to display the TR number as well.
He explained that you can drive it on the TR for a month, but some number should be visible for them to be able to track a car in case of a mishap. The dealership should have taken care of that, he said. This made sense to me as well. And at that point I was furious at Prerana Motors for not printing out the TR number. Infact, they were willing to let us go without even the TR certificate. I had to insist and then wait for 1.5 hours to get just that. We had also pointed out that don't we need to display the temporary number, to which they said just the "Reigstered" sticker is enough.

I realized that it was my fault in the end because you can't blindly believe in what the dealer says and not refer to the rules yourself while driving.

Last edited by crodjer : 5th January 2020 at 00:50.
crodjer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 03:31   #79
BHPian

Questions about Temporary Registration (CRTM)

Hello Guys,

I am not sure if I am posting my question in the right section but moderators may move the thread if needed.

I have a few questions about the process of obtaining a temporary registration certificate online from the dealer's end especially in the current scenario.

I am posting these questions because others might have faced similar situations here and might know a way out. So I will explain the situation below:
  • I have a couple of friends who were planning to purchase their vehicles on March 25th i.e Gudi Padwa last month.
  • These were BSIV vehicles which they were getting for a good deal and so they were not from dealers from their same city.
  • Their vehicles were fully paid with the loans disbursed too but the vehicles could not be delivered due to the sudden lockdown.
  • The dealers advised them to wait till 14th April initially as these guys had no choice. Now with further extention of the lockdown, their vehicle delivery has been stuck again.
  • Their EMIs would be starting from May and they still have no clue about the car delivery.
  • They have been getting restless about the car delivery because their cars have been lying at the dealer stockyards without care and the biggest fear is the news about dealers shutting down operations due to the huge losses they are having right now.
  • One of them tried to work with a dealer from Mumbai to get his car delivered by paying the transport cost himself now that some kind of transport was allowed.
  • However, the dealer is saying is the vehicle cannot be delivered unless CRTM (Temporary Registration) is done for the vehicle which is where now the issue is stuck.

A few things:

My friend found out that since 2016, CRTM process is being done online via the vahan portal by the dealers. The important links found were :
  1. https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in...y-Registration
  2. https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/s...%20%281%29.pdf

Now as per these links, the process is entirely online. However, the dealer says that the online RC generated needs to be sent to the RTO manually for signing and stamping without which it is not valid.

However, when my friend contacted RTO, Wadala today, they told him that the process is entirely online and no sign or stamp is needed after the RC is generated. Initially, the dealer had told him that RTOs are fully closed. Now he is confused and not sure what he can do and whom to believe. The response from the dealer is not great and he is scared about losing his money and he has paid in full. ( It is a premium segment car ) . The other friend is in a similar situation but he is a cool head compared to this guy.

Can we please have advice if anyone has any idea on how to handle the situation or do you see any way out?

Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 07:59   #80

I am getting delivery of my RE Interceptor on 28-Nov-2020, dealer in Bangalore is saying that he will deliver with temporary registration which is valid for 30 days. Before 30 days he is going to provide the permanent registration number.

I have purchased more than 4-5 vehicles including bikes and cars, none of them were delivered without registration and number plates fixed. For me this seems to be the new practice. Is this true? Or Dealer is taking me for a ride.

-LNR
Old 19th November 2020, 09:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnreddy View Post
I am getting delivery of my RE Interceptor on 28-Nov-2020, dealer in Bangalore is saying that he will deliver with temporary registration which is valid for 30 days. Before 30 days he is going to provide the permanent registration number.

I have purchased more than 4-5 vehicles including bikes and cars, none of them were delivered without registration and number plates fixed. For me this seems to be the new practice. Is this true? Or Dealer is taking me for a ride.

-LNR
Since (and I am assuming, correct me if I am wrong) that you are resident of Bangalore and have the address proof in Bangalore, the dealer really ought to deliver the motorcycle to you with permanent registration. My opinion is that you should insist on taking delivery only with permanent registration.

Have you paid the dealer full amount for the motorcycle including Life Time Tax and registration charges? If so, I would be slightly paranoid about the temporary registration offer. I am thinking the dealer might want to cheat you of that amount. Once the motorcycle is in your hands, the dealer might just wash his hands off the whole affair and leave you in the lurch, pocketing the Life Time Tax.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 19th November 2020 at 09:46. Reason: verbiage
Old 19th November 2020, 09:58   #82

Thank you for the reply. I have been born and grown up in Bangalore, have all required proof for registration of the bike.

I have just paid the booking amount, the bike will arrive at the dealership on 25-Nov-2020.
Old 19th November 2020, 10:04   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

-LNR
If you get a receipt for road tax payment, then you have nothing to worry about any delay in getting the registration number. Sometimes there could be a delay in issuing registration number, but receipt for tax payment should be immediate. Did you request for any 'special' number?
Old 19th November 2020, 10:43   #84

No I have not requested for any special number. The Dealer is saying that 30 days is the minimum period to get the registration done.
Old 19th November 2020, 10:54   #85
BHPian

Quote:
For me this seems to be the new practice. Is this true? Or Dealer is taking me for a ride.

-LNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
My opinion is that you should insist on taking delivery only with permanent registration.

Have you paid the dealer full amount for the motorcycle including Life Time Tax and registration charges? If so, I would be slightly paranoid about the temporary registration offer. I am thinking the dealer might want to cheat you of that amount. Once the motorcycle is in your hands, the dealer might just wash his hands off the whole affair and leave you in the lurch, pocketing the Life Time Tax.
In Kerala, generally, vehicles are delivered with temporary registration. Owners then get the car registered themselves at the RTO with or without the help of an agent. I have never seen a car delivered with permanent registration in Kerala. All the new vehicles, when driven out of the showroom, will have the temp registration printout stuck to the number plate.

A snap clicked when getting the delivery of my close friend's Punto in 2016.

Driving with temporary registration?-punto.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
If you get a receipt for road tax payment, then you have nothing to worry about any delay in getting the registration number.
Right. Nothing to worry as long as you have the LTT receipt. You should insist on getting the LTT receipt in fact.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 19th November 2020 at 11:02.
Old 22nd November 2020, 21:59   #86
Senior - BHPian

The Ford dealership in Bangalore tells me that the number plates will be available only after 5-7 days after full registration and delivery of the vehicle is taken . Till the time number plates reach me , what are the restrictions in driving around the city ? I assume that the registration number will be available once the registration process is complete, and given to me at the time of delivery. Should I take a print of the number and put it on the front and rear windscreens ?
Old 22nd November 2020, 23:03   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
The Ford dealership in Bangalore tells me that the number plates will be available only after 5-7 days after full registration and delivery of the vehicle is taken . Till the time number plates reach me , what are the restrictions in driving around the city ? I assume that the registration number will be available once the registration process is complete, and given to me at the time of delivery. Should I take a print of the number and put it on the front and rear windscreens ?
There is no restriction after you have got the number, just pasting a printout on both the windscreens will suffice before the actual plates are delivered. Driving without any registration number is punishable and not without permanent plates as long as you have the registration number visible.

P.S- Welcome to the Ecosport bandwagon

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 22nd November 2020 at 23:19.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:58   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I got the ES on 12th of September.
Registration number was allotted on the 30th of September.
HSRP sticker and Number plates arrived on the 10 of October. I was driving with temp. number until this time and dealership said its ok to!
Yet to receive the printed RC card.
This is Chikmagalur RTO, i believe things in Bangalore must be much faster, at least getting the number plates.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:17   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
There is no restriction after you have got the number, just pasting a printout on both the windscreens will suffice before the actual plates are delivered.
Thank you. Hopefully, should receive the registration number at the time of delivery itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriage.retorq View Post
I got the ES on 12th of September.
Registration number was allotted on the 30th of September.
HSRP sticker and Number plates arrived on the 10 of October. I was driving with temp. number until this time and dealership said its ok to!
Wow, that is quite a time gap between delivery and number plates! All the cars I purchased earlier in Bangalore came with the number plates installed at the time of delivery itself. I suppose the number of car purchases and registrations are much higher now than even 5 years back, and thus the delays on the part of the RTO.
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:24   #90

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
There is no restriction after you have got the number, just pasting a printout on both the windscreens will suffice before the actual plates are delivered. Driving without any registration number is punishable and not without permanent plates as long as you have the registration number visible.

I'm facing a similar situation, my Rapid will be ready for delivery with permanent registration no. by 24th, but the HSRP plates will take 4-5 days more to arrive. I have an outstation trip in the meanwhile coming up for the weekend and debating whether to take the new car or not - is it perfectly legal to drive around with printed number sheet on windscreen/bumper (especially considering out of city trips) without a HSRP?
@Arindam Did you face any problems in Bangalore while doing so..?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks