Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 15:19   #31
Team-BHP Support

BTW guys, a similar thread can be found here: Mumbai Taxis (Mumbai Taxi's - Part of our landscape!)
Old 17th August 2007, 16:22   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Very soon the Wagon R will grow to be among the most hated vehicles on the roads, the same way as most people now view the Indicabs and Sumos.

Thank god i dont live in Mumbai!
Old 17th August 2007, 16:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
NO, It is not even mentioned for LPG or DUO version also, only Wagon R is mentioned, so everybody here is posting based on assumptions. "if this, if that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Is it mentioned somewhere that it will be a CNG wagonR?

The DUO version (which is mostly used by call centers here) has a toroidal LPG tank, which liberates decent space in the boot.
Brothers,

Two simple reasons:
a. CNG is wayyy cheaper. Our m800 ran at 70-80p/km, Xeta runs at 1.1Rs/km. LPG doesn't come close. You'd think that the extra 70-100 bucks daily fuel cost would be passed through, when Meru cabs are running at 13rs/km? Or the regular taxi walah would want to shave off his earnings by that amount?

b. The bulk of MGL (Mahanagar Gas Ltd) business is based on CNG sales. Its half owned by GAIL and already HPCL/BPCL outlets have invested lots into CNG outlets which would CLOSE, if the taxis switch to LPG. LPG needs regular tank, not compressor/cascades like CNG stations have. So, let's forget switching to LPG, shall we? Plus its more polluting, and CNG was what the SC ordered after years of deliberation
Old 17th August 2007, 17:10   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
One problem with Omni: It has little or no thigh support. Except this its perfect for taxi.
But the seats can be modified !
Old 17th August 2007, 17:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Iv been seeing a lot of Santro taxis lately, with gold cabs, meru cabs and not this finally the Padmini is being retired
Old 17th August 2007, 17:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
But the seats can be modified !
I haven't seen good seats on Omni. If they are raised, people might hit their heads againt the ceiling
Old 17th August 2007, 17:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, good move, all WagonR owners, sell your cars

I think they should have been in talks with fiat for a 1.1Stile, it would have been a real cheap option and Fiats build quality is ages ahead of Maruti and yeah lest i forget the Taxi drivers wont drive fast or rash, the Stile is severly underpowered
Old 17th August 2007, 21:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

This move comes in the wake of the increase and difficulty in maintaining the padmini's since the suppliers too are moving onto other pastures. I am sure, moving onto the Wagon R's is a hard decision for the union as well, but then I guess they see the sign of things to come. Padmini's are very much part of the Bombay landscape as London Taxi's are to London (Kolkata still has its icon living into the new times and I really wish it never dies even if I dont like it because of its hard bumpers).

However I was surprised about the Wagon R decision, cos logic says that it will go to the Tata's. But I think the Tata's will cater to the bigger taxi arrangement like MERU cabs (Sort of the Maxi-taxi mini-taxi arrangement of the past)

Last edited by 1100D : 17th August 2007 at 21:41.
Old 17th August 2007, 21:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Its a bad news for anyone who bought a wagon R in 2007. All my reviews, comparisons, visiting various brand dealers, talking to different owners, test driving various cars and personalising an opinion etc. all will look like a total waste of time and money. Why in the whole world only wagon R is considered to be a taxi ? I hated buying an Indica because its mostly taxis and call centre cabs here. I hated an Omni because its mostly used for either cargo or a public transporting purpose. I hated a sumo and Qualis because both of them have become official vehicles meant for the call centre drivers. Now what ??

May be I should try Aveo UVA !! Sadly it was on road just 2 weeks after I took my wagon R delivery. Or there is something new coming up this year itself. Fingers crossed. One fact is very clear: If mumbai taxi association decides on wagon R to be their replacement for padminis, other metros in India would follow the suit, which will make every wagon R owners worried !
Old 17th August 2007, 23:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

this is a stupid choice

i dont think tht wagon r could replace padmini as the ultimate taxi in mumbai.

in my opinion.. the best choices are..
cng versions of

1. tata indigo... big in space.. easily available spares.
2. tata indica... same as above.. but no boot.
3. fiat palio 1.1.. as its not selling..and tata takes care of service.
4. maruti omni..
5. maruti esteem.. good choice.
Old 18th August 2007, 00:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Its a bad news for anyone who bought a wagon R in 2007. All my reviews, comparisons, visiting various brand dealers, talking to different owners, test driving various cars and personalising an opinion etc. all will look like a total waste of time and money. Why in the whole world only wagon R is considered to be a taxi ? I hated buying an Indica because its mostly taxis and call centre cabs here. I hated an Omni because its mostly used for either cargo or a public transporting purpose. I hated a sumo and Qualis because both of them have become official vehicles meant for the call centre drivers. Now what ??

May be I should try Aveo UVA !! Sadly it was on road just 2 weeks after I took my wagon R delivery. Or there is something new coming up this year itself. Fingers crossed. One fact is very clear: If mumbai taxi association decides on wagon R to be their replacement for padminis, other metros in India would follow the suit, which will make every wagon R owners worried !
Dont worry, the frequent use of a car as a Taxi is actually a tribute to that car recognizing its suitable to tackle our roads and usage. In Europe even Mercs are used as Taxi's.
Old 18th August 2007, 00:07   #42
Team-BHP Support

Guys with this thread you are certainly pissing off one Mr. Karlos Singh Taxiwallah from Pune
Old 18th August 2007, 00:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Guys with this thread you are certainly pissing off one Mr. Karlos Singh Taxiwallah from Pune

ha ha ha , Moral, I had just logged on to post the same thing! But you beat me to it.

At Dinner today, while Karl is talking about buying parts for his latest 'project'

Me: Looks like they're planning on replacing all padmini cabs in Mumbai with Wagon R's

Karlos Singh Fiatwallah: (Puts down his beer and looks up): kaun bola? What Rubbish, it cant happen.........I WONT let it (Ok, i may be embellishing a little here, but you get my drift)

Of course a discussion on the Mumbai taxi unions ensued, but thats for another thread.

Last edited by swale84 : 18th August 2007 at 00:15.
Old 18th August 2007, 00:18   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Sigh...if only the Taxi drivers would reailse they are digging their own grave. By keeping the cars in such terrible condition (for the most part), people are put off to even sit in them. I've proposed in the past to have competitions for best maintained taxis amongst the Union, we'll see a higher quality of taxi. If London has their age old design in such great demand till very recently, surely we can make ours a novelty factor too.
Old 18th August 2007, 01:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Why do they all have to be the same identical car. Is black and yellow one big company. Frankly I'm not sure how the system works.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks