Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Is the hatchback segment dying?
Yes 132 45.99%
No 99 34.49%
Make a comeback (if 4 meter rule is withdrawn) 59 20.56%
Can't say 14 4.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2024, 15:21   #1
BHPian

Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?

Hatchback Sales Number

Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-hatch-sales-chart.jpg

Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-total-hatch-sold.jpg

Economic Times Article -

Quote:
The decline in the hatchback segment continues and has been exacerbated by high inflation affecting the purchasing power of those who either want to purchase their first vehicle or upgrade from a two-wheeler.

Maruti Suzuki chairman, R C Bhargava, reiterated that the focus is now shifting to what the customer wants - SUVs.

"Next year, there will be degrowth in the hatchback segment. The purchasing power of hatchback segment has been affected and hence, is not growing. The production capacity will come down from 70 per cent to what the market needs," Bhargava said.

Note - Top 10 is based on last 13 months data
Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-top-10-h.jpg

Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-hatch-market-share.jpg

SUV Sales Number

Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-suv-sale-chart-1.jpg
Note: It's Hector under Team-BHP logo

Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-suv-sales-chart-2.jpg

Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-total-suv-sold.jpg

Economic Times Article -
Quote:
Sport-utility vehicles (SUVs) now make up half of all passenger vehicle sales in India, doubling their market share in five years. This shift in buyer preference towards bigger, feature-rich vehicles has come at the expense of once-popular small cars.

As much as 52% of the 363,733 passenger vehicles sold in September were SUVs, a record for a month, increasing their market share from about 43.6% in September 2022.

SUV sales have grown to comprise 48.3% of total vehicle sales in the first six months of this fiscal year, up from 41.5% in H1FY23. The share of hatchbacks has slipped to 30% in H1FY24 from 35.1% in the same period last fiscal. Despite launches of several new models such as Hyundai Verna, Volkswagen Virtus and Skoda Slavia, the share of sedans, too, declined to 9.3% in the fiscal first half from 10.3% in H1FY23.

Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-screenshot-20240219-.jpg
Source - Link

Note - Top 10 is based on last 13 months data
Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-top-10-s.jpg

Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-suv-market-share.jpg

Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-suv-vs-hatchback.jpg

Reason why people shift to SUV (compact)
  • Crowd psychology/herd mentality.
  • Increase in disposable income.
  • Not many good options in hatchback segment.
  • Increase in average cost of hatchback.
  • Buying a secondary car.
  • Safety.
  • Ground clearance (least important reason IMO)

Conclusion - Looking at the graph, we can say SUV sales are increasing at good rate and might hit two hundred thousand mark, if this trend continues. While, hatchback segment has seen a decline in the sale but still doing consistent number (around one hundred thousand) so short answer is hatchback market is still alive.

Note - Based on last 13 months data
    Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-h-s-ms.jpg

Source - All the figures are taken from our Moderator Aditya post.

Last edited by JDMBOI : 20th February 2024 at 14:26.
JDMBOI is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 22:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Old 21st February 2024, 00:47   #3
BHPian

I don't know if it can be clearly said that the hatchback is dying yet. It still feels like a natural progression from a two-wheeler for the average middle class family.

And in our extremely crowded cities, hatchbacks as cabs will continue to remain a thing.

Manufacturers will obviously try to push sales of more crossovers by claiming that hatchbacks are about to die, but we aren't fully there yet.

The segment that really faces the risk of death is the sedan.

Last edited by Small Bot : 21st February 2024 at 00:48.
Small Bot is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 04:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

On a sidenote, more than hatchbacks dying its also the number of vehicles being labeled an “SUV”, many of which may be better defined as being a “crossover” / “hybrid”. In a world where a WagonR is a (tall boy) hatch back, albeit still a hatch back, we call vehicles like Nexon, Fronx, Venue, Sonet, Punch etc “SUVs”.

To me, at brass tacks, they are the true cross overs and its up to us whether we want to call them super hatchbacks on steroids so to speak or miniature SUVs. Some of these are indeed altered versions of their pure hatch counterparts (like Fronx for instance), while some are shrunken versions of their bigger crossover siblings.

Fundamentally, body styles are evolving to offer that slightly extra ground clearance, causing us to debate the death of “a” particular body style. To me, for a large part it’s just an evolution (often not that much too) of a body style to adapt to our roads conditions and offer a little extra space while at it.
Axe77 is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 07:47   #5
BHPian

I don't think the segment is dying, but the numbers are settling to a lower level as the Indian PV market matures. With growing incomes, the market has moved away from small cars. Hence their share has come down. However, they will always have a demand in crowded urban environments.
Old 21st February 2024, 07:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Axe77, the hatchbacks aren't dead but have shape shifted into what we can call as a CSUV.

I always wondered that why didn't we get premium hatchbacks beyond the likes of the i20/Polo/etc. like the i30/ Golf but actually we did in the form of the Venue-Sonet and the Taigun-Kushaq.
They adapted :
- to our driving environs, with increased GC
- to our use case of 4/5 adults with more rear seat space
- to our desirability towards "road presence" with the SUV design language
- to our taxations with sub 4m, <1200cc petrols and <1500cc diesels
- to their stakeholders by increasing profit margins

A perfect case in point would be to compare the dimensions of the erstwhile S-Cross and the Golf Mk6.

The entry level hatchbacks, in addition to the above also seem to be impacted more due to the purchasing options for a bigger car. If I have to book a cab I typically go for the sedans because most have CNG tanks and its difficult to fit 3 passengers and luggage in the Alto without a boot.

I had seen another interview of Mr. Bhargava with Autocar's Hormazd where he did mention that this tilt towards SUVs is going to increase but the hatchbacks will make a comeback when the market moves to a realisation of having a small car for city usage as the crowding becomes worse. It was a matter of time.
I do believe that reasoning and I am a witness to an increasing number of households which have a SUV but a small hatchback as a city runabout.

Hence voted Yes and No

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st February 2024 at 10:54. Reason: Typo correction as requested
shancz is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 08:14   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Let’s leave the bull shitting to the marketing departments and call a spade a spade at least here. Vehicles like Punch, Exter, Fronx, Nexon, Venue, Sonet, Magnite, XUV300 etc are all hatchbacks.

The hatchback segment is not dying. It is evolving, and it is thriving. Never before has the hatchback segment been so diverse, spread across such a wide price range, so competent and also so cut throat competitive.

Marketing teams will have the audacity to call even the SPresso an SUV, and the boffins at Maruti will proudly claim to be the largest SUV maker in the country. It’s their job to fool us. It’s on us to not let them insult our intelligence. Certainly not on this forum.

If a 20L rupee Scorpio and a 2.5crore rupee GLS can both be SUVs, if a 17L rupee Verna and a 2cr S Class can both be sedans, why is the word hatchback used selectively for only the cheap and ultra basic cars? How will they spin something like a Golf or a Mini Cooper? They are also hatchbacks!

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 21st February 2024 at 08:21.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (93) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 08:50   #8
BHPian

I would say that the single most important reason for me (and some of us) would be the poor ground clearance, or rather than big speed breakers and potholes that are ever increasing in cities and even on highways.
Animesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 09:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

People are drawn strongly into the "Big is Better" mentality nowadays.

They happily buy a Venue over an i20 because the former is taller and called a SUV by the manufacture, while the reality being i20 is wider and more spacious than the venue.

Ground Clearance is an excuse. I have had sedans, SUVs and hatchbacks. Hatchbacks are the best when it comes to city usage.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 21st February 2024 at 09:30.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 09:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

3 main cars are missing here. Punch, Fronx and Exter are kind of hatchbacks only and we must calculate their numbers here. People don't buy these cars as SUV but as a spacious hatchback car. If you consider them for last month, number will increase by 40K. We can say, people are liking bigger, taller hatchbacks now for their convenience.

Actually there is a huge market for cars under 4 meter which has good engine and has all features. Considering our road conditions and traffic, people are preferring small cars over sedans or SUV's for city use. In my family, people got Nexon, Ecosport, Ignis, etc. just because they are small in overall size and more convenient for city use.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 09:52   #11
BHPian

I think in this age, the imagination of car designers is at its best. Non petrol heads are in a dilemma. Hatchbacks are no more hatchbacks I know ( I belong to old school). So many new categories unimaginable are coming and people are buying them. To tell you frankly I cannot say to be sure if you show me a car and ask me if it is hatchback or not.

As an example, my son’s car ( Audi A5 ) in USA is called sportback. What is this category?
Being a petrol head myself, I advised my son to buy a small hatchback as his first car and slowly upgrade to a bigger car. Just see what he has chosen and bought.

A sportback combines traits of a sedan, a fastback coupe, and a hatchback. Audi sportbacks have the roomy interior dimensions of a sedan, the sloping roofline and truncated rear end of a fastback coupe, and the rear door of a hatchback.
Attached Thumbnails
Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-f183228b332b4d76ac82dfbe9039d5fc.jpeg  

Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?-ba247f7f9a6f44aa8d0a005f095f2d3d.jpeg  

Last edited by Mystic : 21st February 2024 at 10:13.
Mystic is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 10:28   #12
BHPian

Re: Hatchback and SUV sales analysis | Is the hatchback segment dying?

Very interesting read. I was looking at the graphs and tables and saw TATA punch listed under top 10 SUVs. In my opinion the classification of cars into different segments are left to the imagination of consumer's and marketing folks. I saw Maruti S-Presso was listed as an Urban SUV in a leading newspaper ad.

In India we like to customize dishes to our needs but still like to tie them to their original cuisine even if it is way different than the real thing. And we are pretty happy with these nomenclature as long as it suits our taste.

Coming back to the actual topic here, if we stop our vivid imagination of calling every car with a big grill an SUV then hatchbacks (in real sense) are actually doing great in terms of sales number. Sedans on the other hand is something I have noticed decline over years.

I am just curious to know,

1. How do we (govt body) define the automotive classes (hatchback, sedans, SUVs, MPVs, A, B and C-segments)? Are the capabilities also considered?
2. If the actual segment definitions are in sync with these graphs and tables projected by esteemed automotive analysts?
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 10:31   #13

A hatch will always sell in a crowded city. I would love to buy a new Polo GT, only VW pulled it out. A Polo is such a great driving car.
qtfan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 10:37   #14

Hatchback as a segment isn't dead. A lot of the SUVs sold, especially those in the sub 4m segment are really nothing more than raised hatches. High ground clearance, roof rails, SUVish styling and high seating position aren't enough for a hatchback to be considered an SUV. When we start considering all the supposed SUVs such as Punch, Venue, Sonet, Fronx, we realise that they are a lot more hatchback than SUV. Add the numbers of those vehicles and it'll be completely different story. Assigning the word SUV to every other FWD, monocoque, sub 4m vehicle today is just a ploy by manufacturers to charge extra money, that's it.
TorqueAddict007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 10:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
On a sidenote, more than hatchbacks dying its also the number of vehicles being labeled an “SUV”, many of which may be better defined as being a “crossover” / “hybrid”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Agree with Axe77, the hatchbacks aren't dead but have shape shifted into what we can call as a CSUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Let’s leave the bull shitting to the marketing departments and call a spade a spade at least here. Vehicles like Punch, Exter, Fronx, Nexon, Venue, Sonet, Magnite, XUV300 etc are all hatchbacks.

The hatchback segment is not dying. It is evolving, and it is thriving. Never before has the hatchback segment been so diverse, spread across such a wide price range, so competent and also so cut throat competitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
Very interesting read. Coming back to the actual topic here, if we stop our vivid imagination of calling every car with a big grill an SUV then hatchbacks (in real sense)
Couldn't agree more with all of the BHPians inputs. I should have titled it as hatchback and CSUV (than SUV) sale analysis . I request our moderator to change the title.

There are only handful of SUV in our market and WE BHPians don't consider CSUV as real SUV.
JDMBOI is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed