Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Do you consider brand Audi to be on par with Mercedes & BMW?
Yes 376 52.15%
No 345 47.85%
Voters: 721. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2024, 18:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you consider brand Audi to be on par with Mercedes & BMW?

What Audi gets right is its pricing strategy (at least compared to the others) and if you're looking at a chauffeur-driven car, I'd opt for an Audi quite happily. They've done phenomenal work with ride comfort and noise insulation and feel the most India-friendly to live with.

However, from the inside, they just don't feel as rich or special as the other two. Mercedes-Benz is a level above the rest when it comes to cabin design while BMW is a level above the rest when it comes to cabin quality and how robust the car feels inside. Audis feel too VW-like on the inside. Granted, Skoda-VW's more premium products offer great quality to begin with but then it feels like the Audi premium is for the badge and badge alone.
Old 25th February 2024, 18:50   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Audi's design language makes them look performance oriented than luxury one and when it comes to part sharing.... Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, VW and Skoda use the same platform to develop cars. You will find the same chassis in Bentayga, Urus, Touareg and Urus and that's why Audi and is able to keep prices lower than competitors because no one can do part sharing as extreme as VW group
TheManualGear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 19:40   #18
BHPian

If I’ve gotta drive, it has to be RWD. I would go along with the BMWs or a Merc only because they ‘were’ quintessentially rear wheel biased. With most other sedans & now even SUVs with fwd transmissions I would prefer any brand as long as it is Rwd.
IMHO the Audi is just a honest Skoda in a suit !
rxpaul is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 20:22   #19
BHPian

I was of the opinion that Audi was a bit lower than Mercedes and BMW in aspirational value….until I saw an R8! Maybe it’s just me, but a BMW i8 or an AMG GT never seemed to have that halo effect that the R8 gave to Audi!
GKR9900 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 20:48   #20
BHPian

I personally like Audi's styling and appeal. But Audi shares technology, engine, gearbox, and platform with affordable brands like Skoda. Honestly, the Skoda Superb is much more bang for buck than the Audi A4 or even A6. This approach actually dilutes the brand. How many of us consider the 1.3 liter turbo petrol engine from Mercedes is actually Mercedes? It's just one car for Mercedes, but for Audi that's the case with most models. Though 2.0 tsi is competent than Nissan's/Merc's 1.3 engine, brand dilution impact is much higher in Audi.
It also depends on the model, for an entry level petrol suv Q3 > GLA >> X1
ramki.grandhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 21:52   #21
BHPian

Even though I have been a great fan of VAG group cars and have owned Octavia, Jetta and Kodiaq, if I plan to upgrade to the luxury brands, Audi's will probably be the last one to be in my shortlist despite the lower pricing or heavy discounts offered.

The Audi sedans feel a bit too similar to their cousins in the Skoda and VW stable and share too many parts as well. If I have to go with something in the VAG group, I would rather settle for something like from the Skoda and VW brands (NOT the made for India models) which, in my opinion, offer better value for money instead.

I don't consider it a significant upgrade in the perceived badge value especially from Skoda/VW to an Audi when compared to the Merc-Benz or BMW.

Last edited by jjp@chn : 25th February 2024 at 22:13. Reason: Minor typo correction
Old 26th February 2024, 02:19   #22
BHPian

I don't find any of the normal Audi sedans appealing primarily because they are FWD cars, and they share far too many components from the VAG parts bin that feeds their other brands.

It is a different story if you are talking about the RS4, RS6 etc., but then even in that category, I would still prefer a comparable BMW car from a personal preference standpoint.
Old 26th February 2024, 09:41   #23
Team-BHP Support

Varying with individual preferences (stellar ride quality, terrific NVH, interior quality, boot space, reasonably priced extended warranty packages, terrific engine note) the cars are at par if not better in comparison to their BMW and Mercedes counterparts.
However the brand had lost its way in India and is more than making up for it with deep discounts enabling potential buyers access luxury half or a full segment higher (A6 vs C Class, Q7 vs GLC, etc.) than they would have been with BMW or Mercedes counterparts.
30 months and 36K with my A4 and I simply love its all roundedness. It would have been a match made in heaven if it would have come with quattro, cooled front seats, a cooled glovebox and extended thigh support for the front seats but then there's a good chance it would not have fit into my price band at all. Might as well enjoy 95 percent of der kuchen at 80 percent of the cost than do without it altogether

Do you consider brand Audi to be on par with Mercedes & BMW?-img_20230910_165432_613.jpg

Do you consider brand Audi to be on par with Mercedes & BMW?-img_20230729_090434_694.jpg

Do you consider brand Audi to be on par with Mercedes & BMW?-img_20220815_164711_825.jpg

Do you consider brand Audi to be on par with Mercedes & BMW?-img_20211013_003544_724.jpg

Do you consider brand Audi to be on par with Mercedes & BMW?-img_20210918_123159_957.jpg

Do you consider brand Audi to be on par with Mercedes & BMW?-img_20240211_014842.jpg

Do you consider brand Audi to be on par with Mercedes & BMW?-img_20240206_145912.jpg

Do you consider brand Audi to be on par with Mercedes & BMW?-img_20240211_0144582.jpg

Last edited by manson : 26th February 2024 at 09:49.
manson is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 10:48   #24
BHPian

Votes Yes.

Audi is definitely up there in terms of quality and powertrains, only issue here is that the brand in India seems to have lost the plot, they do not offer Quattro on A4 and A6 sedans anymore, FWD are okay on cars costing less than 40 lakhs, above this, cars need a certain level of finesse that only RWDs or AWDs can deliver, Audi had Quattro and 6 Cylinder options before, it can restore its image by just offering these options across the range.
abaliga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 11:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Voted YES. And not because i own an A6, but because its served me well for the 36 k km I've been inside over the past 28 months.

The interiors is fantastic. There cockpit design is very inviting. The space inside the car is humongous. And design is classy and timeless. I found it way better looking when I first saw it in the showroom.

Granted they didn't focus on the brand and its value and kept allowing it to slide down a slippery slope with massive discounting, but then, those owning an Audi will know that it attracts a lot of good attention on the roads compared to the other luxury ones. More so when you drive interiors of KA or on the roads in TN.
jkrishnakj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 11:53   #26
BHPian

Off-topic - But would be interesting to have a similar thread for Volvo as well, with extra-ordinary safety features and feature packed Sedans/SUVs, would love to see how our members feel about Volvo.
The only grouse I have with them is limited model lineup.
DuHasstMich is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 11:58   #27
pms
BHPian

Voted 'Yes'. Though I dont own an Audi it's still an aspirational brand for me. I love its understated looks and the way it gels easily with the bigger traffic. Sometimes it helps being out of unwanted attention.
Old 26th February 2024, 12:13   #28
BHPian

Voted "Yes"

I feel this is the classic case of "Price signaling" but in the opposite direction. We think Audi is not as high-quality just because it is selling its cars with more discounts!

And that's why companies don't reduce prices. Audi may be selling the same cars as they do worldwide and are considered equal to Mercedes and BMW, but they have diluted their brand here by selling them for cheaper!

Last edited by shobhit.shri : 26th February 2024 at 12:14.
Old 26th February 2024, 12:16   #29
BHPian

I voted a definite YES.

I believe that these sales numbers doesn't actually reflect the true picture of Audi in India. Audi in India is totally different from other luxury brands per se.

1. The first and foremost major reason is the lack of diesel offering. The direct competition (except Volvo) offer diesel at least as an option (which takes a good share of sales).

2. Model/Variant line ups - compared to Audi, Merc and BMW have more model/variant line-ups. So the varieties and the customer brand retention is high in Merc/BMW compared to Audi.

3. Maybach S-Class/GLS are the ultimate when a customer wants to upgrade from say an E-class/S-Class/GLE/GLS. And anyone who needs a sports model will still stick to Mercedes AMG line-up. So in and around, a customer will still revolve around the three star. With respect to BMW, it is either a BMW or M or Mini or the ultimate luxury which is the Rolls-Royce. But anyone who wants an upgrade from an Audi or needs additional/alternative to an Audi, the options are S, RS, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, etc.

4. Regarding the tangible differences, it is always subjective because of the price tag. I don't see a huge difference in terms of quality, performance, build, features, maintenance cost, etc. However with respect to brand value, I see that Audi in India are not weighed the same way as a BMW/Mercedes, which doesn't make sense at all.
Eg 1 - With respect to brand perception, there is still question of why to spend more, if the Tiguan/Kodiaq/A4/Q3/Superb have the same powertrains. But the fact is Audi is definitely better in terms of all the other aspects like the luxury factor, build quality, brand perception, etc. But do all these justify the increase in price tag is subjective and similar to asking the same question for the increase in price tag between an Audi and BMW or Audi and Merc.
Eg 2- which is better - Macan or X3 M40i or GLC Coupe is also subjective. Personally, any day, for 1 crore, I will definitely take a Macan over the other 2. So I am a lost customer only to Audi, not for the VAG group.

In conclusion, I definitely consider Audi at par with Mercedes or BMW.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 12:17   #30

I am not allowed to vote yet. But my vote would be a "No". Simply put, it's because of the appeal of Mercedes or BMW. If anyone is looking for a car from the 3 Germans, it's usually a Merc or a BMW. They will first visit these, and only later on, might take a look at an Audi. None of their cars have created a buzz for someone to want it. Like the first Q7, the A6 was love at first sight and the most sought-after car, even in used car markets, but that's faded now. It's always been a company to consider, and one opts for an Audi after seeing similar options from the other 2. Most Audis are bought because of "bang for the buck", "more practical" or "amazing discounts". It's never been the first choice or creates the desire that Mercedes creates. It's simply an "also" brand, and because of that, it is always one step below the other two.

Last edited by navin : 27th February 2024 at 14:20. Reason: typos and grammatical errors
Rahul_ak is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed