Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2008, 19:59   #31
BHPian

Saw this once in Bangalore. Looks exactly like qualis but dont know how refined it is. waiting for a TD..
Old 23rd February 2008, 00:40   #32

The Rhino Rx

I own a Tata Spacio Gold with 3.0 L 407 SP engine.

I am considering the various options to change my vehicle.

I did the TD of Rhino Rx.

In Karnataka, the various variants cost between 7.6 and 8.6 lakhs.

The vehicle was OK for me and following were my observations.

1. Look and feel was medium.
2. Finish quality was medium.
3. Initial pickup was ordinary and the vehicle does really good after 60kms mark. 60 - 100, it does in 4-5 seconds. When I enquired about the issue, I was told that the turbo kicks off only after 60 kms mark. I am wondering about it. In the era of VTT, turbo kicking off at 60 is real crazy stuff. So I can easily say that the engine is best suited for highway use compared to city use.
4. In city conditions, I was unable to shift the gear above 3. In third gear it lugs when the speed is 50kms. So, the gear ratio is bit unsuitable for city conditions.
(Tata's G-76 gear box easily shifts to overdrive at 45 kms speed)
5. Power steering was responsive and breaking was good.
6. Body seems to be strong and the sales advisor claimed that recently during an accident involving rhino rx at 150kms, there was minimum injuries to people inside. But it is difficlut to imagine as I have seen deaths in muvs crashing at 70kms.

8. AC was not impressive.

9. The sound of the engine from outside is high compared to other di vehicles like tavera, scorpio m2di, the new victa di etc. But, inside it is heavily shielded.
10. I observed black smoke from 3 to 4 rhino vehicle recently. I dont know whether it is a problem or an usual thing. I have not observed the same with similar vehicle from other manufacturers which are euro2 and above.

11. The pricing is too high for a newly released non-crdi vehicle with minimum service points. Atleast it should have been 1.5 lakhs less.

My Final Verdict:

The vehicle is more suited for highway use and so suited for taxi segment which run largely on highways. The overall product quality seems to be decent.

Due to its heavy pricing compared to other similar vehicles like tata sumo, mahindra bolero, chevrolet tavera, scorpio m2di, safari tcic, tempo trax, and the new tata sumo grande, the vehicles are not selling at all and probably would not replace the defunct qualis segment.
Another 1.5 lakhs reduction to the current prices can only make some magic. Otherwise, except for a few experimenters, others may not go for the vehicle.

So my sincere request/advice to the commercial dept of the company is reduce the price drastically atleast during the next 2 years even if they sell it cost to cost. Else it would be difficult to survive in the Indian auto market.

Ganesh Laxmanmurthy
lganimys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2008, 20:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Rhino --- A qualis lookalike.

I don't know anything about the Rhino nor the company that makes it. I'm sure it should be a value for money MUV. But what really beats me is why did they zero in on the Qualis shape to design their MUV. As though Qualis was a beautiful-looking car and with its denise, someone just had to step in and make a clone.
Old 24th February 2008, 12:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

I dont think there is much offtake of this vehicle. It will take time till
it improves it's after sales.
Old 27th September 2009, 19:17   #35
BHPian

Man, it is costlier than Tata Safari even. I wonder what they have been thinking while pricing Rhino. In any case, I think they (Sonalika) should have taken one step at a time, like mahindra. Started with utility vehicles like jeeps, Armada etc and finally they have Scorpio. All said and done, experience does count. If one did not have experience, then at least they should have roped in an MNC who has.
Old 19th November 2009, 10:48   #36
BHPian

the new rhino has been launched with a 120 bhp crdi engine.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I don't know anything about the Rhino nor the company that makes it. I'm sure it should be a value for money MUV. But what really beats me is why did they zero in on the Qualis shape to design their MUV. As though Qualis was a beautiful-looking car and with its denise, someone just had to step in and make a clone.
The Rhino is made by the tractor and farm equipment manufacturer Sonalika.

I agree with you on the cloning part. They have even copied the paint schemes off the Qualis.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post

Any pictures? and updates apart from the engine?
Old 19th November 2009, 11:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Can you provide details of the same ? I do not see it on their website. It still show intercooled direct injection, with fuel system as Mechanical FIP , rotary type.

--Vikrant
Old 19th November 2009, 11:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please share some info. I was no able to find it anyplace too.

120 horses would it make it the highest in the segment.
Old 19th November 2009, 14:07   #41
BHPian

I have had a long ride in the Rhino some months back and the fit and finish on the vehicle are horrible and so is the ride quality. We were on the highway and I was scared that I was in it. No wonder it does not sell well enough. Even a Tavera is better than a Rhino!
Old 19th November 2009, 14:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
Even a Tavera is better than a Rhino!
Come on. You cannot compare a Tavera to the Rhino. And the Tavera has a very good engine and offers the best in class mileage.

However you have to hand it over that a local manufacturer was capable of such a thing.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Come on. You cannot compare a Tavera to the Rhino. And the Tavera has a very good engine and offers the best in class mileage.

However you have to hand it over that a local manufacturer was capable of such a thing.
True beejay. Exactly my point.

The pricing and segment positioning of the Rhino makes the next closest competition to the Rhino the Tavera and the Tavera is miles ahead of the Rhino. Why would anybody choose a Rhino!
Old 19th November 2009, 17:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

I'd like to add, the engine of the rhino appears to have been tweaked recently. One of the first test drive models that i drove had turbo lag which could have been measured in minutes rather seconds . My standard of reference in my TCIC indica.

however, once the thing got going, it was pretty comfortable munching miles on the highway. ( i drove it from kanyakumari to tvm and back)

I got hold of a recent model, And the turbo response was drastically improved. Almost like a diesel ritz. it kicked in early, and was pretty linear. helped a lot in the city traffic, as well as ghat roads ( i drove it to ponmudi last week).
Old 19th November 2009, 19:33   #45
BANNED

Ok who wants what about the Rhino? I stay right next to the Rhino Showroom on ORR, Bangalore. And have befriended the mechanics there.

Yes the new rhino with a CDRi Engine has been launched. Wheel spin in first gear..he he. Surprised?? Well actually there is no proper road outside the showroom, it was wet red mud, so the wheelspin.

But yeah a long way to go from them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks