Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2024, 12:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: Ford in talks with Tata for a possible JV

Ford India rumoured to enter JV with Tata Motors – new Hybrids, EVs planned.

Two years after it left India, global auto major Ford Motor is reportedly working on a comeback with multiple new products, including a compact SUV.

The company, according to a report, may use its manufacturing facility in Chennai for producing hybrid and electric vehicles.

The American carmaker has reportedly patented the new SUV design, currently not offered in any global markets and may compete in Hyundai Creta segment.

Ford Motor may be keen to collaborate with a local manufacturing partner for its return.

The report claims the company is in talks with Tata Group for a possible joint venture.

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st March 2024 at 13:03.
volkman10 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 15:05   #2
BHPian

Re: Mid-size Ford SUV design patent filed in India

Everything looks good except the collaboration with Tata Motors.
DivyanshuDiv is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 15:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivyanshuDiv View Post
Everything looks good except the collaboration with Tata Motors.
Still much better than having no presence in the country.
sandeepmdas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 15:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Still much better than having no presence in the country.
I'd beg to differ. As a owner of both Ford and Tata cars, Ford stands for a quality of vehicle that, in my personal experience, can never be matched by Tata, unless Tata is willing to learn. And their recent mis-adventures in car quality does not do any justice.

I somehow suspect Geely is doing something in the background to get into Indian market. They might just buy out the patents etc. from Ford at a crazy amount and redirect it through a JV in India. With BYD in now, Geely must be feeling there's a chance the government will allow them as well. It's all my own hypothesis at the moment.
Mad Max is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 18:29   #5
BHPian

Tata does not provide any hybrid engine options, and with the dropping sales of EVs in America and Europe, many people are opting for hybrid vehicles. So it seems natural for Tata Motors to explore for alternatives in this area.

Last edited by DustyWanderer : 1st March 2024 at 18:33. Reason: To improve the answer
DustyWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 18:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
It's all my own hypothesis at the moment.
I am also a Ford guy; an EcoSport 1.5 Petrol is part of the family and I am getting fabulous service from Harry Ford, Trivandrum since 2018. The car is absolutely free of niggles of any kind till this afternoon. The car is out of warranty but it is out of EMIs too.

We were planning to replace the car nevertheless because of the long-term uncertainty. We actually contemplated buying an i20 N-line but we soon realized, our old Ford has almost all features that the Hyundai offers plus extras, like the paddle shifters.

I am one those who are waiting for Ford to return, even if they're partnering with Satan. I can not only keep the EcoSport of another couple of years, but I can also upgrade to an Endeavor.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 1st March 2024 at 18:53.
sandeepmdas is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 19:31   #7
BHPian

I think Tata and Fiat were made for each other. Not sure about Ford. How about Ola ?

They need many models at the price we Indians expect. Looks really difficult.
Old 1st March 2024, 19:56   #8
BHPian

The first thing that pops into my head is the hope that Ford won't take inspiration from Tata's “stellar” quality control and after-sales services, and end up lowering their own standards.
Col Mehta is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 20:05   #9
BHPian

Won’t lie but recent tata fiasco’s are all over the internet and the bashing is increasing with time as they are not mending their ways. This is high time for TATA to correct its course. As much people used to be happy earlier with them, many are getting skeptical now with anything related with Tata motors. I hope they correct their actions and shortcomings or else we know where the trajectory is headed.

Last edited by TheStoryweaver : 1st March 2024 at 20:07.
TheStoryweaver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 21:57   #10
BHPian

I can see this venture failing right on its face. On one hand, you have a global champion with one of the (if not the) best ownership and after-sales support in the country v/s the exact opposite. I had my doubts regarding the Ford and Mahindra JV but Ford and Tata sound like a match made in hell, it won't work. Just go through the newly launched Tata Safari threads v/s the much older Ecosport/Endeavor threads and you'll see what I am talking about.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 22:39   #11
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Ford in talks with Tata for a possible JV

Rumour: Ford in talks with Tata for a possible JV - Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 2nd March 2024, 00:44   #12

The US Auto major not finding its own footing in a market where it already had a presence not so long ago (albeit troubled, towards the end) is a shame. There is an investment already made and a plant waiting to be used.

With the kind of stellar and robust products under its kitty, it shouldn't take Ford so much time to pick up from where it left just couple of years ago. All by itself without having to dilute what Ford stands for. The Indian market has evolved for the better, and to the brand's advantage now.

But somehow from these 'feelers' let out to media, it looks like there is nothing they have learnt. For a good number of it, they simply have to pick up learnings from Europeans and the Japanese, tweak them a bit, and hit play. I really hope they would find a leader like Joginder (under whom the company launched a very successful EcoSport) and get on India 3.0 - the customers are waiting.
vj196 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 03:28   #13
BHPian

I think it's for the good. Ford might actually use the big manufacturing plant investment, and Tata might help in justifying, in the usage of the plant.

Ultimate point of any JV is that the outcome benefits both the parties, and if that indeed does, consumers are the most happiest of all.

Personally, I would've loved the Mahindra and Ford JV. Let's see what the awaits us.
Benoit is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 08:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

With Tata having picked up Ford's expensive and expansive plant, it's only natural that Ford look to them for a JV, simply because the plant is made-to-spec for them.

Some pretty harsh words by members here about Tata while applauding Ford. My cars from Tata never suffered from issues albeit, they had some niggles in fit and finish but each one served us for over 1.5L kms, except the Nano (sold as we had three cars and two drivers) and the Safari (was borrowed from a friend), while the Vista is still chugging on at 2.15L kms. On the contrary, our Ikon 1.6 Petrol was plagued with misfiring issues throughout the time it was with us. It drove great, had a robust suspension and direct steering, guzzled fuel, rustied at many places that we had to give it a new coat. It was dad's personal car and we sold it at 90k kms.

That aside, Tata's QC and dealer experience is nothing to write home about. The cars have been robust though. If this JV takes off, let's hope Ford comes back to India and Tata also learns to make cars with fewer niggles. Let's set the negativity aside.

I believe Mahindra already has their hands full with their portfolio and do not have additional capacity or a new plant in the works for Ford to join hands.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd March 2024 at 15:04. Reason: edited
discoverwild is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 12:46   #15
BHPian

Really hope that is some fake news and the Ford mangement has enough sense to not tie up with a company like TATA motors. Their ownership experiences, product quality etc. are poles apart and I can't think of anything (other than the Ford's old plant) that Ford would get out of this relationship.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed