Team-BHP - The Indian Petrol Scene: BSIII Cities and BSIII Fuel?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Indian Petrol Scene: BSIII Cities and BSIII Fuel? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/27863-indian-petrol-scene-bsiii-cities-bsiii-fuel.html)

MODS: Thought of posting it in Technical Stuff but thought there is nothing really technical about this. Hope this is the right place. I have discussed this in another thread but could not get any conclusive help since probably that was not a thread started for this particular aspect. Thought i could get some good inputs if its put on a new thread. MODS Please Allow.

Will you agree that Normal Petrol if 91 Octane in 11 cities!!!

Let's just see a few facts.

The Indian Oil Corporation site mentions that it has 2 kinds of fuel

- BSII fuels come in RED / ORANGE colour. Red is 93 octane, orange is 88 octane
- BSIII fuel only has an ORANGE coloured fuel - thats 91 octane

See : Indian Oil Corporation :: Products_Gasoline

Times of India mentions that there are 11 BSIII cities in india as on April 1 2005.

"BS-II takes over the whole of India except 11 select cities that are under BS-III reign. Along with the four major metros — National Capital Region (NCR), Chennai, Mumbai, and Kolkata — cities like Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Hyderabad & Secunderabad, Kanpur, Pune, Agra & Surat too will go the BS-III way. The rest of India, meanwhile, will drive into the BS-II territory on All Fools Day"

See: Every thing about Bharat Stage norms-India Business-Business-The Times of India

Here is another confirmation from SIAM

"India is harmonizing its Emission Norms for Four Wheelers with the European Regulation and has adopted Euro III, equivalent norms in 11 Metropolitan Cities from Apr 1 2005. For Two Wheelers, which constitutes 70% of the vehicle population unique Indian emission norms, which are one of the tightest in the world have been adopted"

see : Indian Vehicle Emission Norms | Safety Standards | Emission Regulations by Auto Industry in India.

Doesnt all this make it clear that atleast in the above mentioned 11 cities, all fuel sold is of BSIII standards and is 91 Octane!!!

Are we really being cheated by being charged extra just for additives that are added in the Branded Petrols? Why are we kept in dark on the actual Octane Value of all fuels available?

All the regular petrol in India is now 91 octane.

You've to pay extra for the additives in premium fuels. There is no cheating in that !

Ummm... interesting question. And the question as I get it is "Why do the pumps refrain from displaying the Octane Value of the fuel they are selling?"

This is really important. Otherwise you actually have a problem in hand. In fact those of us who drive long distances over the highways not only have to contend with bad fuel but also BS-II fuel in their BS-III cars. And this is something I have thought about a lot but could not arrive at a solution. And that makes me jittery. BS-II fuel may actually cause problems to the catcon in the car which could be a costly replacement. I suspect even the EGR mechanism in the BS-III cars may not take very kindly to the BS-II fuel.

And to make matters worse, recently in Kolkata I was at a pump in Kolkata North fringes (but very much within Kolkata) and the pump had a brass plaque that highlighted the fact that "All fuel sold in this pump is BS-II compliant". Below that there was a laminated BVQi certificate of audit and such stuff. Nobody gives those things a look but I noticed it and had my brows furrowed. Unfortunately the pump guys had no clue about the import of what was hanging there on the wall. They very confidently say "Yes sar... all fuels BS-II only. saartifaaid...". :p

I still do not know whether people who fill up in that popular pump (at least 90% will be BS-III cars I am sure) really ever noticed that innocuous looking certificate which spells doom if true!

I wa about to ask this question. I see that fuel all over India has to be BS III compliant from 1st April 2005. Reat it from the horse's mouth:-
Feature

But last week, I saw an "unleaded petrol" sign at a pumt somewhere on my way to Koothattukulam (about 50 KM from Ernakulam), via Piravom. It may be some near the chottanikkara temple - I simply did not notice it then, only after 2 or 3 hours did the thing flash on me.

I remember reading somewhere that all petrol should be unleaded, and then, why did this pump carry the "unleaded" sign?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithun (Post 539537)
All the regular petrol in India is now 91 octane.

You've to pay extra for the additives in premium fuels. There is no cheating in that !

But mithun, i dont think even 50% of people know that all fuel is now 91 Octane. I serached on the net and apart from some old news items that said that this would be implemented, i could not find any information that could really confirm this fact. Also do we still have only 11 BSIII cities???:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 539917)
I wa about to ask this question. I see that fuel all over India has to be BS III compliant from 1st April 2005. Reat it from the horse's mouth:-
Feature

But last week, I saw an "unleaded petrol" sign at a pumt somewhere on my way to Koothattukulam (about 50 KM from Ernakulam), via Piravom. It may be some near the chottanikkara temple - I simply did not notice it then, only after 2 or 3 hours did the thing flash on me.

I remember reading somewhere that all petrol should be unleaded, and then, why did this pump carry the "unleaded" sign?

It's at the Piravom. But don't fill from those pumps at Piravom !

No Quantity & Quality !

Is there a shortage for Xtra Premium at Trivandrum? The local Supplyco pump havent got their load of that for the last 6 days!