Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2004, 20:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

I can show a flaw for every KM of the golden quadrilater.

There are no proper exits and people drive directly on to the highway from the side roads.

Most of the villages and towns are not properly by passed.

There is no proper discipline. I usually watch bullock carts coming in the wrong direction, headon towards you in the overtake lane.

Most of the truck usually travel in the overtake lane

These are the few things I can think of right now.
Old 27th September 2004, 21:34   #17
BHPian

Last time when i was travelling in one such roads, i came accross the following...

1. A 41kmph truck trying to overtake a 40kmph truck on a steep road.

2. On the TN, Karnataka border, the trucks waiting for some *kind of clearence or what ever, are all lined up all along, occupying one of the lanes.

3. Was peacefully cruising at 100, and all of a sudden some 20,30 mts in front of me, one tvs 50 fellow, crossed all 4 lanes in one quick move, just like that. No hesitation, nothing from that fellow. Only my heart skipped a beat.

4. *2,3 carcass of dogs!!! Avoided all but one.

5. When a slow moving truck moves to left lane, u think u have finally seen some civilisation... guess what... couple of head lights slams right on ur face... A mini van or cab or whatever, coooly travells in the opposite direction with their head lights on. Since they have built a median all along the HW, these guys are lazy to go down all the way and take a U-turn, so takes this short cut.

And this on a 140km strectch from Bangalore to darumapuri...

Golden Quadrilateral... *[img]http://www.team-bhp.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/***.gif[/img]

But the quality of the roads were really good and the traffic also was less.
Old 28th September 2004, 16:40   #18
BHPian

Hi Guys,
You can refer to www.nhai.org ... a website on the HIGHWAYS project of India. This site (of National Highways Authority of India) gives you details of progress /maps etc on the Highways projects in India.

Currently there are 2 major projects going on :
01.Golden Quadrangle (connecting Delhi-Kolkata-Chennai-Bangalore-Mumbai-Delhi)
02. NSEW Corridor
a) East-West Corridor ( connecting Silchar ,in East TO Porbandar in West)
b) North-South Corridor (connecting Srinagar to Kanyakumari)

These two projects will ensure 4/6 laning of around 13146 kms of highways at an estimated cost of Rs.54000 crores.

Also, unlike many govt. sites, this website is updated on regular basis (& it actually tells you which part of the project is behind schedule !! , how much/which part has been completed etc.)
You can also check out the maps of highways project.

Arijit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks