Team-BHP - The Golden Quadrangle Project
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Golden Quadrangle Project (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2787-golden-quadrangle-project.html)

For the following reasons...

1) Only two lanes each way. (should be ATLEAST three lane)

2) There are numerous exits/ entrances along the way that makes a mockery of the concept of "highways" (believe me, some places have exits/ entrances on the WRONG side of the road!)

3) There are flyovers OVER the highways. (like the one at the exit to Pune near Hingewadi). What were the planners thinking? That pedestrians/ cyclists/ autorickshaw drivers will use the flyover to get to the other side of the highway?

It's all so sickening!

- mvk

no matter the best of roads here will always be less. so cant be bothered much

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] Only two lanes each way. (should be ATLEAST three lane)

THis is that most surprised me when I saw the initial plans. What the heck? How long are two lanes going to hold capacity?

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Sep. 24 2004,18:17)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] Only two lanes each way. (should be ATLEAST three lane)

THis is that most surprised me when I saw the initial plans. What the heck? How long are two lanes going to hold capacity?

GTO

This 2 lanes them selves are bloody costly... even developed countries, outside city limit, they have only 2 lanes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (gkrishn @ Sep. 24 2004,20:12)]This 2 lanes them selves are bloody costly... even developed countries, outside city limit, they have only 2 lanes...

Hey, we are not talking *any* highway, these are trunk routes that are expected to serve as the bloodline for the coming fifty years at least... (only then they will be viable economically)

My complaint (as if anybody cares!) is that like everything else, this smells of corruption/ shortsightedness/ stupidity.

The premise is that the incremental cost of a three lane highway is less than if we have to convert it to a > 3 lane highway at a later date.

If any one of you have read the article on the American highway system in the Fortune magazine sometime back, they planned for a 14 lane highway in the 30s! Now there are plans to convert some of these to 24 lanes because of congestion.

- mvk

what is the Golden Quadrangle project anyways?

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GrimReaper @ Sep. 24 2004,20:45)]what is the Golden Quadrangle project anyways?

Properly designed highway (I'm dreaming) to link Delhi-Mumbai-Chennai-Kolkata

yeah,

we were promised a highway..so all motorists including the trucks and trailers and buses get one lane and the bullock carts, tractors, cyclists of the village where the highway passes thru get the other lane. ( mind u they can drive in any direction on any side of the road )

its our duty to be careful so that they arent harmed

cheers

Greenhex,

Where did you get this info from? ..just wondering how final it is.
Has actual work on this project started?

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GrimReaper @ Sep. 24 2004,20:45)]what is the Golden Quadrangle project anyways?

its an extension of heaven.

even with 2 lanes its going to be fun driving on these.
its only bcas of this project that we are getting better vehicles.
Volvo's are replacing other HV ,and operators are buying these only bcas of this project.
if u consider the mumbai bangalore route,it takes only 17hrs in a volvo bus against the previously taken 24hrs in other buses.
this inspite of the whole project being incomplete at many places.
just imagine the quality of road travel ,after this gets completed.

a 4 lane highway all over the country is too expensive to build.inspite of there being other major issues,that we are getting this GQ is in itself a great boon.

this could be the start.maybe in future we will get more lanes.
also i dont think we have soo much land available for a 6 lane .and where ever possible ,the roads are indeed wide enough.

satya

I'm sorry but for such an extensive project, even with the financial constraints, a minimum of a 4-lane Highhway should be there! With all the transport going through these major cities the two lane highway will go to its maximum capacity in absolutely no time at all. Just imagine if a fast, 4-lane highway (Mumbai-Pune) is jampacked with traffic at most of the areas then what will be the major cities be where just the Trucks will take up more than 75% of the road area with the way they drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ Sep. 24 2004,22:54)]Where did you get this info from? ..just wondering how final it is.
Has actual work on this project started?

Hey, this was all over the newspapers a couple of years back! I think you are not in India to have missed it, right?

The current status seems to be that much of the land acquisition is complete. Several links are ready as of now... (Mumbai <-> Bangalore, for example)

- mvk

Hey thats news,never knew bout this project.
Good thing if it is executed perfectly without our politicians making money outta it.But a 4-way would be a boon.
2-way after so extensive thinking is not acceptable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Good thing if it is executed perfectly without our politicians making money outta it

well a guy called dubey was killed coz he objectd to certain goig ons in land of bihar during this construction .....was all over the papers .......

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GrimReaper @ Sep. 25 2004,04:00)]I'm sorry but for such an extensive project, even with the financial constraints, a minimum of a 4-lane Highhway should be there! With all the transport going through these major cities the two lane highway will go to its maximum capacity in absolutely no time at all. Just imagine if a fast, 4-lane highway (Mumbai-Pune) is jampacked with traffic at most of the areas then what will be the major cities be where just the Trucks will take up more than 75% of the road area with the way they drive.

hey grimreaper,
it is a 4 lane highway almost everywhere.i.e. atleast 2 lanes on either side.
it can never be like the ankola rd ,still it's superb and u can easily 1000km in 15-16hrs on this road in a properly maintained small car which was definitely not possible for everyone previously .