Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2007, 00:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL
The amby is like the Indigo of today, good to be chauferred in, whereas the padmini was like the RS of today, good only to be driven.
Wrong comparison,sir. They weren't too far apart.
Old 22nd August 2007, 01:16   #17
BHPian

Well Fiats were funky - hence for the newly married couples ........

Ambys were for the couple once married and now with there 3 generations
Old 22nd August 2007, 01:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Mumbai doesn't have broad roads like say Calcutta
Lol. Wide roads... Calcutta?? Not so sure my friend. And you'll be surprised at the dexterity the Amby taxis display in the narrow, congested streets of the City of Joy. Some of them defy the laws of physics!

We were an Amby family until my dad bought a Maruti Van. Grew up around them, was driven around in them and learnt to drive on one of them! Somehow I was never too inclined towards the Padmini's (no idea why). And having lived in Cal for the majority of my life, I guess Amby's are an intrinsic part of me.
Old 22nd August 2007, 01:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Wrong comparison,sir. They weren't too far apart.
Wrong comparison with the RS ?

I think i know my amby & PAL pretty well
Old 22nd August 2007, 01:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Either the Fiat had a higher top speed or my dad was a slow driver..coz we were always overtaken by Fiats on the highway.
I have lost count of how many Amby's we have seen turned cockroach (roof down) on the highway. Amby's always felt that the engine was running out of breath after 80's, mainly attributed to Final drive gearing.

Quote:
What were the sales numbers like in the 70s and 80s. Did one consistently outsell the other.
Amby consistently outsold the Fiat. Pal had production constraints and the Amby was always relatively competitively priced in comparison to the padmini's. Though all this not from actual Data but folklore of our area.
Old 22nd August 2007, 02:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

I had asked a similar query on the wagon-r taxi thread as well,how did you find the steering wheel mounted gearbox concept guys,nowadays anyway with each generation of cars the gearbox is getting closer and closer to the dashboard[will it go back to the steering].

Did not really tend to associate fiats with floor gears,also a few other things made me feel amongst the two it was fiat that caught up very slowly with change although one can't really associate the ambassador with change either but maybe it was the winner amongst the two in this regard.
Old 22nd August 2007, 02:35   #22
BHPian

i remember my uncle's amby mark 4 in madras that zipped me across the city on holidays.(it sounded like an express train though!).
the amby was so much more comfortable than a fiat.
guess thats why the majority in our country preferred them for cabs.
Old 22nd August 2007, 03:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

my family has owned both the fiat and the amby. i always prefered going to school in the amby as it was more comfortable and i had plenty of place to play. the fiat on the other hand was very cramped.
the seats of the amby was like a thrown, comfortably cushioned waht a feeling have slept on the seats a million times. the fiat seats on the other hand was upright and uncomfortable. could not sit straight forget sleeping.
Old 22nd August 2007, 03:37   #24
BHPian

Call it a coincedence,me and my elder brother were speaking on good old days in family ambassador(till 1998) and i bumped into this thread! goody.

I had almost finalised on a NEW ambassador before finally ending up with a victa turbo last year. I still am looking for a OHV(the model which succeded landmaster) and if i get it....Old beauty with all orginal interiors and exteriors with new mechanicals(especialy the brakes)is my eventual desire.

Errr...yes iam obviously am on ambys corner.
Old 22nd August 2007, 05:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ini-specs.html

A related topic with specs of Amby and Fiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Hello, what exactly we're discussing here?

An really old Amby owner wants to know..
Well Rudra, as a young stylish stud back in the 80s, what made you pick a homely Amby over a hot Fiat? Thats what we like to know

Last edited by Mpower : 22nd August 2007 at 05:14.
Old 22nd August 2007, 07:16   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well Rudra, as a young stylish stud back in the 80s, what made you pick a homely Amby over a hot Fiat? Thats what we like to know
I was not a stud or stylish in the first place. May be that was the reason I picked up an Amby.

Amby was easy to get at a good price. Cheap to look after. But man, you have to have huge energy (which I think I have) to keep an Amby in right shape.
Old 22nd August 2007, 11:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread. Very nostalgic.

I for one think that Fiats were more preferred due to size. The Fiat was the perfect city car back then while the Amby was quite a handful for its size. Of course the space in the Fiat was no match for the mighty Amby. If I remember most of the yellow black Amby taxis in Mumbai were only the long distance ones like Mumbai to Pune and other destinations. I have seen quite a few fleets of those Amby taxis.

And yes who can forget the awesome sounds of the Fiats which make you feel you are going faster than you really are.

Boy its been ages since I've driven a column shift car.
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Nice thread. Very nostalgic.

And yes who can forget the awesome sounds of the Fiats which make you feel you are going faster than you really are.

Boy its been ages since I've driven a column shift car.
how come you guys missed this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ight=nostalgic

thats why i love the fiat - but you can always make her sound and go fast at the same time.

AFAIK Aditya owns a Fiat (column shift) - or else if you ever come to Kolkata - you can drive one - either mine or 1100D's - well depends
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
how come you guys missed this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ight=nostalgic

thats why i love the fiat - but you can always make her sound and go fast at the same time.

AFAIK Aditya owns a Fiat (column shift) - or else if you ever come to Kolkata - you can drive one - either mine or 1100D's - well depends

Yep Aditya has a 62' Fiat. Driven it lots of times but its really been long. He even had a 78' Amby few years ago. Tried my hand at that too. Boy thats a gigantic steering wheel
Old 22nd August 2007, 15:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Loved the Mk-I Bakelite steering wheel with the turn signal knob at the boss. The boss was also pretty, finished in a black and pearl finish with the golden "H" in a red surround and with dots around the circumference. This one had three solid Bakelite spokes with a horn ring. Cant see then anymore

Most Viewed