Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2024, 18:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My diesel car crossed the 10-year mark | MCD seizes & tows away the car to a scrapping agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
Quick Question to NCR folks.

Why is it that there arent any EV converters in the city who can ideally take an Old car and convert it into a EV which is essentially non polluting. There is no point scrapping an entire car. It is essentially waste of resources, time and money.

NCR will be such a huge market for these converters.
I'm not from NCR but...

Technically speaking, there is a LOT more complexity and cost involved in EV conversion vs say, a CNG kit (which it seems maybe should also be a permissible way to at least extend a car's life to the original 15 years already paid for - but I digress).

On something like a Maruti van with its mechanical simplicity, conventional drivetrain, and lots of space for a battery, it may be feasible. But remember that a battery large enough to run a car can cost as much as a couple lakhs (or more). And then there is a motor, controls, actual labor, and (oh, Lord) the esteemed certifying authorities and their fees... this is assuming they'd have the bandwidth to actually inspect thousands of converted cars every month/ year. Which is doubtful. And what other incentive is there for them?

Whereas a new van with 15 years' registration might cost 5?

Not sure this is feasible. What is being done abroad may or may not translate.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 11th April 2024 at 18:17.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 18:20   #32
BHPian

Re: My diesel car crossed the 10-year mark | MCD seizes & tows away the car to a scrapping agency

There are car dealers from the South who are into the business of acquiring older cars from the NCR, refurbishing them and selling them in their home states - for prices less than what the customer would have to pay for a similar car registered in their home state.

Toyotas namely the Innova & Fortuner are the favourites among these guys. I'm sure there are 'agencies' who will pick up your 8-9 year old diesel cars to legally ship them to states which don't have the 10 year rule yet.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 21:54   #33
BHPian

The OP ought to have contemplated selling or parting ways with their beloved car well in advance, rather than procrastinating until the eleventh hour.
I made the difficult decision to part with my meticulously maintained Micra Diesel after enjoying it for nine years. Similarly, a close relative bid farewell to his exceptional Superb petrol after fourteen years of cherished ownership.
Unfortunately, this relative is unable to afford a new car of similar or a segment lower due to other financial commitments ( home loan)

Additionally, another friend, who suffered business setbacks due to the COVID-19 pandemic, now finds themselves unable to invest in a pre-owned vehicle due to the limited usable lifespan of older models.

In the NCR region, status plays a significant role, and both individuals are constrained from transitioning to more budget-friendly hatchbacks.

It's undeniably disheartening to say goodbye to a beloved vehicle because of what may appear to be arbitrary regulations imposed by entities such as the NGT.

Last edited by bravo82in : 11th April 2024 at 21:59. Reason: Rephrasing
bravo82in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 00:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddarth_Ramani View Post
I'm aware of the 11 month rule, the car entered Karnataka in March 2024. I plan on re-registering it here by July. However some colleagues and neighbours suggested that I can keep using other state vehicles in Bangalore without any problems. Most of them are from Kerala, Orissa and North. After that I have also observed that more than 60% of vehicles in my apartment and office parking are out of state vehicles. So curious as to how long I can use my car without re-registration.
If you intend to follow the law in letter and spirit, you ought to transfer the registration to the RTO associated with the new place of residence, paying the appropriate road tax (conscious of the hassles in getting a refund from the previous RTO)

Makes so sense crying over spilt milk later if KA cracks the whip.
Old 12th April 2024, 07:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
One of the reason that I choose to register my car in my native paying less taxes and with no sword of NGT after 10 years. There is absolutely nothing which works with the Environmental activists cum policy hawkers cum milords & babus in MCD / South block. So better be proactive & take your cars out of NCR or sell them if nearing 10 years and avoid all the heart burn. There is a huge pre-owned market outside NCR for such cars.
Am really curious as to what the

1) Ministry of External Affairs
2) Ministry of Defence
3) Ministry of Home
4) Ministry of Finance
5) PMO

Have to do with a scrapping policy initiated by a Delhi High court order with the policies to implement those having been prepared and are being executed by the Govt of Delhi.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 11:03   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Am really curious as to what the

1) Ministry of External Affairs
2) Ministry of Defence
3) Ministry of Home
4) Ministry of Finance
5) PMO

Have to do with a scrapping policy initiated by a Delhi High court order with the policies to implement those having been prepared and are being executed by the Govt of Delhi.
Do not want to make this thread political but in my limited understanding of law, High court cannot order policy framework, It's job is to interpret law not make it.

Secondly, Govt of NCR of Delhi works directly under LG who inurn is appointed by president based on names suggested by ministry in South block. In fact public appointed govt in Delhi cannot implement anything unless they have the blessings of Centre and LG.

Problems are random rules / Orders without proper due diligence and studies. There too they are implemented based on how much money one can make.

In Op's case, if he goes via rules, he still have time on his side to save his car. His car was not plying on road but was in his private property. Within Delhi, there are many abandoned cars hogging public places which need scrapping in real but they never get picked up as they hold no value to scrapper. Realty is that these car scrap vendors works in cahoots with authorities and take away healthy cars for free before showing them as scrapped on paper but in realty these cars often end up in remote areas with new paper or parts gets sold at handsome rate thus earning profits for the those in power.
.sushilkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 11:15   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Secondly, Govt of NCR of Delhi works directly under LG who inurn is appointed by president based on names suggested by ministry in South block. In fact public appointed govt in Delhi cannot implement anything unless they have the blessings of Centre and LG.

Problems are random rules / Orders without proper due diligence and studies. There too they are implemented based on how much money one can make.
There is no such thing as Govt of NCR of Delhi. NCR consists of the state of Delhi, as well as large swathes of Haryana and a few districts of UP and Rajasthan. The 10 year law has been implemented for all of NCR. Enforcement is, however, totally on the shoulders of the state police, ie, the state governments of the respective areas. If the state is unwilling to enforce, like it is for most places of NCR, then nothing happens. But they day they get some stick and take out a drive, they are fully within their powers to impound and scrap. Like what is happening in places like Panipat nowadays.

Enforcement is maximum in Delhi, simply because it is the capital and gets maximum visibility. All experiments happen in Delhi, all initiatives are first implemented in Delhi. Other places tend to go under the radar. Of course, realpolitik, vested interests and corruption have a role to play in all things sarkari, but that just a reality of today’s times.

The OP, being from Delhi, knows all that. He messed up with his timeline, that’s on him. But he has a valid point that the redressal mechanism as stated is inexistent on the ground. This is something that affects all of us here who have diesel cars.

The NGT order being ‘random’ or ‘without due diligence’ can be debated here endlessly. But it is an NGT order which means it HAS TO be implemented.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 12th April 2024 at 11:26.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 18:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
This is exactly the reason why I am in the midst of approaching various online car selling platforms as my used Honda Accord is 31 days less than its expiration.
Hi

Can you share some photos of your car to me in whatsapp? I am in chennai and i want to know if i can buy the car and keep it running in chennai. Sent a DM with my whatsapp number.

Regards
Dev
Old 12th April 2024, 19:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Hi

Can you share some photos of your car to me in whatsapp? I am in chennai and i want to know if i can buy the car and keep it running in chennai. Sent a DM with my whatsapp number.

Regards
Dev
Dev, you can check this link with detailed information about the car along with the photos:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...cord-2-4l.html (An exhaustive ownership review of my Honda Accord 2.4L AT)
ritedhawan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 22:42   #40
BHPian

Gods, finally, smiled.

I got my Renault Duster (Sandy) released from the Nirvana scrappers' scrapyard in Baghpat.

1. How did I get it back?

On Friday, I met Senior officers of the MCD and the Delhi Transport Department.

The MCD Administrative Officer in the SDMC office was very helpful. He gave me a patient hearing to understand the issue in full detail.

My affidavit was accepted. I paid the fine of Rs. 10,000. And, the 'Release order' was generated within 15 minutes.

2. The Delhi Transport Department officer assured me that I could apply for the NOC later. There is no bar on it. He was very cooperative and explained the entire rationale of having the NOC in the case of transfers outside Delhi.

3. The Nirvana Scrappers team charged their fee. I paid them Rs. 2500 for towing (mandated by the Hon'ble Delhi High Court) and a parking charge of Rs. 6400/-. I was instructed to visit the scrapyard on Saturday to get the car.

4. On Saturday, I visited the scrapyard with my brother. The Nirvana Scrappers team helped me retrieve the car. The entire process took around 30 minutes.

The car was kept well. There were no visible dent marks. The battery, chassis, and tyres were intact and in proper condition.

I would like to thank the Nirvana team for taking good care of the vehicle.

Lessons learned:

1. Get your petrol or diesel vehicle out of your Delhi residence before the registration expires. There is no chance you can keep your vehicle unless you have a private parking space. I suggest completing the transfers at least 6 months ahead of the registration expiration.

2. Apply for the NOC well ahead of time. The NOC application is the Form 28 application. You need to fill it out online. For the NOC application to be accepted, you need to provide the registration certificate of your vehicle and the Aadhar card details of the transferee located outside Delhi.

3. Once you get the NOC, you have 30 days to transfer the vehicle to the transferee outside Delhi.

Mandatory thanks

I am full of gratitude for the Gods who ensured I got my vehicle back (emotional connect).

And, I would like to thank all of you for sharing your valuable insights and offering support, when I needed it the most. I am extremely grateful for the legal assistance offered by many established advocates based in Delhi.

A special word of 'Thanks' to GTO. The coffee is on me.

And, finally, India is a wonderful country and the Indians are very helpful. This comes from me after having seen the entire exercise from start to finish in the past 14 days. I have received assistance when I least expected it. And, from people whom I did not know.

Suggestions for the scrapping policy

I am too small a person to offer any suggestions or advice to the Delhi Government or the Municipal Corporation of Delhi. Both have very capable officers and policymakers.

Having met so many affected people on the ground, it is my humble request that the Delhi Government considers the following:

1. Rather than seizing the vehicles and sending them over to Baghpat, it may be a good idea to issue a seizure notice to the vehicle owner. Just paste the notice on the vehicle windscreen or rear screen.

Give the vehicle owner 4-6 weeks to remove the vehicle or face scrapping. This will also save time and energy spent in towing and transporting the vehicles to the scrapyard.

The case in point is of a very humble person whose motorcycle of 15 years 1 day was picked up and sent for scrapping. The guy had tears in his eyes and regretted that he could not send the motorcycle in time to his little brother in Bihar.

We need to have empathy for everyone/

2. Please help set up an online platform to facilitate the handling of affidavits.

The MCD department is so swamped with work that it becomes tedious for the affidavits to be accepted, scrutinized, and processed by the MCD team. My thoughts are with the MCD team for the extreme pressure they find themselves under.

Trust me, people on the ground are not against the NGT order. All want Delhi air to be cleaner.

3. The parking fee for the vehicles does seem a bit steep to me.

Maybe, the Government of Delhi could consider the request of the common people of Delhi and reduce it to make it more affordable.

This will also ensure a good gesture for the people of Delhi.

4. Please provide more clarity on the various discounts on new vehicle purchases if the vehicle is scrapped on behalf of the Delhi Transport Department.

On a final note, I have no hard feelings for anyone. I am glad it turned out well.

I seek your suggestions in waiting for either:

a) converting the Duster into electric mode (I know it is difficult)

or

b) send it over to my wife's cousin in Ludhiana.

Once again, thank you to the seen and unseen forces that made this project possible.
rdhawan15 is offline   (112) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 09:07   #41
BHPian

Glad that you got your car back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
Although electric conversion is a good idea but I am more interested in knowing if converting into petrol allows the vehicle to get registered for next 5 more years. There is also a possibility of converting a petrol vehicle into CNG which is another advantage if that extends the registration period further.
tbppjpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 09:24   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
This is exactly the reason why I am in the midst of approaching various online car selling platforms as my used Honda Accord is 31 days less than its expiration.
Hi..

I think 31 days is also cutting it too short.

Permit me to share my experience:
1) It took me nearly a month and a half to get the NoC, this after we went through an agent/tout. This has unfortunately become another income source for some touts and officials.

2) Also please do consider the NoC doesn't confirm the safety of your precious asset rather complicates the matter, as (if stopped by a cop on the road) the vehicle's registration validity is then subject to the interpretation of this official, making it risky to drive in NCR and other states.

3) Getting a new registration in another state is another issue that you may or may not have to face. That itself is another daunting task

Apologies for the gloomy but true picture

Regards
LiveLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 09:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I visited the MCD office thrice. I visited the Transport office at Wazirpur and Civil Lines as well.

However, I am unable to submit the application in the MCD office or the Delhi Transport Department office for the Wazirpur authority.
The Transport Department sends me to the MCD office. The MCD office sends me back to the Transport Department.
Hi

Just to address this specific problem, may I suggest you hire a tout to do this on your behalf. You can find them outside the RTOs.

To my knowledge this is a nexus of the many departments and they are thriving on the fact that most of us don't have the time to keep up the chase (from one department to another, as you are experiencing).

The most important thing is to get your asset/car back and the other legal procedures can follow. However, legal-judicial process being mentioned here consumes a lot of resources (time and money) so might be prudent to take a call on whether you would be better off financially or otherwise going through this.

My learning of going through legal processes is you have to, at the start decide whether you are going to fight it for logical or emotional reasons. As sometimes, an emotional win may come at a price!

All the best and hope you get your asset back
LiveLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 10:14   #44
BHPian

Congratulations ! Now I suggest, choose option 2 and take the duster out of NCR and be done and dusted with it. As a substitute, you can either go for a new car or a good second hand one. There may be right or wrong about any policy but we should be able to accept it and then act accordingly. Like many, I too wish the 10 year old diesel vehicle policy should be relooked at and withdrawn.

Quote:
Gods, finally, smiled.

I got my Renault Duster (Sandy) released from the Nirvana scrappers' scrapyard in Baghpat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLife View Post
Hi..

I think 31 days is also cutting it too short.
Apologies for the gloomy but true picture

Regards
My brother got a Delhi car NOC rather quickly and got it re-registered in Jaipur. He got a new RC, new number, new high security number plate. There was no hassle as he took the services of an agent during re-registration but that is ok as long the agent charges are reasonable in lieu of time and energy you would have to spend in the RTO.

I am sure thousands of NOCs are issued and cars getting re-registered in other states. Things happen.

Last edited by graaja : 14th April 2024 at 11:03. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use Edit or Multiquote options
autobahnjpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 12:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I seek your suggestions in waiting for either:

or

b) send it over to my wife's cousin in Ludhiana..[/u]
Congrats Bro!

Suggest you go with option 2.

Incidentally, I also sent my car to Ludhiana.

If you do decide to go with Option 2, some considerations:

1) Do hire the services of an agent

2) The Ludhiana RTO is now split into two zones, thus the numbers may vary i.e., PB10 and a new zone with PB30/31 (I think)

3) The original RTO (PB10) seems to choked and is taking very long to complete the process and issue new numbers

4) The NoC is valid for six months from the date of issue

Regards
LiveLife is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed