Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2007, 15:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

1. launch Diesel Models for a good price Santro CRDi @ ~4 lac flat
2. Getz Crdi not costing more than 5lac no matter swift costs more they cannot price it with swift.
3. Compete with Tuscon with SAFARI and SCORPIO they might just click with price being lower or equal to 9 lacs for 4x4
4. Stop making cars which costs 10+ lac. You cannot compete with skoda period. I am a fan of ELANTRA but u just cannot compete dude... Even maruti got it right this time with SX4.
5. launch one more small car to come back into small car competition
6. get a facelift for VERNA. I know people get used to the shape but i have seen a lot of people who just dont buy verna for looks.
Old 24th August 2007, 16:11   #32
tez
BHPian

With the introduction of PA, i think Hyundai would have another small car. Mainly they should think at launching diesel models with good pricing strategy.
Also they can enter tavera/innova segment.

I think VERNA is too light for its power.
Old 24th August 2007, 16:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
If I was Hyundai management, I'd start a huge advertising campaign, teaching people how to pronounce Hyundai.
Here we go again...
hehehe just couldnt resist it Could You Sam!

If I were the management, I would close eyes and get out a Getz diesel to compete with Swift D.
The primary reason why i went for Swift over Santro was the closely placed prices, anyway.
Old 24th August 2007, 19:00   #34
BHPian

too much focus on exports?

Despite the obvious failures (the Getz pricing, the delay in the elantra launch), hyundai india hasn't really been quick to respond. Given that they are the country's 2nd largest auto makers, this sounds really strange!

Could one of the reasons be a higher focus on exports (due to better margins or whatever) making it take its eye off the indian market? I was reading on their website that they exported 1 lac cars by October, 2004, yet reached a 4 lac milestone by August, 2007. That could mean more focus on 'profitability' (via exports) than 'marketshare in India'!
Old 24th August 2007, 19:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
If I was Hyundai management, I'd start a huge advertising campaign, teaching people how to pronounce Hyundai.
I still dont know how its pronouced. These are the variations that I have heard:
1. Gulf countries: HAVUNDAI
2. US: UNDAI
3. India: HYUUNDAI
4. Others: HEEUNDAY, HUNDAY

Jokes apart, I think getting the diesel to India is the fastest thing the company should do.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 24th August 2007 at 19:11.
Old 24th August 2007, 21:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

I think Hyundai needs to get diesel fast, i was going to buy a Getz CRDi but Hyundai delayed it and i went for Swift D.
Old 25th August 2007, 01:06   #37
BHPian

I guess in summary the mantra to the sub 10L vehicles is DIESEL, correct pricing.

They would have been ideal candidates for the people mover category - the call center taxis in particular. They missed the bus. Tata and Toyota were smart to catch on to it.

Other than the Verna, you have not really seen any action or new introductions from them.

In the 10L+ they lost their act - the secret of their success in the US is that they are the best fitted interiors and specs AND priced lower than their competitors - typically the top of the line Hyundai (matches the top of the line competitor) is priced as at the entry level of the competitor.

Out here the Tuscon and the Sonata have poor quality interiors. The Sonata especially compared to its competitors. The old Sonata had good interiors (compared to its competitors) and priced well. It had status value at that time. Today, the aspiration levels have increased, the demands are higher, and the bar of quality been raised higher. Honda and Skoda spoilt their party. Hyundai has not risen to the occasion.
Old 25th August 2007, 05:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Hyundai has been going through some bad times and lost their story on their way.

Overall hyudai is in deep **** and what should they do to revive their position? I remember Maruti was in a similar situation and the introduction of the Alto, Swift, SX4 has transformed their fate.. Wonder what hyundai has in store for us?
rangaraj, i definitely do not agree with this note of yours . I do not think the company is facing any problems. They seem to have their strategies well in place, and the Santro and Accent/Verna models are doing well. They have a good reputation for trouble free cars and good service set-ups (at least in the main cities). I do not know on what basis you have made such statements. I think we should refrain from making such sweeping statements, unless it is backed by atleast some verifiable facts. If you would like to speculate on what new products Hyundai may bring in , please do so, but without bad-mouthing the organisation as a whole . Thanks.
Old 25th August 2007, 14:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

@ rangaraj - I personally think you are bad mouthing Hyundai too much than you should really do - This is a open Forum and all your views are respected BUT at the same time stating things without a reason or rhyme is not proffessional and may offend people here.

@ BLUE THUNDER - I agree completely !!!!

Many of our friends here have replied to Hyundai's strategies over the last few years and all of them are right when they say that Diesels should be brought in across all categories. Getz Pricing is wrong.
Many other top automobile companies in India have completely messed up pricing ( Honda City for Instance or Skoda - they charge sooo much ) BUT it does not mean Honda 7 Skoda make bad cars. They are top notch cars.

Similarly Hyundai may have a few bad strategies right now BUT their cars are top notch, Infact better quality than many other expensive options.

Have you tried racing with an Elantra or a Sonata. It can beat the **** out of any other car in its class.

Try matching the Verna / Accent - it has serious power below the hood. Competitors shudder at these cars. For Mods accent is one of the best cars out there. Accent is one of the safest cars in its class till date ( I can say that because of an accident )

Getz is one of the best looking cars in India right now. ( Of course Swift IMHO is better )

Santro - No need for me to say how good a car it is, Its sales speak for itself.

As far as exports go - do you know how many cars does Hyundai India export ??

Now tell me is Hyundai still in Deep **** ???

Cheers !!!
Old 25th August 2007, 17:58   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
@ rangaraj - I personally think you are bad mouthing Hyundai too much than you should really do - This is a open Forum and all your views are respected BUT at the same time stating things without a reason or rhyme is not proffessional and may offend people here.

Now tell me is Hyundai still in Deep **** ???

Cheers !!!
They are, none of their cars are leaders, Santro excepted

Santro - aging but able
Getz - beaten hollow by Swift - looks ain't everything matey
Verna - only diesel is leading but only just, City still beats it in its segment
Elantra - forgot - it still exists
Sonata - ditto - ...and discounted

If they have no segment leadership and dependent on price discounting to sustain sales growth, things point to poor sales strategy and poor product placement.

This a is an open forum and views are respected, I would caution you not to fly off the handle
Old 25th August 2007, 18:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
This a is an open forum and views are respected, I would caution you not to fly off the handle
Hi Ajmat !!

Yes, I know that it is an open forum and all views are respected, and that is why I have not said anything to anyone in Particular.

I only disagree with Rangaraj on his views about Hyundai. I am a Hyundai loyal and just felt his remarks were harsh. In some of the other threads I have seen quite a few people getting really sentimental and taking it hard if anyone comments on their beloved cars / companies ( Fiat Palio / HC for Instance - great car's BTW !!! ).

I respect everyone and their comments, But at the same time I can also give my views and ideas or debate someone else's. At least I hope till now I can !!

I am sorry if I offended someone, but I am sure there will be plenty on the forum who will think like me and agree with me.

NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE - Cheers !!!

Last edited by vkochar : 25th August 2007 at 18:09.
Old 25th August 2007, 20:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post

In the 10L+ they lost their act - the secret of their success in the US is that they are the best fitted interiors and specs AND priced lower than their competitors - typically the top of the line Hyundai (matches the top of the line competitor) is priced as at the entry level of the competitor.

Out here the Tuscon and the Sonata have poor quality interiors. The Sonata especially compared to its competitors.
Sonata and Tucson are pretty much identical for US and India. The problem is that in the US, Sonata is a basic family car (like our Santro) whereas the D-seg in India is a status concious luxury sector where snob value matters. Hyundai simply dosent have the pedigree that Honda, Toyota and Skoda do.

Quote:

Have you tried racing with an Elantra or a Sonata. It can beat the **** out of any other car in its class.

Try matching the Verna / Accent - it has serious power below the hood. Competitors shudder at these cars. For Mods accent is one of the best cars out there.
You gotto be kidding me. Accent is probably the least favourite for mods, esp the performance kind.

Last edited by Mpower : 25th August 2007 at 20:48.
Old 26th August 2007, 01:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

@mpower - I was told by a top modifier / car aftermarket expert ( I would not name him ) - that Lancer & Accent & Swft - were the three cars he thought had the maximum potential for getting after marker modificaions done - maybe he was wrong !! I have not done any on mine - BUT I thought if he said so maybe it is !!! I may be wrong on this point !!! Sorry !! Cheers !!!
Old 26th August 2007, 01:43   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@mpower - I was told by a top modifier / car aftermarket expert ( I would not name him ) - that Lancer & Accent & Swft - were the three cars he thought had the maximum potential for getting after marker modificaions done - maybe he was wrong !! I have not done any on mine - BUT I thought if he said so maybe it is !!! I may be wrong on this point !!! Sorry !! Cheers !!!
IMO the modifier had told you this because he felt all these cars (Lancer & Accent & Swift) were underpowered and should need mods
Old 26th August 2007, 03:03   #45
Team-BHP Support

Aren't we talking about sales? What good for Hyundai if Getz is a looker, Verna/Elantra can race, and accent has mod-potential IF they are NOT selling.
Quote:
Many other top automobile companies in India have completely messed up pricing ( Honda City for Instance or Skoda - they charge sooo much ) BUT it does not mean Honda 7 Skoda make bad cars. They are top notch cars.
With the wrong pricing, they are able to sell cars. Which is not the case with Hyundai. I don't really understand whats the comparison!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks