Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2007, 18:24   #106
BHPian

EU is contemplating Banning Diesel ULSD..!

Somethings really amuse me here...Diesel remains Diesel and always will pollute more than petrol...! However the point here is to Develop sense of awarness in maintaining vehicles in good shape and ensure that Pollution levels are kept down.

As of Now CSE submitted the report to SC with findings that Diesels are polluting 30 % more particulate matter than Petrol engines- Diesel engines are not limited to Cars but to Power Gensets running for Cellcom companies, Commercial aread, Institutions etc.

Indica or Skoda- If not maintained and serviced will Pollute....Irrespective !

As of now, The Goverment intends to Propose Pricing Diesels at par with Petrol- This with aim to reduce the Cost Benefit promoting Diesels in the NCR region.
Old 14th December 2007, 18:58   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Has someone had their brains for dinner?
No, they got blown out while breaking wind! That's the vicinity they were sitting in!
Old 14th December 2007, 19:09   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundai.Lover View Post
What about Cabbies Diesel cars?
Indica, innova, qualis... Sumo... All Yuck. the way they maintain them. Sometimes i feel like doing this to them.
I agree on the Cabbies.. I was talking about Private cars
Old 25th December 2007, 16:57   #109
Team-BHP Support

Environment Cess of 25p on diesel

In the wake of a public hue and cry in recent weeks over polluting effects of diesel-run vehicles in the Capital, the Delhi Cabinet has decided to levy an environment cess of 25 paise per litre on diesel.

Read more here
Old 25th December 2007, 17:10   #110
BHPian

[quote=wolfinstein;657978]EU is contemplating Banning Diesel ULSD..!

Somethings really amuse me here...Diesel remains Diesel and always will pollute more than petrol...! However the point here is to Develop sense of awarness in maintaining vehicles in good shape and ensure that Pollution levels are kept down.

As of Now CSE submitted the report to SC with findings that Diesels are polluting 30 % more particulate matter than Petrol engines- Diesel engines are not limited to Cars but to Power Gensets running for Cellcom companies, Commercial aread, Institutions etc.
/quote]

Yes you are right, however the harmful gas like CO2 are more in petrol, In UK car taxes are based on the CO2 emission, and diesels are haveing lesser tax compared to petrol ones.

Europe is moving towards diesel (CRDI), which reduces the emission and gives better milage.
Old 25th December 2007, 17:16   #111
Senior - BHPian

I think there should be a limit laid in the consitution to putting cess and tax.

All the hue and cry is/was created by the cabinet itself.

Last edited by BUSA : 25th December 2007 at 17:17.
Old 25th December 2007, 19:31   #112
Senior - BHPian

The last time something happened in Delhi (CNG on buses and autos) was not because of the Delhi Govt. but because of the Courts. Instead of banning diesel and diesel cars, it would be a much better idea to raise emission standards and perhaps go to the latest European and US standards for diesel emissions. Will 25 paise per litre make a difference and what will it achieve. Imagine a person driving 2000 km per month at 15 kmpl. That person uses 130 litres of diesel per month and 25 paise/litre more will not hurt him much.
Old 25th December 2007, 19:45   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
The last time something happened in Delhi (CNG on buses and autos) was not because of the Delhi Govt. but because of the Courts. Instead of banning diesel and diesel cars, it would be a much better idea to raise emission standards and perhaps go to the latest European and US standards for diesel emissions. Will 25 paise per litre make a difference and what will it achieve. Imagine a person driving 2000 km per month at 15 kmpl. That person uses 130 litres of diesel per month and 25 paise/litre more will not hurt him much.
Same ques. What about the cabbies? yesterday itself i had seen a Sumo, giving a black smoke like anything, it was that much one can feel a foggy environment infront of windshield in a sunny day.
What will happen? these people will bribe Pollution check up guys and they will get cleared once again.
how govt. will tackle this? Fine? lol you know what they will do... again bribe.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 25th December 2007, 19:46   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
25 paise is not a deterrent to people using diesel cars. The logic being given is that the money collected through this (approx 48 cr) will be used to give tax sops to CNG vehicles, especially the diesel ones converting to cng.
Old 25th December 2007, 19:49   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
25 paise is not a deterrent to people using diesel cars. The logic being given is that the money collected through this (approx 48 cr) will be used to give tax sops to CNG vehicles, especially the diesel ones converting to cng.
I read somewhere that CNG is not good for diesel cars. Buses are ok with it. but it will harm diesel cars like anything.
Old 25th December 2007, 20:30   #116
BHPian

Don't know how good or bad it is to convert a Diesel engine into CNG, But the conversion is expensive and laborious- Close to likes of 75 to 80,000.

With more XETA's I see running as Taxi's, I'm happy that the Operators are also now becoming Cost concious.

More or Less, Have come across an Innova Taxi recently with a CNG Fitted system- I wish that more companies offer multi varients in CNG and LPG.

About negating the usage of Diesel, I feel it will not be easy to stop Diesel vehicles, but promotion of CNG and LPG will def help a lot to ease Pollution levels along with reduced emmissions.
Old 25th December 2007, 20:39   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Don't know how good or bad it is to convert a Diesel engine into CNG, But the conversion is expensive and laborious- Close to likes of 75 to 80,000.

With more XETA's I see running as Taxi's, I'm happy that the Operators are also now becoming Cost concious.

More or Less, Have come across an Innova Taxi recently with a CNG Fitted system- I wish that more companies offer multi varients in CNG and LPG.

About negating the usage of Diesel, I feel it will not be easy to stop Diesel vehicles, but promotion of CNG and LPG will def help a lot to ease Pollution levels along with reduced emmissions.
Correct. But it will be helpful for the family cars not for the cabbies. they will still look to save even a single penny.
Old 26th December 2007, 08:51   #118
BHPian

Metro Now newspaper which is a supplement with Times of India said that the decision to phase out diesel cars has beens stopped.

Right now a cess of 25p/Litre has been levied which will be used to phase out old diesel vehicles.. So nothing to worry about..

A media hype and nothing else ....of phasing out diesel cars and blah blah things.
Imagine would TATA let this happen (back bone of transport in India especially diesel) All foreign brands launching diesel cars would they stop the FDI and forex coming in?
Old 26th December 2007, 11:32   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Metro Now newspaper which is a supplement with Times of India said that the decision to phase out diesel cars has beens stopped.

Right now a cess of 25p/Litre has been levied which will be used to phase out old diesel vehicles.. So nothing to worry about..

A media hype and nothing else ....of phasing out diesel cars and blah blah things.
Imagine would TATA let this happen (back bone of transport in India especially diesel) All foreign brands launching diesel cars would they stop the FDI and forex coming in?
Now what about Global Warming? Remember after 5 years what will happen to glaciers? India is on the 4th place in terms of pollution i think. Correct me if i'm wrong. China is doing a great job in controlling the pollution. All street hawkers gone, control on population cool one and a perfect way to control population.

Trucks, Roadways and pvt. buses, cabbies Pollution Pollution Pollution. Govt. #%#%SD will not do anything on this and manmohan singh told in a press conference that we will not stop our growth because of pollution factor. $%^6 #$%#$% Sonia Gandhi.

Last edited by Hyundai.Lover : 26th December 2007 at 11:34.
Old 3rd February 2008, 09:46   #120
BHPian

Guys is there any further info on the diesel car ban in Delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks