Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2007, 18:58   #46

This is sad! I was planning to purchase a Skoda Laura but after when i read about this in a newspaper i just coudnt believe it .... I had a word with my lawyer regarding this and he told me that there is a strong possibility, the High court may pass such orders ...

p.s. I strongly feel that the High court will do this sooner than later because of the reasons mentioned below ...

[quote/]A Division Bench comprising of Justices Mukul Mudgal and Rewa Khetrapal observed that allowing diesel cars to ply on the Capital's roads negated the very purpose of the 1998 Supreme Court order, directing conversion of all diesel buses to CNG.

"When the apex court ordered the phase out of diesel buses to replace them with CNG-filled ones, the intention was to provide clean air to Delhites. What is the point if the diesel cars are continuing to pollute the city's air?" the Bench asked the Delhi Government counsel Mukta Gupta.

The court made the observations when the Bench was informed by the amicus curiea in the case that as per a study, emission from three diesel cars were causing pollution equivalent to one diesel bus.[/quote]

what do you guys feel ?
Old 28th August 2007, 20:32   #47
BHPian

i very disapponited by the way the Judiciary system acts without any knowledge on the subject. Don't they learn something before they go out to give a verdict.
Hope its the responsibility of the automobile companies to educate them regarding this matter.
Old 28th August 2007, 22:16   #48
BHPian

Came back home from work today and was surprised to see the news on television, I mean the media is now coverning this issue. However, I personally don't think the government will stop Diesel from running in Delhi, what will all the people owning the diesel's do and the diesel car market will crash over night, so according to me it's not likely to happen.
Old 29th August 2007, 01:23   #49
BHPian

Wishful Thinking! Well I do think that it happens because in other countries especially Europe Diesels are more in number than Petrols. However you never know. The judiciary bench can take any decision. Crdis may however most likely skip this ruling should it happen due to their strict adherance to the emission standards.
Old 29th August 2007, 02:05   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
By 2010 it will be EuroIV, so that is what matters, Emmission Norms and not 3 diesel cars = 1 diesel bus or 6 petrol cars = 1 diesel bus, this way time will come wherein no private vehicles will be allowed to run in delhi.
Which may not be a bad way to go as long as it is complimented with a kick-*** public transportation system. This year has seen some ridiculous climatic changes and we just might need something like this globally to counter global warming etc. Hell, I remember when air conditioners were only a luxury item in the Delhi summer, and not a complete necessity. I also remember when we actually had a monsoon where it would rain for a week straight and not in scattered patches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Take all this with a bucket load of salt, Delhi HC Motor dept have no work so came up with this, i am sure the judge must be himself coming to the court in a Indica 1.4 NA Diesel
If you think that HC judges come to court in Indicas you've been sniffing too much diesel!!!
Old 29th August 2007, 13:47   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
However, I personally don't think the government will stop Diesel from running in Delhi, what will all the people owning the diesel's do and the diesel car market will crash over night, so according to me it's not likely to happen.
The High court has nothing to do with this and once they pass the orders(based on the feasibility report) the govt. can do nothing but imply those orders ...

Lets refresh our memory and see the actions taken by the delhi govt.(after the supreme/high court orders) in the recent years ...

1) Late 90s: Industries(big and small) were shut down - There was lots of protest but finally the govt. did impliment the courts order .

2) 2000-01: Diesel buses converted to CNG - Again there was lots of protest, bandhs and what not but finally it happened and now everybody thanks the govt.

I hate to say this but to me it seems, the day aint far off when the diesel cars are going to be banned in New delhi .
Old 29th August 2007, 22:36   #52
Team-BHP Support

Actually this is again a classic case of shirking responsibility.
The problem with Delhi are thousands of smoke belching trucks which will not pass an emissions test anywhere in the world.
These pass through the capital every night.
But booking them and catching them would mean that a source of illegal bribes would vanish. So what next.
Tax the ordinary citizen
Old 29th August 2007, 22:53   #53
BHPian

I think the judge meant abut old disel cars. The new Diesels (CRDi, CRDe, DICOR etc.) are much less polluting than petrol cars.
Old 29th August 2007, 23:07   #54
Team-BHP Support

Law makers first should be "educated", then they can do some good to the world.

I have a feeling that Law makers along with the Media, if given a chance will make this the best fiasco, of the new millennium.

When will we get our facts correct?
Old 31st August 2007, 22:52   #55
Team-BHP Support

The CSE is trying to portray Diesel as a pollutant and a threat to the environment

CSE: Down to Earth Supplement on Dieselisation

Apparently, the move to ban diesel cars had happened earlier also

Auto cos against diesel car ban

Last edited by Eddy : 31st August 2007 at 22:53.
Old 1st September 2007, 00:53   #56
BHPian

Gift them with indica (NA) and they will re-think.
Old 1st September 2007, 02:21   #57
Senior - BHPian

This is going to be one of these things which will die down even before it gets implemented.

The Govt will not want to deal with all the inflation once the transportation costs increase.
Old 1st September 2007, 12:14   #58
BHPian

IMO this should have been done a long time ago, The Qualis, Sumo and Tavera are the most polluting cars and there are thousands of them running, I literaly have to close my window because of thier pollution. The smoke from them is thick black
Old 1st September 2007, 12:45   #59
Senior - BHPian

The vehicles on which you have commented upon are normally, mostly and generally call centre vehicles that are pathetically maintained and very badly driven. These vehicles and so are the others equipped with new generation diesel powerplants that conform to either Bharat stage II or III emission norms.

The blanket ban that HC is proposing and you are supporting is as Tanveer a.k.a tsk1979 rightly said is shirking of responsibility by the enforcement agencies. Let them impound these vehicles and impose a stiff fine on the owners and not drivers (poor guys) and then you see the improvement in the air quality around you.

Just a point to ponder kjdesigns - why is it that similar vehicles of comparable years privately owned don't belch smoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdesigns_2000 View Post
IMO this should have been done a long time ago, The Qualis, Sumo and Tavera are the most polluting cars and there are thousands of them running, I literaly have to close my window because of thier pollution. The smoke from them is thick black
Old 1st September 2007, 20:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

The main reason for more pollution by Diesel cars (including CRD or any latest engines) in India is Diesel quality is pathetic in India it has more sulphur etc. which makes cars smoke too much resulting heavy pollution.

I know members in TBHP talk technically but in reality Diesel cars pollute too much in India. This is main reason to phase out Diesel cars.

This is indirectly notice to Fuel refinaries as well, If they prepare better quality Diesel with no or very less adultration then Judge will rethink to pass the order! Thats it.

When some one makes comment here I feel we should consider balance between technical and reality in India.

In India Diesel cars are suitable only for very high users like clocking more than 2000km per month at least, the reason any good Diesel Engine die much faster than Petrol engine in India or at least Diesel engines need lot of maintanance. Car manufacturers/executives are brain washing innocent Indian public and they buy Diesel cars thinking thinking they save money but they will loose money in long run. Hard earned money goes in vain. This is whats happening for many car owners by choosing wrong product. So this might have made law In India/Media make news saying Diesel cars will phased out. This news will result in awareness bell for many people.

I am nothing against Diesel vehicle but according to me in Indian condition its long way to go for Diesel vehicles to see good reliable product. Present Diesel offerrings suit high users.

Regards,

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks