Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2024, 19:07   #1
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

Names starting with "C" and "S" are the most popular for Indian cars

2024: First letter of the car nameplate

Names starting with "C" and "S" are the most popular for Indian cars-1.png
  • In 2024, 11-car nameplates begin with the letter 'C'.
  • The letter 'S' comes next, with eight nameplates and a total market share of 14%.
What’s in the name?
  • Renault named its crossover ‘Duster’ (dictionary meaning: a soft dry cloth that you use for cleaning furniture, etc.) in 2012, and it was still successful.
  • Back in 2015 (Team-BHP Scoop Pics! Maruti YRA / Fronx Hatchback, uncamouflaged!), there was a rumour that Maruti’s upcoming hatchback product with the internal code name YRA was going to be named ‘Fronx’. But in a later stage, Maruti decided to use the old nameplate ‘Baleno’ associated with a not-so-successful discontinued executive sedan (1999-2006). There was scepticism that the name wouldn’t work for the new product because of its early association. But then, the Baleno hatchback has been super successful all the way. And now the crossover version of Baleno has brought the name ‘Fronx’ back into real existence.
  • Mahindra has been using the letter ‘O’ in the end as naming convention, superstition, or otherwise. Still, QuantO, MarazzO, TUV 3OO, KUV 1OO, XylO, XUV 3OO, and XUV 4OO weren’t successful. And Thar 2nd generation, without an ending with ‘O’, is super successful.
The point is, “What’s in the name?” It’s the product (attributes) and price that make the brand in India, and everything else takes a back seat. Skoda’s K_ _ _ _ _Q pre-engagement stunt before sub-4m product launch will prove to be ridiculous if they fail to get product or pricing right again.

On a side note, since we are on the topic of names, the handle ‘pqr’ is just randomly chosen three consecutive letters of the English alphabet and has no backstory behind it.

Last edited by pqr : 27th April 2024 at 19:23.
pqr is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 13:38   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Names starting with "C" and "S" are the most popular for Indian cars

Thanks for sharing, pqr! Moving your post out to a new thread. A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google. Will add to homepage in the coming week .

@ BHPians, if you should spot any good post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 13:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

Data nerds can probably find some correlation between this and number of words for each letter:

Name:  Screenshot_3.png
Views: 190
Size:  28.8 KB

https://funbutlearn.com/2012/06/whic...mum-words.html
SmartCat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 00:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqr View Post
[b] the handle ‘pqr’ is just randomly chosen three consecutive letters of the English alphabet and has no backstory behind it.
I feel the same about so many car names too, especially the alphabet-soup names but also some strange names that you can pronounce e.g. Fronx :S car makers are running out of good names I feel.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 03:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Data nerds can probably find some correlation between this and number of words for each letter:
How many car names are proper English words? That could be another analysis
AVIS is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 17:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
...car makers are running out of good names I feel.

So glad and relieved to learn that I'm not the only one who feels utterly bewildered by the model names our manufacturers conjure up. Several times and more I've considered starting a discussion around this theme, only to give up, lest I offend someone. And, also because I'm lazy. The pedant in me struggles with accepting how we got from 'Ambassador', 'Matador', 'Indica', 'Zen' that implied something, to the likes of 'Creta', 'Glanza' and 'Gloster'. Sure, its all subjective, and probably those words mean (or, are forcible derived from) something in some language that has little or nothing to relate to their personality (if those can be said to have any). But then nothing makes sense anymore, not even the lyrics of most popular music nowadays. Strange times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks