Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2024, 22:09   #1
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

2024 Hyundai Creta Facelift strengthens its position in ~4.3m crossover segment | 15,000+ sales

2024 : Hyundai Creta facelift strengthens its position in ~4.3m crossover segment

2024 Hyundai Creta Facelift strengthens its position in ~4.3m crossover segment | 15,000+ sales-2.png

The Hyundai Creta facelift is wreaking havoc in ~4.3 m crossover segment. Clean design language, feature updates, multiple drivetrain options, accessible variants spread, and the N Line additional variant of Creta facelift make it a compelling all-rounder and undisputed leader in the segment.
  • Hyundai-Kia and Maruti-Toyota commands 84% of the segment.
  • Maruti has to offer a discount on the Grand Vitara to convert high wholesale into retail.
  • Kia is avoiding discount on Seltos facelift by reducing production.
  • After initial purchases by Honda loyalists, Elevate sales are going down, followed by more discounts.
  • Toyota is unfazed as they are interested in selling strong-hybrid version, which has its own niche.
  • VW’s sticker job and some price corrections in recent months have arrested steep downfall.
  • The new ad campaign and price correction brought some growth to otherwise languishing MG Astor.
  • Skoda Kushaq took a sales nosedive after a change in the expat sales and marketing head.
  • The Citroen C3 Aircross remains - dead on arrival.
pqr is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 22:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2024 : Hyundai Creta facelift strengthens its position in ~4.3m crossover segment | 15,000+ aver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqr View Post
[*]After initial purchases by Honda loyalists, Elevate sales are going down, followed by more discounts.
Solely attributed to that nonsensical 1 lakh rupees price hike in 2 slabs between January and April this year.

I was very close in trading up my Creta for the Elevate but that 2nd price hike makes my Creta look more value for money now. Its unreal that an Elevate base model costs 15lakhs+ in Karnataka.

All thanks to HCIL management who are repeatedly showing they're absolutely clueless about the Indian market and would rather stick to being a one trick pony.

These stupid annual price hikes in the first 2 quarters and then subsequent discounts in the next quarters is exactly why they are unable to climb the sales charts. Infact this is what killed the new City.
Nithesh_M is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 22:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2024 : Hyundai Creta facelift strengthens its position in ~4.3m crossover segment | 15,000+ aver

The Creta for Hyundai India is what the City was at one point of time for Honda India.

Decently smart looking (looks are subjective I am still digesting the looks of the facelifted 2nd gen Creta), sophisticated interiors, technologically advanced, is an aspirational product for many, and at the same time being reliable and easy on the pocket both at the fuel station & service station.

The real clincher for Hyundai India was the 1st gen pre-facelift and post-facelift Creta (with its no-nonsense and neutral design) that had every possible gearbox and trim combination for everyone out there (Petrol AT, Petrol MT, 2 Diesels: 1.4L Diesel MT, 1.6L Diesel MT and 1.6L Diesel AT) which was unheard of by any car in 2015, which actually gave them the stronghold in the 4m+ pseudo-SUV segment. The later models (2nd gen model) sell on the basis of its brand name ‘Creta’ , which just like the City or Innova has been established as a household brand.

Still can’t believe Honda didn’t launch the Elevate a few years earlier, when they had everything available on their platter!

I have the 1st gen pre-facelifted Creta Petrol AT, it may be boring to drive and sips fuels at a pretty fast rate but the ergonomics are perfect, features that don’t feel outdated even today and the design looks fresh even 7 years later (the same can’t be said for the 2nd gen Creta unfortunately). Now coming to blowing the horn continuously and flashing the high beams wherever possible, I’m not a part of that clan .

The 2nd gen Creta carries forward the same qualities of the 1st gen Creta minus the exterior design (which is subjective) and is a runaway success, no two ways about it !
CEF_Beasts is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 23:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Honda should stop half assing their cars. Why is there just a single side camera instead of 360 degree camera? Why was the civic brought in as a halo product and then given a puny engine that was already available in the city? Their once aspirational models are now seen as old people cars, for people who aren’t aware that the market has moved on.

They are neither here nor there. Put an RS body kit on the current city, give it a higher tune and sell it as a limited edition model. Sell some 500 units of it at a loss and then claim a 2 year waiting list. Consider it the cost of advertisement.At least it will get people talking about the brand again.

Last edited by Cresterk : 4th May 2024 at 23:25.
Cresterk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 11:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqr View Post
[b]
Attachment 2602678

The Hyundai Creta facelift is wreaking havoc in ~4.3 m crossover segment.
The Creta brand popularity is very evident when previous gen selling in record numbers despite being one of the ugliest cars. The new facelift is definitely a better looking car than the previous gen and with market expansion for 4.3m segments and SUVs expanding a lot, these higher numbers are along the expected lines. More than Creta, sales of Grand Vitara and Hyryder sales are more impressive. They are finally able to crack the popular SUV segment and based on these numbers they are growing faster than the market leader despite having relatively older model.
sri_tesla is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 11:55   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2024 Hyundai Creta Facelift strengthens its position in ~4.3m crossover segment | 15,000+ sales

This was a much-much needed facelift. The earlier version was downright ugly. Am sure 50% of the market loved it, but 50% of the market hated it. Those who would have earlier never bought a Creta because of its controversial styling now have no reason to complain.

It's the ultimate "can't go wrong" crossover in the segment and there is no customer in the 20-lakh category who wouldn't have at least considered the Creta (if not already test-driven it).
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 12:06   #7

Re: 2024 Hyundai Creta Facelift strengthens its position in ~4.3m crossover segment | 15,000+ sales

I may be wrong. But as someone who hails from a 3rd/4th tier city (where value for money is the top priority), I can say that one of the biggest reasons for the Grand Vitara's 2nd place is 'safety.' Many may argue that the build quality of the Creta and GV is equivalent. However, the Creta offers six airbags as standard from its base variants, whereas Maruti offers the same only in the top variant. The sooner Maruti realises this, the sooner they will beat the Creta."
ShamratHz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 12:14   #8
BHPian

The thing about Creta is that it is the default option and there is nothing wrong with it, at least not in general public's eye. As much as I love the styling of our pre-facelift Creta, I admit it may not be to everyone's liking. The facelift certainly appeals to to a wider audience. Hyundai has focused on not cutting corners where people can notice and their strategy is paying off.

Also, availability of diesel MT and AT is another big factor in Creta's success. Of all the major competitors, only Korean siblings offer a diesel and Seltos did not have a proper diesel MT right away at the launch.
Old 5th May 2024, 12:18   #9
BHPian

The FL Creta disrupting the competition was inevitable, but I’m particularly disappointed with Kia. God knows what’s stopping them to offer more exterior colour options in the X line or lighter interior theme in the GT line alongside the regular all black one. They are being stubborn with really poor business acumen. The Seltos has almost everything to take on the Creta given that Kia wakes up to take inspirations from Hyundai and give a much needed mild refresh to the Seltos.
Col Mehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 12:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This was a much-much needed facelift. The earlier version was downright ugly. Am sure 50% of the market loved it, but 50% of the market hated it. Those who would have earlier never bought a Creta because of its controversial styling now have no reason to complain.

It's the ultimate "can't go wrong" crossover in the segment and there is no customer in the 20-lakh category who wouldn't have at least considered the Creta (if not already test-driven it).
In the T-BHP forum, hardly anyone called out the downright ugly styling of the original Gen-2 Creta (Ver 1.0), especially looking at the Gen-1 Creta. Finally, I have someone who did not mince their words.

The Gen-2 Creta (Ver 2.0) is a much better looking albeit generic styled car. I still think that it's a supremely overpriced Car for what it offers, especially when it stands besides it's brother Seltos. But the Indian customer in this price range never cared for value, so I guess it's par for the course. I had seriously evaluated the Creta and Seltos before I opted for the later owing to its better value and due to paucity of options. I only wish TATA comes up with a better value 4.3m-ish Pseudo SUV (no coupe non sense please!!) to force other OEMs to actually start offering more value.
Carma2017 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 13:17   #11
BHPian

The Creta offers a range of options across price-points, a new design with more broad-based appeal.

With Hyundai’s network presence and service quality, not a surprise at all that the product’s doing as well as it is.
McLaren_P1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 14:15   #12
BHPian

I once did Bangalore to Goa and back in a friend’s 1st Gen Creta and the car was very refined. I looked for preowned Cretas and they were not cheap, meaning they held their resale value pretty well. I then evaluated the 2nd gen Creta as the only other viable choice before settling down on the 2023 Nexon EV Max.

Creta makes sense on many fronts:
1. Will age gracefully (subjective for 2nd gen). It is a soft roader city car. And unapologetic about it. It’s sibling Seltos while built on the same platform is positioned as badass or something.
2. Sells in decent numbers unlike a Kushaq or Taigun - spares and aftermarket ecosystem is thriving.
3. Ticks most boxes on features and driveability
4. Hyundai quality and service doesn’t usually disappoint
5. Good resale value (1st Gen Creta as eg.)

I simply ditched the idea only because I was going the EV way.
navinmra is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 15:13   #13
BHPian

The Creta has performed a miracle in the Indian auto scene. A 4m+ SUV, duking it out with smaller Maruti hatchbacks at the top of national sales charts is crazy to say the least! Even with the questionable 2nd gen looks, it pulled off the sales heist of the century perhaps. So, it comes as no surprise that Hyundai continues to push more of these bigs out to the public in its current form. The Creta design has perhaps finally come full circle, balancing the maturity of the 1st gen, with the polarising looks of the 2nd gen. Add to that, the irreplicable feature list and easy drivability, you have a winner for the year(s) to come.

What killed competition is probably a question they must be asking themselves. VW and Skoda were too European to have mass appeal. Honda developed a solid product and then proceeded to rip their guts out with the high pricing. Maruti-Toyota combo have frankensteined the sales of their twins too, to keep the charts moving. Hyryder sells a lot more hybrid variants and GV handles the bulk of the bookings with the K15C mill. Kia, is an outlier in this competition, having the same product, but packing it differently to attract the more vain of us lot. The less said about Citroen, the better. MG who?

Personally, I feel Honda missed an opportunity by skipping the hybrid option in the Elevate. I feel the strong-hybrid powertrain would've have given it and Honda the mainstream appeal they so desperately need.
Sensible_Speed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 15:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
The FL Creta disrupting the competition was inevitable, but I’m particularly disappointed with Kia.They are being stubborn with really poor business acumen. The Seltos has almost everything to take on the Creta given that Kia wakes up to take inspirations from Hyundai and give a much needed mild refresh to the Seltos.
I think there is a perception issue about Kia Seltos- being more of the "sporty" individualistic" choice, whereas the Creta is the more "genial" family choice. The badass marketing line also accentuates that (with Bobby Deol as the mascot). That makes some difference to the tier-2/3 numbers I guess. Not to mention Hyundai's significantly larger service outreach in those places.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 15:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinmra View Post
I simply ditched the idea only because I was going the EV way.
Yep, I love the new Creta especially it's interiors. Turbo petrol has great performance as well.

If there was an EV variant of this car, I would've purchased it for sure.

Higher performance with much lower cost per KM is an unbeatable combination with EVs and hence had to pick the ZS EV.

The Kona sold abroad is also a great car. Wish Hyundai India updates the model sold here.
shyampsunder is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks