Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car manufacturers have strong product line-ups? (Multiple Choice)
Maruti 143 32.35%
Tata 237 53.62%
Hyundai 223 50.45%
Mahindra 137 31.00%
Toyota 49 11.09%
Kia 79 17.87%
Honda 10 2.26%
MG 4 0.90%
Volkswagen 19 4.30%
Skoda 21 4.75%
Renault 5 1.13%
Nissan 2 0.45%
Jeep 7 1.58%
Citroen 4 0.90%
Others (Please specify in your post) 2 0.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 442. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2024, 08:25   #31
BHPian

Re: Indian Car Manufacturers with the strongest & weakest line-ups

Tata and Hyundai seem to offer ever model with so many power train options, it just gets so confusing. But more choice to the consumers is good.

Even Maruti has a good lineup of vehicles. Kia takes whatever works for Hyundai and makes it a little bit different (also they don't offer a sedan)

Skoda and VW only have models above 12 lakhs (which makes sense for their 2.0 strategy)

Mahindra only sells SUVs

As for the rest of the brands (Honda, Citroen, Renault, Nissan), they're not serious about the Indian market. It doesn't take an expert to understand what Indian customer wants.

If anyone wants to do good in Indian market, take TVS as inspiration. They're apparently no2 in ever segment of the 2 wheeler market. And they're a really good no2. They apparently take on the best seller by offering better specs for the price and end up with a better offering a few iterations down the line. This approach can be adopted by car makers too.

I genuinely feel sorry about Honda and Nissan. They're giants in the US market and they're not even a shadow of that in Indian market. All because the product planning is horrid.

When Honda and Nissan entered our market, they had very decent line up. But slowly they kept killing their models by not offering regular updates. This is basically an attitude problem with these brands. They don't think it's necessary to update a vehicle in India every year. They however do it on USA.

I have a Nissan Magnite and I don't know if the brand will ever launch another product in our market. Magnite might end up being their swan song.
Old 10th May 2024, 09:36   #32
BHPian

I feel, Hyundai's car lineup is Complete and, all their cars ace their respective segments.

Small car: i10grand
Hatchback: i20
Sedan: Verna
Tall hatchback: Exeter
CSUV: Venue
SUV: Creta
7 seater: Alcazar
Premium SUV: Tucson

What Hyundai misses is a Premium Sedan, like their Elantra, and possibly a 4x4 SUV
Also, they have their lineup refreshed every few years, with huge improvements from their previous generation.

Tata:
Small Car: Tiago
Hatchback: Altroz
Sedan:
Tall hatchback: Punch
CSUV: Nexon
SUV: Harrier
7 seater: Safari

Tata also misses a Premium sedan, and a Premium SUV. Their lineup refresh also happens rarely, leaving their cars compete against more recent launches from competition.
What they ace is their Electric story, but that doesn't change what they offer. Nano Electric and entry into premium cars is something Tata can work on.

Maruti:
Small car: Alto, Celerio, Spresso
Hatchback: Ignis, Swift, Baleno
Sedan: Ciaz (Actually can leave this blank)
Tall hatchback: WagonR
CSUV: Brezza, Fronx
SUV: Grand Vitara
7 seater: Ertiga, XL6
Special mention: Jimny

What Maruti misses according to me is, nothing in the premium segment. Terrible Sedan linenup. A big reason India's Sedan market is down is that their top 3 manufacturers have almost zero investment in this space.
Also, a near zero Electric story
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 09:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Tata Hyundai Mahindra, in that order. Especially Tata and Hyundai with a car for almost 95% of buyers out there. With Curvv, Tata will enter another segment. I hope Hyundai does CKD of Tucson and get the Santa FE for an even better lineup.
Old 10th May 2024, 11:30   #34
BHPian

Voted for Mahindra

They might not have a diverse lineup like TaMo, but damn, do they have strong core range with extreme brand value :

Thar - great powertrains with different bodystyles, not to mention the street cred along with the off-road capabilities. 6k sales a month is a great number for something so niche.

ScorpioN
- Only ladder frame SUV with 4x4 under 40 lakhs I believe.

Scorpio Classic - A brand name with such recall value, that they're selling the old one These scorpios (scorpii ?) sell a cobined 10k units a month!

XUV700 - truly world class, feels like half a segment above the competition. Sells over 7k units a month , not bad for something that can cost 30L+ in some states.
Old 10th May 2024, 12:08   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Tata - Overall good lineup including EV's.

Hyundai - Good lineup with good variety and having premium offering as well.

Mahindra - Good lineup but lacks small car.

Maruti - Great lineup within 5-20 Lakhs price. Many models to choose from.

Nissan - Worst lineup.

Last edited by aniketi : 10th May 2024 at 12:10.
Old 10th May 2024, 12:29   #36

Chevrolet had a better lineup when they were operating in India, may be ~ 2010/2011.

Beat/Spark
Sail/Sail sedan
Cruze
Captiva
Tavera
Enjoy

I owned a Beat LS and enjoyed it. Had hoped to own a Cruze some time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks