Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2007, 19:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even Civic has 2 rails running the length of the body which protects the underbelly
This is what I was talking about... It is a 1/2 cm think rail of steel coated with some sort of rubber, which protects the body on even surfaces, like of speed breaker. (the additional projections shown above are to protect from uneven road surface which might escape these rails and touch the center).

Old 5th September 2007, 19:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are those scrapes cos of the body hitting the road?
Yes, it does hit the road once in a while, so there are scrapes, but they are not as bad as some people claim.

These are pics of a car after a year of road/off road usage.
Old 17th November 2007, 23:38   #33
BHPian

@zenopio :
i have not seen any civics with with the bent skirts.... and i cant imagine as much(as st says being blown out of proportion)... so if u can ... a pic would be nice...... thanks..
Old 18th November 2007, 22:48   #34
BANNED

guys, the civic GC issue has ben blown up, i have just bought a new civic v and i have been enjoying every bit of it. i haven't faced any bottoming out issue or the underbelly being scraped at speedbreakers under full load. i think we should stop criticising civic on GC issue. actually, theres no GC issue, atleast its not a issue for delhi roads. cant say much about other cities, don't know on what kind of roads you are driving on.
Old 19th November 2007, 11:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
guys, the civic GC issue has ben blown up, i have just bought a new civic v and i have been enjoying every bit of it. i haven't faced any bottoming out issue or the underbelly being scraped at speedbreakers under full load. i think we should stop criticising civic on GC issue. actually, theres no GC issue, atleast its not a issue for delhi roads. cant say much about other cities, don't know on what kind of roads you are driving on.
Maybe you've got good roads in Gurgaon.
I'm not sure how a Civic will behave on what we call "ROADS" here in Bangalore.

-- Torqy
Old 19th November 2007, 12:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post

-- Torqy
Roads have gone bad in Bangalore with lots of pot holes - but not large enough to scape Civic or any other car.
Old 19th November 2007, 12:31   #37
BHPian

There surely is some GC issue in Civic. I have seen at least 2/3 civics going very slow on a particular very broad and high speed breaker, just to ensure that even if it hits the top of speed breaker, the damage/sound is not much. On the same road every other car crosses it with ease and without reducing the speed upto Civic level.
Old 19th November 2007, 16:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
these days,i see a lot of civics with scraped and damaged/bent lower side panels,probably due to getting damaged by speedbreakers etc.
its surprising to see that honda hasnt found a solution or atleast tried rectifying it.
As long as people are buying these products, why should Honda mind about these problems? Honda City is still doing good even after stiff competition from SX4. So, ground clearance may be the last thing on agenda for Honda. If people are aware of the importance of good GC & stop buying these cars, then probably Honda will think about it. Untill then, happy scraping.
Old 19th November 2007, 18:28   #39
BHPian

My 2 cents on this topic:

Got delivery of my Civic just 4 days back. Have driven it for about 400 kms. Have also driven it on a couple of occassions with 5 adults + a kid in the car. I once missed a road hump and went straight over it with 3 adults in the car, but have never had the problem of the under belly scraping anywhere. So far, so good.
Guess it is early days. Will wait n watch.
Old 19th November 2007, 19:36   #40
BHPian

The plight of Civic owners has to be seen on some highways in Karnataka & Kerala, to be believed.They beat us on smooth tarmac & struggle on potholed roads.Good fun to beat them in small cars
Old 19th November 2007, 20:26   #41
BANNED

Beat Civic & do what? Do you get a medal if you beat Civic? Most likely your fellow passengers are cursing you for driving fast over a hump (in your zeal to beat Civic) and causing them discomfort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
The plight of Civic owners has to be seen on some highways in Karnataka & Kerala, to be believed.They beat us on smooth tarmac & struggle on potholed roads.Good fun to beat them in small cars
Old 19th November 2007, 22:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

If you want to scrape a Civic's bottom just try the JP Nagar Mysore Ring road in Bangalore. Its got some horrendous speed breakers. My friend's Verna also scraped one of the speed breakers. My Civic scraped 2.

Both of us were with the full complement of passengers.

I did a trip to Wayanad with 4 of us and luggage. No scraping anywhere.

Well in Bangalore traffic even a bicycle can beat a Porsche !!
Old 19th November 2007, 23:21   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
That means that Accord owners must be coming in 'last'(with a wheelbase 40mm larger and the GC 15mm lesser than the Civic). Have not heard any of them complaining.

Though I might agree that the civic might scrap more than the Corolla when driven on the same road but all that can be avoided by adopting a different driving style for the Civic( not necessarily a slow one)....
I am becoming more and more convinced that this is a non issue.
Old 20th November 2007, 14:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy
Torqy, I am in Bangalore and I do not face many scrapping issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csenthil
If you want to scrape a Civic's bottom just try the JP Nagar Mysore Ring road in Bangalore. Its got some horrendous speed breakers. My friend's Verna also scraped one of the speed breakers. My Civic scraped 2.
Those are not speed breakers but they are car breakers...
Recently couple of these newly laid Car breakers in J.P nagar, Jayanagar and BG Road have been shaved of (and have now become speed breakers) due to public protest...
Not sure how many Civic owners would have complianed, so I am sure there were other cars scrapping too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyfaction
There surely is some GC issue in Civic. I have seen at least 2/3 civics going very slow on a particular very broad and high speed breaker, just to ensure that even if it hits the top of speed breaker, the damage/sound is not much. On the same road every other car crosses it with ease and without reducing the speed upto Civic level.
I am surprised you only saw Civic slowing down. Nothing wrong with that, but then there are many other cars on Indian roads with worse GC problems - which include our popular Baleno, old Zen, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandan
A civic can glide over potholed road much more easily and safely than a small cars. Ask me, I own both a big and a small car.
But driving slow over potholes, isn;t that sensible???
Old 20th November 2007, 14:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyfaction View Post
Could be that the Civic owners have more car knowledge and know that one has to be dead slow at speed breakers, with the tyres slightly angled.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks