Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Did you extend your budget and go for a higher-priced car?
Yes 238 68.00%
No 112 32.00%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2024, 17:17   #1
Team-BHP Support

When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car

We recently had a discussion about when you had a bigger budget but settled for a lower-priced car and there were some very interesting answers. Let’s flip the script and look at it the other way around. There are many cases where someone has a set budget, but they tend to extend it and get a higher variant or even jump the segment and get a car from a higher segment. We have so many examples just on our forum –

BHPian androdev's Mercedes S-Class
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I set off with in intention to buy a 20L car and ended up buying an S350. It was a gradual and expensive progression to a decision that is borderline crazy but as I have read somewhere - love is like Pi: natural, irrational, and very important (or real?). Within a few seconds into the test drive of the S class, it was clear to me that I was liberated from the analysis-paralysis jinx. It was a tough decision to buy this car in India given its size, price and the burden of being seen in such a rich man's car. One can buy two E220 CDIs plus one Laura for this price. As I was buying from a discounted inventory and petrol at that, I was given a decent discount - so eased the budget a bit. This is just a brief review of the purchase experience and initial ownership so must be taken with a pinch of salt given the usual euphoria surrounding a new car purchase.
When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-04img_5867m.jpg

BHPian Dodge_Viper's Mahindra Scorpio-N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
I had my eyes fixed on the Bolero Neo as my upgrade. My requirement was very simple. A robust go-anywhere body on frame vehicle. Bolero Neo ticked almost all the boxes. A 4x4 was nice to have but given my initial budget of 15 lakhs, I didn't have any option available. Scorpio-N was launched way back in June 2022. It looked promising but I knew by the time I was in a position to buy there would be a couple of price hikes and it would not fit in my budget.

The Scorpio-N Z4 4x4 MT variant was something I could stretch a bit from 15 lakhs.
When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-20230924_08515601.jpeg

BHPian krishnadevjs' BMW M340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
All my choices and decision swings are chronicled here thread, but long story short the choice was between the 330i and the C300D. In 2021, when the M340i launched, I had longingly told my wife, “This is the car I wanna buy next. I don’t think I can afford it now, but this is what I want.”

This would probably be the car that saw me into the 40s and beyond. The age – responsibilities – and financials matrix were all aligned for the ultimate YOLO move – I could buy my dream car now or risk the possibility of never buying it.

And that, my friends, is the story of how I met my M340i.
When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-img_7740-conv.jpeg

Moderator Aditya's Toyota Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Two cars that were initially on my list were the Fiat Linea (T-Jet) and the (failed?) second-gen Ford Fiesta 1.6. No good example of either of these cars was available in my budget of Rs. 2.5 lakhs and neither was exactly spacious on the inside.

After a good five months of hunting, I came across a 2006 golden Corolla with 42,000 km on the odo at a dealer in Andheri. The asking price was Rs. 3 lakhs, which was well over my budget and I am not a fan of gold, but the car was in very good shape. There was no work needed on the body or the inside. The engine and other running gear were in tip-top condition. It was a 1.8E and had all the equipment that I wanted – alloy wheels, climate control, height-adjustable driver seat, ABS and airbags. Mix that with practicality and the longevity that Toyotas are famous for and you have a perfect family car. Just like the Lancer, I knew this was the car that I had to take home.
When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-1.jpg

These cases are perfect examples of how sometimes spending that extra amount makes a lot of sense. Just like how we spoke about the value-for-money factor in the previous thread, the same applies here. By paying a certain premium if you’re getting a bigger car, better engine/transmission and maybe even better features, it just seems like a no-brainer. Of course, as enthusiasts, if you're getting additional horsepower or a more engaging drive for some extra cash, you are definitely spending it. Life is too short to live with a boring car.

A common trend nowadays is buyers jumping from the hatchback segment to an entry-level sub-4m SUV by spending some more money. The best example of this upgrade is people choosing the Tata Punch or Fronx over hatchbacks like the Maruti Swift, Hyundai Grand i10 or Tata Tiago. Another segment jump is from the top-end variant of cars like Tata Nexon, Hyundai Venue, Kia Sonet, etc. to mid variant of compact SUVs like the Tata Harrier, Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos, etc.
When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-upgrade.png

What are some of the reasons that you decided to extend your budget and get a higher-priced car?

Last edited by Omkar : 14th May 2024 at 17:25.
Omkar is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 17:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Old 14th May 2024, 18:02   #3
BHPian

For my recent purchase, I was looking at Sub-4m Compact SUVs like Nexon, Sonet, Venue N-line. My budget was around 17L on road. However, I ended up buying a Grand Vitara Zeta Plus Strong Hybrid.

Reasons for extending budget:
  • A good deal on an unsold Hybrid Variant for the price of Non-Hybrid Alpha AT
  • Addition of Panoramic sunroof instead of a smaller sunroof. (Wife's wish)
  • Bigger car which actually felt like an upgrade coming from Ecosport
  • Heart (Hybrid engine) from Toyota at a reasonable price. Wanted an EV but was discouraged due to range anxiety felt by family members.
Love4Cars is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 18:10   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Car buying is like deal making...sometimes you go over, sometimes you go under. With the Thar, I was very under budget. But two of my other cars, we did go overbudget.

With no regrets at all.

Superb: Plan was to get a Seltos for my kid brother. He was driving the Sunny everywhere, including highway runs to Pune & Nashik. Needed something better and we'd zeroed in on the Seltos. The crash test results came out and no one felt comfortable getting the Seltos for highway runs. Went 50% higher budget to the Superb.

530d: Had loved and almost finalised a 2010 white pre-facelift 530d. It was a beautiful car. Another option was the 2013 530d Facelift which I eventually brought home. Price difference between the two was 12.5 lakhs (30L versus 42.5). But for the additional money, I got an almost brand-new 15-month old car, the M-Sport bodykit that helps the 5 age better, nicer seats, superior equipment all-round, higher ground clearance and more. Akshay1234 really convinced me to go for the facelift as he knew I keep my cars long.

With used cars, one anyway saves a lot of money, so with time, I have realised that upfront premiums for great cars are well worth it. Even if an immaculate pre-worshipped car is priced 10-15% higher than the market price, I will get it as long as I love it.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 18:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

At our house, we had done a prime example of this.

We set out to buy a used Brezza Diesel or a Used Ertiga Diesel in 2022 as both had shut down in the new format

One Weekend in May 2022 we went to a showroom in Chembur to test drive the Crysta Diesel Automatic and Fortuner Diesel Automatic. It was just a normal time pass test drive as it was 3 x our budget for the Innova Diesel Auto and 5 X our budget for the Fortuner Diesel Auto.

First we test drove the Crysta Diesel Auto, What a Car, What Pickup, What Comfort, What handling, Mom, dad and me were floored. Test drove the Fortuner Diesel Auto right after that, none of us liked it, too much body roll, the middle and rear part kept moving up and down all the time when the car moved, it was not to out our taste.

Went home with a dream, one day we will buy the Crysta Diesel Auto, that dream just kept coming to all of us. A month later, we booked the car in silver color and then came the agonising waiting period until the news came that its going to be shut down. Pulled all strings from top to bottom and finally got our Crysta in 2022 October, some of the final pieces that were delivered by the showroom before it was shut down forever in the automatic form.

We still remember that day like it was yesterday, we can't believe it that from a Breza/Ertiga we managed to pull of a Crysta. Mom, dad and me are sometimes looking out of the window or when we go on a drive thinking, is this thing really ours?
humyum is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 18:23   #6
BHPian

Started looking for a fun 4*4 with the cheapest budget possible: 1-1.5L. Checked out a few MM540s and Marshalls, however nothing was materialising.

Then on casual OLX browsing, came across the Scorpio 4*4, 2005 vintage with 1.7L km on the odo. The owner was a genuinely nice guy. Test drove the Scorp and agreed on a deal then and there. Yes, I had to go above double my initial budget, but then it turned out to be a wonderful buy!

So now 2 years later - the Scorp has done 12k km with me, along with quite a lot of hardcore off-roading. Circumstances changed 6 months ago, and the Scorp turned into my primary ride - the role was taken up so well by him! Now looking back, extremely happy that I didn't go for a barebones 540 - the Scorp has turned out to be money extremely well spent!
Attached Thumbnails
When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-psx_20240128_181704.jpg  

Geo_Ipe is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 18:39   #7
BHPian

Initially booked Exter at 11L, but realized AMT might not be a good idea and ended up buying the Kia Sonet FL HTX DCT instead, and I am not regretting it.
On highways the car is excellent, great breaking as well, slightly stiff suspension but the car can take lots of luggage (with a kid you need a lot of space) and seat comforts are great, the ventilated seats were a boon during the summer.

When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-sonet1.jpg

Been 3 months and 2200 kms later, must say it is a really good car to have.
m2maddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 18:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Booked the S-Cross 1.3 Zeta variant but was always longing for the 1.6 variant. Due to a fire at one of Maruti's OEMs, I was made to wait for more than the usual time for the car. Finally did a test drive of the 1.6 one fine day and changed the booking to the 1.6 Alpha as that was the only variant that was available (A salary hike a the opportune moment also helped I guess!). Brought the car home in August 2016.

Almost 8 years and 1,43,000 kms later, the fun I have had with this car is immense. Not only me, my wife and daughter also love the car to bits. I am sure that if I had brought home the 1.3 variant, I would have sold it by now. I do not have a car upgrade itch yet and I look forward to more years with this one!
arvind71181 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 19:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Car buying is like deal making...sometimes you go over, sometimes you go under.

With used cars, one anyway saves a lot of money, so with time, I have realised that upfront premiums for great cars are well worth it. Even if an immaculate pre-worshipped car is priced 10-15% higher than the market price, I will get it as long as I love it.
Thank you for saying this, exactly my thinking and have done precisely that.

Last year I was on the lookout for a 2nd car to replace my Pajero and had shortlisted the VW virtus for it and was to book it.

Due to idle curiosity I started looking in OLX for 4x4 SUVs within 30L and came across a 2017 Fortuner 4x4 AT, only 27K on the odometer, single owner.

Went to check the vehicle out and take a test drive & was overwhelmed by it. Excellent condition, full service records, very sparingly used, interiors in pristine condition still smelling new, some parts were still covered with plastic .Booked it immediately. I asked the dealer as to why was the owner selling it, apparently he had upgraded to a LR Defender...I wonder if in a few years this owner will sell the defender for the price of the fortuner...

It cost me about 30% more than the OTR price of a new top end VW Virtus DSG but I think its worth it....My wife has stopped driving our other car because of this....
BlackBeard is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 19:14   #10
BHPian

In our case,

When we had sold off our 2011 Type 2 Innova in 2022, we had decided to get the Seltos D AT as it sufficed our usage. We, in fact, booked one and was about to take delivery but dropped due to some circumstances.

In the meanwhile, dad had heard that Toyota is launching Innova in Hybrid guise, which led us drop the idea of getting the Seltos D AT. Come early 2023, Toyota had launched the Innova Hycross with Hybrid Tech and dad was sold with the car and in the end of March 2023, we had booked one and got the car delivered in the end of July 2023. Till date, the car has run 28k Kms and we couldn't be happier with it.

This is how our car purchase journey went. We started with the budget of 22L and ended up increasing our budget by 10L just for the brand Innova and Hybrid tech.
car_guy1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 09:45   #11

We had set out with a budget of 20-25 lakh and were about to finalise Virtus GT as our daily driver. As our running had to be quite limited, we did not want to spend a lot. We even discussed if i20 NLine will be better.

But sometimes we discount the love for a great car and that the machine has to evolve with us over next 7-8 years.

We stretched and settled for a Tiguan, extending our budget quite sharply. In the end, we feel quite safe and also there is a sense of moving up in life.
Loco-moto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 10:00   #12
BHPian

In my case, went a little above the intended budget to get a more spacious and powerful car. Features are a subjective choice. You win some and you lose some when you shift segments.

With a budget of around INR15-16L, we were looking to upgrade from Dzire to either of Seltos or XL6. XL6 was rejected for its all black interior themes and had almost finalized the Seltos when parents sat in the Carens. They found Carens to be more spacious and comfortable than Seltos. Funnily enough, spot booked the only available variant of Carens with a price differential of INR 5L
R4m4kr15hn4n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 10:18   #13

Last year, I was looking to upgrade from my 2013 Swift to something bigger. I had a budget of 18L and wanted top-end variants only. Finally settled on Grand Vitara Alpha Strong Hybrid.

Why I extended my budget:
  • Liked the ride quality and comfort on the Vitara.
  • I absolutely loved my old Swift and a lot of the interior and button placement has been carried over, it seemed too 'friendly' and 'familiar'.
  • I keep cars for long, so I thought going a little more above budget is fine as long as I love the car.
  • The experience that I have had over the years with Arena was replicated across Nexa. I must have taken some 6 test drives on different variants (MT, Mild Hybrid AT, AWD, Strong Hybrid) - the technical knowledge of the sales person was amazing and they even allowed me to visit the stockyard multiple times to observe how the colours looked at different times of the day.
  • Spoke to other owners about the service experience on high priced cars by MS (I knew they are good with budget cars) and was finally convinced.
rahulpandita is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 10:30   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Went the other way around.

We had booked the Innova HyCross, but couldn’t get the car even after a year of waiting. With the 10 year end of life deadline for our old diesel City looming, the need for a new and efficient car became pressing. We ditched Toyota and went for the newly launched Nexon EV LR instead. I know, the cars are chalk and cheese different, but are low running cost mobility solutions at the end of the day. HyCross would have cost us a good 60% more than what we paid for Nexon.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 10:39   #15
BHPian

Before I start our family's story of stretching our budget to get our new car, here is a brief background to how it all started.

Background-
While my Dad was in service, he hardly needed a car. Thanks to his office car, our humble 2011 Hyundai i10 has clicked approximately 20k kilometers during the ten years of our ownership. It was serviced regularly, so the vehicle is in immaculate shape, but due to age and changing traffic scenarios, we never felt confident taking the i10 on long journeys.

Hunt for the new car-
Eventually, the i10 took the duty of our beater car, and the hunt for the new car began. We started by looking at the Tata Nexon, as I drove it extensively via Zoomcar and loved its overall comfort and power. This one convinced me so much that motivated by this my childhood friend got one before we could pull the trigger (he is a happy owner and already clocked 40k km in just two years of ownership). But with time, we realized traveling with our German Shephard and luggage wouldn't be comfortable in the Nexon, so our search progressed to the Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos.

Test Drive-
Eventually, Tata Harrier and Hyundai Alcazar also got added to the list. So we started by test-driving all the shortlisted cars and began with the Harrier BS 6.2. Harrier was impressive to drive, Alcazar was mediocre, and I was blown away by VW Taigun (but its stiff suspension was a big-no by parents), and then we test-drove the wild card entry- XUV 700. It clicked immediately with everyone in the family. At the showroom, standing side-by-side (XUV 700 and Scorpio-N), my parents immediately gravitated towards the XUV. We took another test drive and immediately booked the car.

Final booking-
Here comes the budget part, starting with Nexon we were looking at the top model only of all the cars so our budget was 15 lakhs +/- 5 lakhs on-road. With XUV 700, it almost doubled to 30 lakhs on-road. But after having it for over a month and driving it over 1k km in the first week itself, I feel it is worth the stretch.
AROO7 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed