Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2007, 18:20   #1
BHPian

Ford's Total Maintainence Plan?

Hi friends,
I recently bought the Ford Ikon Flair and have also opted for extended warranty. The Service Engineer at Ford suggests that I go for TMP (Total Maintainance Plan). He said he could do that if I paid an extra Rs 2000.

What do you think I should do?. Can any Ford owners throw some light on this. It will also help future Ford owners.

Thanks
Shiv
Old 28th August 2007, 19:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes you should go for TMP, whats the time for coverage, i mean till how many years will it cover and what all.
Old 28th August 2007, 19:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sounds good for just 2k. Go ahead, but find out what all that would cover. Ask benny boy who will be along very shortly.
cheers
Old 29th August 2007, 10:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

The Extended Warranty would have costed you Rs.5000/- and i assume with Rs.2000/- you would be getting the TMP over the Extended Warranty, which is Rs.7000/- in total.

If i remember correctly, the TMP also covers the oil and filter charges, but i am not sure right now. Will check up and get back on this.
Old 29th August 2007, 12:02   #5
BHPian

Extended Warranty and TMP for FORD ikon

Hi all,
Here are some more details.

Extended Warranty:

Extended warranty does not cover wear and tear of items and consumables. It only covers manufacturing defects. You are charged for service and labour after the the manufacture warranty expires (after 1 year). Extended warranty starts after the manufacturers warranty expires. So a 2 year Extended warranty gives you a warranty cover for 3 years.

Costs:
2 years: Rs 10300
3 years: Rs 16800

TMP:

TMP covers wear and tear and consumables like oil change, filter change and labour. It also covers service charges. TMP is however considered from the date of sale of the vehicle. So a 2 year TMP covers you for 2 years from the date of sale of the vehicle.

Costs:
2 years/30000 kms: Rs 12600
3 years/45000 kms: Rs 33300

What do you guys suggest? What should ford owners pick?

Thanks
Shiv
Old 29th August 2007, 12:23   #6
BHPian

By the look of it, I think the TMP is better, considering it's a ford and I don't want to sound scarcastic it better to cover your self as much as possible. I like the Ikon a lot but a friend of mine who owns one is always running into trouble and both the authorised and the local machnics tend to take the Ikon owners for a ride, but these are my personal views.
Old 29th August 2007, 14:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

@musicmanaman : It all depends upon the dealer, I'd say. The TMP looks to be good, though.

As for the prices which Shiv has listed, i am not so sure if they have been changed. I bought the Extended Warranty for Rs.5000/- for a period of 2 years from the end of the manufacturer's warranty, at the time of purchasing the car.
Old 29th August 2007, 15:06   #8
BHPian

Sos!!!

benbsb29: You scare me. I got this charges confirmed this morning from the metro ford guys. When did you opt for extended warranty, I mean which year?

Are there more team-bhpians here who have opted for extended warranty or TMP from Ford?
Old 29th August 2007, 15:22   #9
Team-BHP Support

Shiv, are you buying a new Ikon Flair? If so, please check the price list which has been provided to you. I bought mine in Sep 2006, and i am quoting from my experience. I felt 5000 bucks for Extended Warranty is not too much considering how much i am paying for the car otherwise.

Since this has left you concerned, i shall chack up my price list and confirm by tomorrow. Also, TBHP doesnt exactly recommend Metro Ford for purchasing a Ford in Bangalore, based upon a fellow member's bad experience with them. If you havent paid the down payment, i would suggest you try out Cauvery Ford, although its not exactly located conveniently. Please let me know if you need any further help/details.
Old 29th August 2007, 15:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
... considering it's a ford and I don't want to sound scarcastic it better to cover your self as much as possible. I like the Ikon a lot but a friend of mine who owns one is always running into trouble and both the authorised and the local machnics tend to take the Ikon owners for a ride, but these are my personal views.
I second that.
Main reason I looked elsewhere after my last Ford, I had been taken consistently for a ride by the Goa Ford service garage. Being only one dealer, one had no fallback whatsoever.
Coming to the new TMP, all the brands that have an image of high maintenance costs seem to be using this tactic. GM, then Skoda, now Ford.
How about a thread/sticky that lists all the various TMPs and discusses them?
Old 29th August 2007, 16:18   #11
BHPian

benbsb29, how I wish I came across this forum before i bought my ikon from metro. I got the new ikon flair 2007 4 months ago. Soon after, i came across team-bhp and read all about metro ford. :(
Old 29th August 2007, 16:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Coming to the new TMP, all the brands that have an image of high maintenance costs seem to be using this tactic. GM, then Skoda, now Ford.
Ford has had the TMP for quite a few years now, its not a new gimmick for them

Shiv, you haven't mentioned what your usage is going to be like - if your overall running is not too much, go for TMP cause the coverage is more than the extended warranty

Last edited by suman : 29th August 2007 at 16:57.
Old 29th August 2007, 16:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
its not a new gimmick for them
You mean to say it is still a gimmick Suman?
Old 29th August 2007, 18:16   #14
BHPian

suman, i manage around 600 kms a month....
Old 29th August 2007, 18:17   #15
BHPian

Guys,

Pl.s note the extended warranty is 1 additional year warranty from Ford after the default 1 yr warrnty get over, effectively 2 yrs.

TMP at Rs.2000 is sure good bet, but how long this TMP is valid , will that be till 2 yrs of extn warranty?

In which ever case TMP is an advtg bcoz the cost of oil, filters is just free.

Go ahead.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks