Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2004, 11:41   #1

Both are priced almost equally. Which car do you prefer to own?
Old 11th October 2004, 15:54   #2
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Baleno,
It simply belongs to a higher segment.
Old 11th October 2004, 16:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

Isn't the Ikon quite a bit cheaper now? The base Baleno would work out to about 6.1 lakhs on road I think. For that you could pobably get a fully loaded 1.6 I think (right NC??) IF that's the case, i would prefer the Ikon.

However, if your priorities are comfort and easy maintanence, then the Baleno wins.

Rt
Old 11th October 2004, 17:12   #4
BHPian

I would prefer the Ikon 1.6 - better looks, more torquey engine, better handling.
Decent build, ride, FE, rear-seat comfort.
Old 11th October 2004, 17:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

There's not much difference between the Baleno Lxi and the Vxi. So i'd go for the baleno lxi than the loaded Ikon. Simply because of japanese technology and Maruti's dealer network. Besides, its very economical even though there's no lack of power
Old 11th October 2004, 17:50   #6
BHPian

if F.E , acceleration , maintenance, reliability, are more important, go for the Baleno, As far as the image is , I'd say what the Baleno makes up by being a 'bigger car' it loses in being uncool and it tail light cluster...that's if you care for street cred...The Ikon still has the image of being a younger car...but each to his own...

If bad road handling and comfort matters the Ikon would be better. Also perhaps more stable at higher speeds. Maintenance and parts would be more expensive.

The Baleno feels lower and so while it's more fun at times , it doesn't inspire confidence as compared to a solidly built and higher Ikon/Petra/Corsa (check the Baleno NCAAP ratings a well - had the worst rating it's catergory - 1.5 stars out of 5 if i'm not mistaken)

I haven't seen the interiors of the new Ikon but compared to the oldest models , the Baleno feels better (let's say - like a cheap Japanese car meant to be a taxi in some small Japanese town - but it all fits together )

Resale ? i just can't say - both cars have lost a lot of appeal over the years , more so the Baleno ...i'd say it's a toss up - but the Ikon has the edge.

I've decided on getting a Baleno, kitting it out with 195/55 on 15" ... a K&N replacement/drop in filter, a single MP3 CD stereo - nothing else - don't want to void the warranty. Maybe strut braces if it helps. *Was thinking of a steering and the most basic recaro/sparco seats with slots for 4 point belts but i think they'd be too expensive.

(P.S experts - would the much praised Goodyears F1 GS-DS3 be a good choice in this size and how much would they cost ?
what other alternatives do i have out there ? thanks)

***remember the LXi doesnt come with the thickly padded steering, fake wood console garnish - has the black one, or alloys, stereo, rear defogger and it does come the with classical maruti trait : horrible tyres : 165/80 on 13" inchers ***

The Ford, the Petra (and taking my folks 1.6 Palio Adv ) were under consideration but somehow *the Baleno gave me a better feeling - cant describe it but it felt snug and comfortable unlike the higher Ikons and Adventure. Priorities for *me are a blend of good quality tarmac and bad road handling and acceleration. (delhi roads can be F1 smooth one moment then WRC bad the next)...the adventure seems good for this but somehow i just feel better in the Baleno.

I only wish Maruti could offer a Baleno without any power windows, a smaller AC, take out the power mirrors....somehow reduce some more weight, add underbody protection, stiffer springs........

zaphod

Old 11th October 2004, 20:37   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Are you kidding? The Baleno hands down.

The Baleno is a FULL size bigger, has a much revv-happy engine, an air-con that beats that of the C-Class, more room on the interiors, much better ride comfort, far better handler (Let the Ikon get atleast anti-roll bars. Then we will talk)...and yes, did I mention its a Maruti? This baby will last.

Of course, for lovers of fuel efficiency. Autocar India states the Ikon in-city FE at 8.4. The Baleno? 9.7.

0 - 100
Baleno : 11.13
Ikon 1.6 : 11.96

TopSpeed
Baleno : 185
Ikon : 174

The one thing I NEED in all my cars is good braking, and the Ikon loses out on this front. Big time.

Buy a Baleno. Pay a couple of extra grand and get a 4 year warranty. Enjoy Marutis service.

GTO
Old 11th October 2004, 20:41   #8
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Baleno..reasons already mentioned by GTO
Old 11th October 2004, 21:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Its the Baleno.. reasons given above

Dippy
Old 12th October 2004, 00:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Call me stupid but i tend to thing that the headlights on the baleno look ugly rather than the tail lights. And i agree with zaphod that Baleno is perhaps meant to be used as a taxi in japan. The quality of plastic on the dashboard and other places is very cheap. But the engine more than makes up for that.
Old 12th October 2004, 02:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Deeps @ Oct. 11 2004,22:38)]Call me stupid but i tend to thing that the headlights on the baleno look ugly rather than the tail lights. *And i agree with zaphod that Baleno is perhaps meant to be used as a taxi in japan. *The quality of plastic on the dashboard and other places is very cheap. *But the engine more than makes up for that.
Well, ugly cars do sell in India by a thumb rule. Look at the Santro. It does do well. Its the package that counts.

Accepted that the Baleno has slightly substandard parts, but honestly, having sampled 3 year old Balenos, i can confidently say that the cars hold together very well, nary a squeak. Why, Autocar once even termed it the "most underrated car in India". Its very quick and that torque curve makes driving a breeze. Shifting to 14 inchers should improve performance drastically. Buy an Lxi, shift to slightly bigger and wider tyres and a few accoutrements later, you have a car thats very comfy, fast and a reasonably good handler and rider. To top that, Maruti's legendary FE and service setup later and you just can't go wrong.

At 6.1 lakhs, its not highway robbery, its corporate charity.

The Ikon 1.6 is now selling for the price it all the time was worth. Even then, as a package, the Baleno beats the Ikon. Hollow

Revvmaster
Old 12th October 2004, 11:35   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Well, ugly cars do sell in India by a thumb rule. Look at the Santro. It does do well. Its the package that counts.
Theres a little more to that. Ugly but modern cars will sell in India e.g. New Honda City, Hyundai Santro etc. Cos they offer so much more practicality.

But ugly and outdated cars will no longer sell. The Baleno is a solid example of that. At the original price of 8 lacs, it sold embarassing numbers. Its selling now, but any car would with a 2.xx lac price cut.

GTO
Old 12th October 2004, 13:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

its definitely the baleno.
buy it and change to wider tires.
Old 13th October 2004, 03:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Baleno man , In future if u intend to do any mods ,baleno is the right car
Its much better than the ikon to mod
Baleno for FE, Maruti , Acceeration , resale is same for both Ikon and baleno( neck to neck). Maybe Baleno is a 20k more in bombay
Old 13th October 2004, 09:51   #15
Team-BHP Support

The Baleno is from a higher segment. It's obviously a better car.
Looks and tyres apart, the Baleno is the one to go for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks