Old 30th August 2007, 09:18   #16
Team-BHP Support

Stick to it

The carwale estimate which migh be slghtly off says 13

There is a mar 2005 black manual 11.5 k advertised there for Rs 13.5

You can always counter argues on the following

1: New version coming out next year
2: Newer version with revised bum already around
3: Car not used much means potential sludging of oil and lower life of rubber bits ats engine not reached optimum temperature

Never be in a hurry to buy or sell
Old 30th August 2007, 11:34   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Agreed. 13.5 (max 13.75) is the appropriate price since a brand new is 18.8. And this car is 2.5 years old.
Old 30th August 2007, 11:46   #18
BHPian

Automart in Sarjapur road was offering an Accord AT (2005 model) with 27K on the odometer for 13 L. Last I heard, it got sold for 13 L. There's a Black V6 in National motors. Maybe you can check that out as well
Old 30th August 2007, 13:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Errrrrrm, AT's have torque converters and not clutches. Being a honda, the car should be okay unless it has been totally abused. One check to be done is to put the car into drive and check 1: whether the transmission engages without a delay and 2: whether it makes a noise. Check whether gears change smoother. On an empty road (in bangalore???), put you foot down and ensure that the gears "kickdown", change down as per response.

Ensure the fluid is changed as per schedule. Changing the fluid earlier than later is more beneficial
The absence of a clutch pedal doesnt mean the car doesnt have a clutch plate! As far i know in AT cars the clutch is actuated by electronic equipment which can synchronize the timing and torque required to make gear shifts. Which means the clutch pressing is done by a hydraulic servomotor which reads the torque and then automatically engages or disengages the clutch.

So when a person is driving slow in a AT vehicle the clutch is actually used more in an AT than in a MT vehicle, which may lead to lower clutch life.

Semi-automatic transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 30th August 2007, 13:45   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
So when a person is driving slow in a AT vehicle the clutch is actually used more in an AT than in a MT vehicle, which may lead to lower clutch life.

Semi-automatic transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a fully automatic one so where is the clutch?
Old 30th August 2007, 13:58   #21
BHPian

Torque converters have an overrunning clutch, how else would it disengage from the engine? I am not an expert in this but i get it that torque converters have clutches too!

You can see the clutch inside.

Old 30th August 2007, 14:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

There are lot of parts on the car which age with time irrespective of KM run.So time is one major factor in the resale value of the car. we can go with a thumbrule of -

1st year - 15% depreciation and 10 % depreciation for next 3-4 years and 7% after year 5.

Ideally speaking you should pay 70% of the new car value for a 2.5 year old car which then translates to 13.2 L while you are offering 13.5 for its low mileage. I would suggest you have it checked out with Honda mechanics and maybe offer upto 14 L if the car is in MINT condition.

Does the car have any additional accessories over and above what was provided by Honda? If yes then you may have to consider the additional depreciated value of those accessories (Depreciate accesories by 40%).

Another point to check out is the insurance - Is there any claim on the same. Does it come with no claim bonus and the validity period of the current insurance.
Old 30th August 2007, 14:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Torque converters themselves do not have to contain clutch. Some use a lock up clutch I guess.
Old 30th August 2007, 17:58   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Cluctch checked in a AT? Or am i missing something

Isn't there a torque converter lockup clutch?

The Honda AT should have one, right?

BTW, I thought the lockup clutch in the AT will have more life than the clutch in the MT as the clutch engagement will be precisely controlled...
Old 30th August 2007, 19:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

i think you should stick with the price of 13.5 which is a fair deal for a 2.5 yr old car if you want you could move it upto 13.75 but not more. the premium being paid for the low milage on the car. you should get the car checked for the oil and other components as i am sure the car would not be driven and things could be in a bad shape internally.
Old 30th August 2007, 21:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

You guys are both right and wrong. The conventional A/T dosent have a manual type dry clutch and its function is done by the Torque COnverter.

However there are several wet clutches in and A/T that are operated using hydraulics. The T/C lockup clutch is one of them.

Lets not go further OT.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:06   #27

deepak... I think buying the AT is a great idea... but I think you should not offer more than what you currently are offering... my friend bought a 2 year old accord at for 12 lakhs this year.. it had slightly more mileage on it.. about 15K kms I guess
Old 28th January 2009, 18:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Deepak- The 2.4 AT is far from being sluggish... it is a very quick machine. Go for the AT you wont regret it.
Waking up an old thread...

Here's a very relevant question. What's the FE in a 2002 Honda Accord A/T ?
My guess is around 6-7 kmpl.
Old 28th January 2009, 19:50   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yup, 6.5 kpl is a good number to stick with in urban India.
Old 28th January 2009, 19:51   #30
BHPian

buy the AT, i own one and its a BEAST. you'll be everything but unhappy. go for it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks