Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2007, 17:57   #1
BANNED

How good is an Accord 2.4 AT?

Guys,

I need this info reasonably urgently as I have the chance to buy a 2.4 AT but no time for a test drive. Is the car sluggish with an AT or is the pick up decent enough? Is it better to buy a MT?
Old 29th August 2007, 18:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

an mt would be more fun but if you do a lot of city driving the at would be better. the engine as all honda engines is refined and rev happy. i havent driven one so cant comment about the sluggishness.

and i suggest you dont buy anything without a test drive however tempting it might be. see the car and its condition and take it for a test drive then come to a conclusion.
Old 29th August 2007, 18:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Deepak- The 2.4 AT is far from being sluggish... it is a very quick machine. Go for the AT you wont regret it.
Old 29th August 2007, 20:01   #4
BANNED

Thanks guys,

I have seen the car and its in great condition but I will take a test drive if the pricing is right - otherwise no point as the owner is not currently here. Thats what I meant - is it worth negotiating.

Seems like it will be a great drive so I'll go for it.
Old 29th August 2007, 20:13   #5
BHPian

deepak, i recently bought a civic MT and had done TD of AT too and had read a lot on AT/MT,what i feel is with MT ,you feel you are in command and as per data for Civic MT/AT,MT gets faster pick up/acceleration and the only benefit of AT is that in heavy traffic conditions ,it lets you work less in terms of gear changes plus the feel of F1 !!!!!. BUT please do a Test drive
Old 29th August 2007, 20:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by merains View Post
deepak, i recently bought a civic MT and had done TD of AT too and had read a lot on AT/MT,what i feel is with MT ,you feel you are in command and as per data for Civic MT/AT,MT gets faster pick up/acceleration and the only benefit of AT is that in heavy traffic conditions ,it lets you work less in terms of gear changes plus the feel of F1 !!!!!. BUT please do a Test drive

thats only in the civic.. not in the accord. personally i too prefer MT.
Old 29th August 2007, 20:51   #7
BHPian

I would also suggest to get the Clutch checked, as ATs can be very hard on the clutch and the clutch life is lower than an MT. So if anyone is selling it so early, its usually better to get the clutch checked and mechanicals checked for any hidden flaults.
Old 29th August 2007, 21:23   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
I would also suggest to get the Clutch checked, as ATs can be very hard on the clutch and the clutch life is lower than an MT. So if anyone is selling it so early, its usually better to get the clutch checked and mechanicals checked for any hidden flaults.

Errrrrrm, AT's have torque converters and not clutches. Being a honda, the car should be okay unless it has been totally abused. One check to be done is to put the car into drive and check 1: whether the transmission engages without a delay and 2: whether it makes a noise. Check whether gears change smoother. On an empty road (in bangalore???), put you foot down and ensure that the gears "kickdown", change down as per response.

Ensure the fluid is changed as per schedule. Changing the fluid earlier than later is more beneficial
Old 29th August 2007, 21:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
Cluctch checked in a AT? Or am i missing something
Old 29th August 2007, 21:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Deepak - I recently drove a CR-V AT and that was very nice, good accelaration, smooth engine & very soothing to drive in traffic. Based on this I would say the Accord would be similarly nice but I haven't driven a 2.4 AT yet.
Old 29th August 2007, 22:38   #11
BHPian

Hey deepakvrao! I'd give a green signal for the 2.4 A/T. It's a nice car and isn't sluggish at all. It's very responsive. Do take a test drive before acquiring it though.

cya
A
Old 29th August 2007, 23:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Deepak

Take a test drive and if the car is good go for it without thinking further. The 2.4 is a great engine, its very quick sluggish doesnt figure her anywhere. Great combination of ease of driving and performance at the same time.
Wanted to give some tips but I see Amit has done that already

Good luck
Old 30th August 2007, 01:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Check the trans fluid. If it black, then there is trouble. It should be bright red.
Old 30th August 2007, 03:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

the accord 2.4 AT is not sluggish at all it is very good. i have the manual and my friends 3 of them the AT both in comparrision differ very slightly power wise.AT is very comfortable in the traffics what a relief. i would say go for it.
Old 30th August 2007, 08:06   #15
BANNED

Owner and I cant seem to come to a figure that is mutually acceptable. The car is a Feb 2005, absolutely showroom condition with 7000 km done. I have offered 13.5 and he is not budging from 15. What do you guys think is a fair price considering the new AT is 18.85 OTR in Bangalore. While his contention is that it has done only 7K km and I agree - the car is still 2.5 yrs old. I would appreciate any advise of what is the maximum that I should offer.

Thanks for the rest of the feedback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks