Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2007, 20:40   #1
BHPian

An indian camper anyone?

A day out in the wilderness!

One of my dreams is to camp on a farm underneath a clear sky full of stars, with no one – and I mean no one (ok ok that special someone) for company. I can visualize bright stars – millions and millions of them, with the smell of fresh green grass, and the sounds of insects fiddling.

About a week or so ago, I had the opportunity to see how a lot of my fellow Indians can do something like this – a camper – yes an Indian camper that will allow 4 to travel, camp, cook, sleep, drink (a fridge is included), go potty – a chemical portable toilet even, shower, anywhere (built on a 4x4 platform).

T-Bhpian Great Guy has gone ahead and as a dream project built this

A camper based on the Tata TL 4x4 Pick up.

It’s big. and long (no double meanings here)– mighty impressive in real life –

It has a motor to raise and lower the roof – the roof can be raised by about 5 feet to form a more voluminous interior – and it houses this:

The mattress behind the fan above is a double bed, when the roof is raised, you can comfortably sit in that area. The mattress/bunk to the left is a pullout, so you have a double bed.

The box immediately to the right above is the refrigerator, and the portable pullout toilet is the box on the right below.

Another view:

This view shows the basin, the steel table can be raised to reveal a twin burner stove and the shelves below are storage areas.

The motor that raises the roof is stored below the sink area – (I might be wrong here) and the charging is done by solar batteries on the roof:

Another view of the solar panels –

Add good rubber and butch alloys -

With a neat, very attractive (my opinion) way of storing the spare –

Throw in other things that fit in the back of the camper – 4 chairs,

A dining table –

Add foldable tents, sleeping bags, other miscellaneous gear and you have a completely equipped 4 person camper that you can use to go to Ladakh or Thar or wherever the goddamn hell you choose.

Interesting aint it? And it’s all done by T-BHPian Gr8Guy. He showed me around his workshop and it felt absolutely great to see this labour of love.

I hope you enjoy reading this, i certainly enjoyed typing it!

Superavi

Last edited by Samurai : 30th August 2007 at 17:37. Reason: Pics - need to upload the pics and remove the img tags.
superavi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th August 2007, 21:05   #2
BHPian

Great stuff Super Ravi! The attention to detail is very interesting and off course the body work is very well made. Which city is this from?
Monster_BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2007, 21:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

The neck exercise was really refreshing! Feeling a lot better now. Somehow had a shoulder pain which vanished after reading (er seeing) your post. So thanks a lot.

However, this camper is so cool, I cant wait to take it for camping. Now , where are the camping sites? It was alsways my dream to see the whole country (especially the northern parts) travelling in a caravan. Looks like the dream is going to come true.
Old 29th August 2007, 21:12   #4
BHPian

Looks great! How about some pictures or description of the building process? What did you use, where did you get hard to get parts, what about putting solar panels on, integrating fridge, etc. Was anything custom made?
Old 29th August 2007, 22:33   #5
BHPian

cost?? Where? material sourcing?
Old 30th August 2007, 01:40   #6
BHPian

Nicer camper.Reminds me of the campers of we used to get around here. Will post pics in the future when i find another for sure if you guys are interested. Amazing campers have been things of the eighties here in Goa. Unfortunately they are rare to find of late!
Old 30th August 2007, 01:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

superravi that is some great stuff there, did not mind the neck exercise at all. the camper is a work of genious.
where was it built and are you planning to mass produce it or was it a one off project.
i am sure there would be alot of people like me who like to spend time away from the daily chores of work and need time to relax with nature. i love going trecking and camping and the camper sure looks nice. i have often thought of getting myself a 80's landcruiser and makeing one of these campers but never had the time.
Old 30th August 2007, 09:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good Work and nice choice of color.
Old 30th August 2007, 09:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

this is not the first time this is done in india on such vehicle, there was one red colour camper built in belgaum [karnataka] it was featured in most of the auto mags, in early 90s, I don't remember the name of the company , but they did not have any taker that time. it was on the than newly launched tatamobile crewcab....except for the solar panels the design was identical and one more great thing was that it had a full size bed in the top front area as compared to just space for the bedding here.it' cost was some where in the region of 3 lak, for just the conversion.
Old 30th August 2007, 09:53   #10
Team-BHP Support

Ohh GR8Guy from Overlanders specialty vehicles eh? Nice one that. Now when can we take a look?
Old 30th August 2007, 09:57   #11
BHPian

loved it.... wish I could get one ..like the way the sparewheel is put. overall very nicely done and pretty useful
Old 30th August 2007, 12:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Ohh GR8Guy from Overlanders specialty vehicles eh? Nice one that. Now when can we take a look?
Hi everybody,
The vehicle is in Pune and we can decide when all the interested guys can come together and we can see the vehicle. I will be able to explain all the features and its working at the same time. ( No Neck-pain then!!)

Moral, I have not confirmed abt the Pune meet as I am still not sure if a will be in Pune that day, but will come to know by 31st morning!

Cheers!
Old 30th August 2007, 16:09   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent job, and congratulations to your friend "gr8guy" on a purposeful car. There is something about personalised machines that makes them so appealing. The Tata looks great and very proportionate for a camper, while the motorised roof and solar power show the effort & engineering thats gone into this beast.

Have some great holidays....and do add a well-stocked bar in there
Old 30th August 2007, 19:04   #14
BHPian

Thanks GTO,

Btw Gr8Guy is on this forum, he's posted below.

Others, there are some technical questions asked by other members - I defer to Gr8Guy to answer them as he's the one who's worked on the Camper.

Thank you for your comments!

Thanks to Samurai San for having "righted" the images.

Superavi
Old 30th August 2007, 21:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Excellent job, and congratulations to your friend "gr8guy" on a purposeful car. There is something about personalised machines that makes them so appealing. The Tata looks great and very proportionate for a camper, while the motorised roof and solar power show the effort & engineering thats gone into this beast.

Have some great holidays....and do add a well-stocked bar in there
Thanks GTO,
That is quite encouraging!
I would be more than happy to show it to fellow Bhpians interested, and share my little knowledge about it.
I am sure I will get some encouraging and insightful inputs too!
Our factory is in Chinchwad,Pune. We can plan for it too!

Most Viewed