Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2007, 23:36   #61
BHPian

@xtr21: Yes the sports grill can be put as a aftermarket fitting but not for 15k.The one which you are talking about is a singapore made which is made of cheap plastic acrylic and is actually for 7K the local dealers sell it for 15K.It starts developing cracks within 2 weeks.However this would be the first time Mercedes Benz would be manufacturing these sports grill as it is going to be a official fitting in the new C class and would be officially available for about 40-45k.

@Tuner-The deliveries would begin immediately after the launch in last week of jan.The bookings are in full swing at all dealerships.The engine options like i said would be the C 200K with 170+hp and the C 220cdi.The 320 cdi is not possible to be launched as our homologation guidelines do not allow a car of this size with such a massive engine.However there are news of the C 230 being launched in the 3rd quarter of '08.

@merve extreme-Wait for more of these beauties on road after the 20th of this month.Shutter bugs get your clickers out!!!
Old 11th December 2007, 23:52   #62
Senior - BHPian

A C320 CDI will never get launched in any case as it will kill the E280 CDI in performance. Whatever Mercedes might signify as a brand (luxury, comfort, etc. etc.) they cannot afford to have such a faux pas in their range.
Old 12th December 2007, 00:28   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_headrock View Post
...The 320 cdi is not possible to be launched as our homologation guidelines do not allow a car of this size with such a massive engine.
Who is the "our" you refer to? MB India? ARAI? In any case since when does a guideline "allow" or disallow something? If it's a guideline, surely it's a recommendation and not a rule?
Old 12th December 2007, 00:43   #64
Senior - BHPian

I think with "OUR" he refers to ARAI.
Old 12th December 2007, 01:31   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
A C320 CDI will never get launched in any case as it will kill the E280 CDI in performance. Whatever Mercedes might signify as a brand (luxury, comfort, etc. etc.) they cannot afford to have such a faux pas in their range.
Personally I disagree with this old-fashioned way of looking at a manufacturer's range. Size of vehicle may have been an effective way of categorizing cars in times gone by, but today with more manufacturers blurring the lines between models and several cross-overs being made, an educated consumer will not necessarily equate a bigger, more expensive car to be a better car. This is especially the case when our cities are getting ever more congested and big cars are increasingly difficult to self-drive and park.

Personally I don't think it matters whether a "smaller" C class can out-run a "bigger" (better?!) E class. I don't think a buyer who wants a fast car necessarily wants a big, luxurious one and vice-versa. So, as long as a buyer is willing to pay for it, what does it matter if a smaller model can outperform a bigger one? The bottom line, and the only real criterion, is that the demand for smaller, performance-oriented cars is traditionally lower in India than the demand for larger, more luxurious cars at a similar price point. I think it's simple market economics at work. Once enough people are willing to talk with their cheque books, the manufacturers will offer a wider range of models.
Old 12th December 2007, 01:49   #66
Senior - BHPian

Karl - Agreed, I too would love to see more powerful engine options on the cars being sold in India be it big or small. But, in our FE concious environment can you show me a few examples of this happening??

Let's be frank with ourselves, we would love to see M3's & M5's being sold here along with the E63's & C63's but the point of the matter is that the general public buys them for their badge, comfort & snob value & not for their performance! To be brutally frank people like you in our market are few & far between and that is not going to change anytime soon.

Last edited by iraghava : 12th December 2007 at 01:51.
Old 12th December 2007, 02:55   #67
Senior - BHPian

I agree with all of what you just wrote. I've been quite shocked that around 75% of the people who have met me in the M3 have asked what FE I get!

As a performance enthusiast, I find it heartening, though, that some smaller cars are being offered with higher performance engines today. The CRDI Getz is an example that comes to mind immediately. An example of the opposite is the E 200K. I feel that if MB India feels the need to offer a cut-price E with a smaller engine and lower spec trim, why not do the opposite and at least offer a more expensive variant of the C with a better engine and some extra goodies?

At any rate (and coming back on-topic) I'm really glad that the competition in virtually every segment of the market is finally improving, because I'm sure we will all see wider ranges of models being offered in future, and this will benefit all of us. So, here's hoping that if not a C320 CDI, at least a C280 CDI gets offered in the new C class. Hey, that might even prompt BMW to bring the 330D here!

Last edited by kbk_75 : 12th December 2007 at 02:57.
Old 12th December 2007, 03:39   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
I agree with all of what you just wrote. I've been quite shocked that around 75% of the people who have met me in the M3 have asked what FE I get!
There you go! Kind of proves my point doesn't it!

Quote:
An example of the opposite is the E 200K. I feel that if MB India feels the need to offer a cut-price E with a smaller engine and lower spec trim, why not do the opposite and at least offer a more expensive variant of the C with a better engine and some extra goodies?
I'm sure they would love to but the only problem is like I mentioned earlier, there are far more buyers in our market for under-powered big cars than adequately powered (read sporty!) small cars. Majority of people in our market would prefer an E-Class with a puny 200k engine than a C-Class with a 6.3L V8! (Not that I'm one of them!!)

Quote:
So, here's hoping that if not a C320 CDI, at least a C280 CDI gets offered in the new C class. Hey, that might even prompt BMW to bring the 330D here!
Oh how I wish that happens!! And while I'm on my dreaming trip, I too win a lottery & buy one of those 330 D's!!

P.S. Or one of the M-cars would be more welcome too!

Last edited by iraghava : 12th December 2007 at 03:42.
Old 12th December 2007, 08:35   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

old fashioned or whatever u might want to call it, in india size of a luxury car means status unless its a sports cars.
Yes the indian consumer wants performance and gizmos but he also wants the car to be feasible to use everyday if its a luxury car. Simple reason why the diesels always out sell the petrols in the e- class and 5 series.
Offering the c280 cdi would happen only if the e320cdi comes in imo, although to an onlooker the models number badge but from the buyers view 'why should i buy a c class engine in an e'
Although bmw has really raced the performance engine bars here, let's hope it get better and the 535 get assembled here
Old 12th December 2007, 11:43   #70
BHPian

HI All,

Well I was on the way to pune this sat afternoon. Saw 2 new C class Merc CDI. Both of them were of non sports grill with temp regis no. Was with me from food mall before ghats to food mall after lonavala. Head lights looks fantastic but tails lights were not that impressive. The tail lights more or less looks like a red band sandwitched in two clear bands .

Didnt remember they were 230 or 280 .Now dont beat me for that.
Old 12th December 2007, 12:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

535? D? I doubt that engine will be assembled here any time soon. There's just no ULS diesel available for that. 530D with some tweaks may be, just may be. Let's all just hope that BMW's serious entry into India makes Mercedes improve their game, and the process keeps going!
Old 12th December 2007, 13:03   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Personally I disagree with this old-fashioned way of looking at a manufacturer's range. Size of vehicle may have been an effective way of categorizing cars in times gone by, but today with more manufacturers blurring the lines between models and several cross-overs being made, an educated consumer will not necessarily equate a bigger, more expensive car to be a better car. This is especially the case when our cities are getting ever more congested and big cars are increasingly difficult to self-drive and park.

Personally I don't think it matters whether a "smaller" C class can out-run a "bigger" (better?!) E class. I don't think a buyer who wants a fast car necessarily wants a big, luxurious one and vice-versa. So, as long as a buyer is willing to pay for it, what does it matter if a smaller model can outperform a bigger one? The bottom line, and the only real criterion, is that the demand for smaller, performance-oriented cars is traditionally lower in India than the demand for larger, more luxurious cars at a similar price point. I think it's simple market economics at work. Once enough people are willing to talk with their cheque books, the manufacturers will offer a wider range of models.
i think u said it right kbk!
Old 12th December 2007, 14:21   #73
BHPian

Quote:
So, here's hoping that if not a C320 CDI, at least a C280 CDI gets offered in the new C class. Hey, that might even prompt BMW to bring the 330D here!
Both the 280CDI and 320CDI are in fact the same engine. It's a 3litre V6 unit. They use the different designations as the are in different states of tune.

Mercedes-Benz UK - Passenger Cars - New Mercedes E-Class - Diesel models
(Click and check between a E280CDI and E320CDI)

It doesn't matter if we get an 280CDI, just go to a reputed European tuner (Brabus/Carlsson/Lorinser etc...) and they can tune it to a 320CDI state or much higher.

This is a little secret most E280CDI owners don't know and have yet to exploit.

Edit:
Just checked the UK and German Mercedes websites. There is no C280CDI, Only C320CDI. It looks like there is little chance of India getting a C320CDI as it be too close to a E280CDI in price terms.

Last edited by Raja : 12th December 2007 at 14:28.
Old 12th December 2007, 16:11   #74
BHPian

Quote:
an educated consumer will not necessarily equate a bigger, more expensive car to be a better car.
Couldnt agree anymore with ya; I'd much rather buy a C over an E. Simply because its more chuckable and is available with a manual transmission. The new C with a 3 liter common-rail would be an outright temptress!!
Old 12th December 2007, 18:58   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

Oh how I wish that happens!! And while I'm on my dreaming trip, I too win a lottery & buy one of those 330 D's!!
Apparently AutoCarIndia guys think BMW is bringing 335D as CBU sometime next year, priced somewhere at 45L+ :(
And this is a possible candidate in AutoExpo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks