Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2024, 18:47   #46
BHPian

Re: June 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Here are my two cents:
  • Magnite selling above 2K units per month, bringing cash each month. This car is on path of being a business case study on how one good product can save an entire organisation.
  • Rumion sales have doubled since January. If we consider Rumion, Ertiga, and XL6 as a single unit, the MPV packs quite a punch in sales figure.
  • Citroenís e-C3 showing decent sales as part of the company's portfolio. Perhaps Citroen may grow their brand image as an EV budget hatchback maker rather than dish out more crossover versions of C3.
  • Jimny selling fewer than Ciaz brings a lot of between-the-lines interpretations as to what went wrong with the SUV. Hope Maruti brainstorms and learns a few lessons from this.
  • No sale of Jeep Wrangler? Last I went to a movie, they screened several ads of it in the theatre. Not sure it was the right marketing choice for a car that costs 80+ lakhs on road.
  • Swift gaining second spot, despite a new three-cylinder engine, which may be perceived as a downgrade. Seems like Maruti knows their target customers pretty well on this one.
r2212xx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 19:02   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
We tend to forget that the Nexon is heading into it's 8th year and is kept relevant in the market by it's timely refreshes. 11k+ units monthly is truly impressive despite the competition. Big thanks to the stellar X1 platform.

Harrier/Safari needs a petrol engine option like 2 years ago! With more and more people switching over from diesels, it's staggering not offering a petrol option.
Petrol variants constitute only ~10% to Scorpio sales -> ~1200 units p.m. and ~25% of XUV700 sales -> another 1500 p.m. For Hector, petrol is ~75% -> 1400 units. This adds up to ~4000 units potentially available for Tata. Even if Tata grabs 33% of this (a stretch), they get another 1300 units per month. Thus, petrol is not a game changer for Harrier / Safari duo IMO.
adimax24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 19:18   #48

What intrigues me is the massive gap that has opened between Seltos (6k) & Creta (16k) while Sonet & Venue fight it out closely at 9-10k levels. The limitations of a lower Kia sales network are the same for both sets of cars.

And even if capacity were indeed the constraint as someone pointed above, why would Kia prioritize more Sonet than Seltos? Wouldn't Seltos bring in more profits for Kia?

My take:
  • Creta with its updated beige interiors, looks more upmarket. Also, beige works better in the Indian market than the black interiors in Seltos.
  • New Creta exteriors look more distinct and cleaner than Seltos which looks over-styled IMO
  • Creta does not have any features gaps wrt. Seltos now (earlier Seltos would get the first dibs on panaromic sunroof, the new 1.5 liter 160hp turbo)
  • Venue looks visibly smaller than Creta. Sonet, not so much as compared to Seltos.

Other opinions?
adimax24 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 19:19   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
While maintaining 2nd and 3rd position continuously, Hyundai and Tata sales yoy% seems to be a concern. All models reported negative growth, except Creta and Punch. Does this decline means, post Covid car hype is over and market is ready for a price correction?
The price correction is already under full swing. Multiple vfm models being launched, good number of discounts and price cuts on a few models as well. It's going to become a buyer's market again.
Old 10th July 2024, 19:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
one of the dealers
This is the key element here. There is more than one dealer and hence they are in a competition. For sure, it’s beneficial to us consumers like we all know.

Kia India, Mahindra & even the VAG India twins - If you guys are reading this, please up another dealer here in Goa & break this monopoly! I’m sure you guys will have better footfalls.

On a side note, I wish you all the luck in this process and may you find the best car at the best deal !
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 19:30   #51
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
This is the key element here. There is more than one dealer and hence they are in a competition. For sure, itís beneficial to us consumers like we all know.

Kia India, Mahindra & even the VAG India twins - If you guys are reading this, please up another dealer here in Goa & break this monopoly! Iím sure you guys will have better footfalls.
Agreed.

Quote:
On a side note, I wish you all the luck in this process and may you find the best car at the best deal !
Thank you so very much . Going ahead with the Seltos D AT X line. Just shared my observations here -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5801140 (2023 Kia Seltos Facelift Review)
Col Mehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 19:33   #52
BHPian

I believe Seltos might see a rise in the numbers once they sort out their variant offerings.

There is no proper NA-IVT top end unlike Creta and Verna. For some well specced variants the company offers only the clutchless iMT (which is clearly not preferred by many) or DCT (about which lot of people stay skeptical)

They can simply sort the variant distribution like the Creta and will definitely see the sales charts rise. (offer the MT with turbo, offer a proper top-end IVT and not make a customer look like working on huge charts like in a war room on what is he getting in what variant and what is being compromised)

Last edited by PrasunBannerjee : 10th July 2024 at 19:35.
PrasunBannerjee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 19:56   #53
BHPian

I wonder why XL6 does not sell as much!
Speaking of Gujarat onroad prices, its Alpha+ MT & Zeta AT petrol only variants are priced within rs15lakhs, and for that amount it offers a fantastic overall package as a family car.
vzvish91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 20:07   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, one of the dealers let us take extended test drives of the Seltos 7DCT and D AT. 30 minutes each! At our place! For free! Okay, just exaggerating . Will share my observations shortly.
Guess it was way different in Pune. Back in Dec 2023 when I purchased the car, the showroom guy did come to my place (10 Km distance), with the Diesel AT, and was happy to get the DCT Petrol as well, but I refrained. Unfortunately for him, another dealer made me a better deal and I went with him.

That said, no discounts were offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimax24 View Post
What intrigues me is the massive gap that has opened between Seltos (6k) & Creta (16k) while Sonet & Venue fight it out closely at 9-10k levels.
Sonet recently received a major facelift. Naturally the capacity would be shifted towards it for a short while, especially considering its in the hottest contested segment in the country. I believe, the numbers would even out a bit in future.

Creta has actually been criticized to miss out a lot of features compared to Seltos. Quoting from another post-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
There's few more areas Seltos FL trumps Creta FL-
Creta on the other hand only offers a cooled Glovebox and puddle lamps over Seltos.

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th July 2024 at 21:25. Reason: Please quote only relevant portion while replying.
Old 10th July 2024, 20:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimax24 View Post

What intrigues me is the massive gap that has opened between Seltos (6k) & Creta (16k) while Sonet & Venue fight it out closely at 9-10k levels. The limitations of a lower Kia sales network are the same for both sets of cars.

And even if capacity were indeed the constraint as someone pointed above, why would Kia prioritize more Sonet than Seltos? Wouldn't Seltos bring in more profits for Kia?
Well, the Seltos is not selling in numbers. That's all it is really. Dealers are in a treasure hunt mode to find takers for the Seltos. Some even have 2023 models which they are not able to sell. Even the 2024 models are up with heavy discounts and offers. That's the real picture. It's quite unfortunate though as the Seltos is the only true Creta competition in the segment which is being let down by poor business strategy by Kia such as not offering NA IVT on its top trim and no light interior theme in the GT line. There are many who find all black GT line interiors off-putting.

Kia has recently woken up and offered color options in the X line trim which will hopefully boost the numbers for them.
Old 10th July 2024, 20:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Grand Vitara and Mahindra's 3XO are not of the same segment.
They might not be, but from a pricing perspective, the 1.5 NA engine variant seems aligned with Nexon and 3xO. I've seen quite a few customers who've switched cars from different segments just because they offered much more features (or power) at a slight expense of space. I personally would choose a top variant of 3XO or Nexon with all bells and whistles over a Grand Vitara 1.5 NA if the price matched
Old 10th July 2024, 21:22   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so very much . Going ahead with the Seltos D AT X line. Just shared my observations here -
That's great. Congratulations!

Do share about the deal you managed to crack, when that happens.

Quote:
Well, the Seltos is not selling in numbers. That's all it is really. Dealers are in a treasure hunt mode to find takers for the Seltos. Some even have 2023 models which they are not able to sell. Even the 2024 models are up with heavy discounts and offers. That's the real picture. It's quite unfortunate though as the Seltos is the only true Creta competition in the segment which is being let down by poor business strategy by Kia such as not offering NA IVT on its top trim and no light interior theme in the GT line. There are many who find all black GT line interiors off-putting.
Very aptly put. There is no such constraint per se but, the takers for the Seltos. Period. The few pointers mentioned by you are true for majority of the folks. If, there was really such a constraint and Kia had order books like that of the Creta, than believe me Kia would have just chucked all their other offerings to the side and would have flooded their production lines with only Seltos. Ofcourse, thats' where the profits are; and who doesn't want one?

So, fact is the Seltos is not performing as Kia expected it to. Rather, how it did when the FL was just launched (~ 9k - 10k). Thankfully Sonet and to some extend the Carens (still) are making up for it but not for long.The day 2025 Venue hits the roads, Sonet will settle for 5k -6k units at best. And I'm not even considering the VAG sub 4m SUV in this. That should do a decent 2.5 - 3k IMHO, ofcourse if priced and specced well.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 10th July 2024 at 21:26.
ashvek3141 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 21:44   #58
BHPian

The prevailing theory in this forum seems to be that the automotive demand is tanking. To really understand if it is so, we will have to monitor Suzuki and TATA sales.

Suzuki had planned maintenance shut down in the month of June and lost a week of production, same as every year. So, YOY sales seem same as last year and MoM sales look bad. If YOY sales dip, even in July and August, then we will have the first confirmation that there is a downturn.

TATA is currently the darling of the technology seekers, the Swadeshis and the Stock markets. If the non-EV sales keep going down, then again automotive makers are in trouble.

Last edited by Carma2017 : 10th July 2024 at 21:45.
Old 10th July 2024, 21:59   #59
BHPian

Other than the Creta- Seltos sales difference, the Hycross - Invicto sales difference is also huge. Quite surprising !
Old 10th July 2024, 22:10   #60
BHPian

Quote:

That's great. Congratulations!

Do share about the deal you managed to crack, when that happens.
Thank you again .

Yes, I will. The purchase is planned for the festive season, most likely in October. The SA is very confident that there will be even better offers at that time, so the wait begins now. We booked the car with a waiting period of 4-6 weeks even though it's a bit early, did it just because the SA insisted (to meet his target). We made it super clear though that we will only accept the freshly baked product and he assured that he would place the order accordingly.

Quote:

Very aptly put. There is no such constraint per se but, the takers for the Seltos. Period. The few pointers mentioned by you are true for majority of the folks. If, there was really such a constraint and Kia had order books like that of the Creta, than believe me Kia would have just chucked all their other offerings to the side and would have flooded their production lines with only Seltos. Ofcourse, thats' where the profits are; and who doesn't want one?

So, fact is the Seltos is not performing as Kia expected it to. Rather, how it did when the FL was just launched (~ 9k - 10k). Thankfully Sonet and to some extend the Carens (still) are making up for it but not for long.The day 2025 Venue hits the roads, Sonet will settle for 5k -6k units at best. And I'm not even considering the VAG sub 4m SUV in this. That should do a decent 2.5 - 3k IMHO, ofcourse if priced and specced well.
Absolutely, the undeniable true fact is that the Seltos is underperforming and we all know why. As you rightly pointed out, Kia or any other manufacturer for that matter would never turn down higher sales unless they are smoking something very-very strong. They would prioritize their flagship offering to maximize profits. Period. Anything else you hear, in all likeliness, is not true.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 10th July 2024 at 22:27. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed