Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2024, 16:24   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai to launch new crossover to rival Maruti Fronx in 2026

Hyundai readying Fronx rival for 2026 launch.

Likely to be based on the Bayon, the crossover will be positioned below the Creta and alongside the Venue.

Hyundai to launch new crossover to rival Maruti Fronx in 2026-20240708024538_hyundai_bayon_ex.jpg

Quote:
Will be priced in the Rs 10 lakh-15 lakh region
Will have a lot in common with the i20
Engine likely to be shared with the Venue

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th July 2024 at 16:25.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 16:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India plans to introduce more SUVs to plug gaps in its portfolio and to ride on SUV tren

Well Hyundai needs one credible car above the Creta too. Yes there are/were cars, but they need to be more upmarket too.

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th July 2024 at 16:46.
DrOrtho83 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 23:30   #3

Re: Hyundai India plans to introduce more SUVs to plug gaps in its portfolio and to ride on SUV tren

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOrtho83 View Post
Well Hyundai needs one credible car above the Creta too. Yes there are/were cars, but they need to be more upmarket too.
Tucson is above Creta and more upmarket. The fresh design language and the feature set of the 2022 refresh is a great package. AWD diesel is a gem of an machine in that price point and I believe itís a better proposition than Compass and C5 aircross and maybe Tiguan too. The 2024 facelift launched globally takes the premiumness game a notch higher though Iím not sure when Hyundai will launch that in India
RootedCosmo is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 11:14   #4

For this model to be successful, Hyundai needs to differentiate it similar to how Maruti/Toyota differentiated their crossovers from Baleno/Glanza respectively.

That means significant changes to the front & rear ends and engine options. Otherwise, it will just be another version of i20 and may not justify the investment on this product.
microscopic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 11:21   #5
BHPian

Baleno -> Fronx
i20 -> i20 Active

Hyundai had entered in this segment long back (i20 Active) competing with Etios Cross, Polo Cross, Abarth Avventura. Since all these cars failed, hyundai had to discontinue i20 Active. But now this segment is good response (Fronx, Kiger, Magnite), it makes sense for them to launch a new crossover.

Last edited by sharmanova : 9th July 2024 at 11:22.
sharmanova is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 12:43   #6
BHPian

This micro SUV/ crossover thing is getting ridiculous IMO. I thought Hyundai had the Exter to compete with Fronx. And now another model. I get it it will be based on the i20 which means it should be more premium than the Exter, but still too many options in the same segment is making me feel irritated(or nauseated, If I may).

Why not try something like the SUV coupe based on the Creta, Hyundai are you listening?!
saikishor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 12:50   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Wow, bring it on Hyundai.

Having knows Hyundai and their big-bang approach on variants - I pray they bring in their tiny 1.5 diesel or may be the Hybrid(?) - pair it with a TC !

With a price range starting a lakh below the Fronx and by loading it with more features, they are sure to give Maruti the run for their money.

OT : Am for one eagerly waiting for their IPO, they seems to have their sights on Maruti big time and they along with KIA are best placed to de throne Maruti as India's number 1 OEM unless Maruti pull up their socks and invest in R&D rather than on badges.
Old 9th July 2024, 13:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootedCosmo View Post
Tucson is above Creta and more upmarket. The fresh design language and the feature set of the 2022 refresh is a great package.
The price gap between the Creta and the Tuscon is just too big. Creta is between the 16-22 lakh segment while the Tuscon is 40+ lakhs.

Sure, there is the Alcazar, but its not been able to take the fight to the XUV700 at all. Mahindra has the Scorpio-N, XUV700 and the soon to be launched 5-Door Thar, all selling between 25-30 lakhs. And thatís a segment Hyundai is missing in. Globally i dont know if they have a slightly smaller SUV than the Tuscon, but in india the gap between the Creta/ Alcazar to the Tuscon is just too big to be left unaddressed. And lets face it, the Tucson itself is not doing well, in spite of it being way cheaper than a Fortuner. And the snob value that say a Kodiaq has is not probably there in the Tuscon ( apart from the fact that something like a Kodiaq seems far better built as well).
motorworks is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 13:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The price gap between the Creta and the Tuscon is just too big. Creta is between the 16-22 lakh segment while the Tuscon is 40+ lakhs.
I totally agree with this. That is the reason they are exploring XUV700 rival. Hopefully then can bring it latest by early 2026. Regarding snob value of owning Tucson versus say Tiguan or similar rivals, that is something which people have to get out of it. Their Ioniq5 is selling in good numbers which is again at 50L with Hyundai badge. Having said that I would definitely love see one Hyundai 7 seater SUV in 20-30L range with the 2L diesel engine of Tucson. That will definitely pull many customers from XUV and Safari
Old 9th July 2024, 19:29   #10
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai to launch new crossover to rival Maruti Fronx in 2026

Hyundai to launch new crossover to rival Maruti Fronx in 2026 - Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 9th July 2024, 20:36   #11
BHPian

I don't think Hyundai needs a cross over at the moment. The i20 itself isn't doing well with the pricing debacle when they launched the new gen. They also have the N-Line version already.

Where Hyundai needs to enter the market is the MPV segment rivalling Ertiga. It's been far too long since the news about Hyundai developing a MPV came out. Probably they changed mind looking at Marazzo.

The Exter needs a facelift and better road presence to compete with the Punch.

Also, as mentioned above by others, Hyundai needs a SUV above the Creta to rival XUV/Harrier - Tucson has gone quite a bit upmarket with the new gen. Otherwise it was the perfect middle ground between the Creta and the bigger Santa FE.
ToThePoint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 22:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Like the Fraleno, the Bayon looks different enough from the i20 to pass off as an unrelated car to the untrained eye, which was not the case with the many failed attempts from others.

Two things worth considering:
- A common reason people pick the Fronx over the Baleno is snob value: it just has a reputation for being far too common (especially a rental car) that the Fronx doesn't. That is not the case with the i20.
- Like the Brezza, the next-gen Venue (which should be due soon) would probably have to move upmarket to accommodate this car.
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed