Team-BHP - Resale value of safari?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Resale value of safari? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/28281-resale-value-safari.html)

Guys mine first. i have a safari (4X4) that i baught 5 yesars ago. it is a 1998 model. i picked it up for 4.5 lakhs that time. now i have done up the whole car including engine,gear box,suspension, cd player with tv, sub woofer with 2 amps etc etc. now that i want to sell it i am not getting any thing more than 2.25 lakhs. i have spent about 4 lakhs on the car.

then my friend baught a brand now safari at the same time. and he sold his five years later and he got 3.5 lakhs for it. both the cars are in mint condition.

the safari's have a very bad resale value wonder why?.is this problem only in bangalore of is it all over the country and why.

u have spent 4 Lakhs now so its better u keep it for some time cos most of people spend on old cars only when they wish to keep them for more time

and i believe u will be able to fetch 2+ Lakhs after 1 yr also

you can check resale value for your car using following link, you will have to register at the site to use this feature.

Check value of your car for FREE - CarWale.com India

my friend recently sold his 98 safari 4x4 white color in mint condition for about 1.70

so i guess safari resale isn't good all over india

Safari's resale value is of course below sea level. After doing so much work on your vehicle, it is very sensible to keep it unless you have an urgent need to sell it.

The resale value of Safari is of course very attractive to those who prefer 2nd hands like myself :). But thanks to a few others who could bring us out of the maya that a safari can cast, we save ourselves.

I was neck-deep in search for a 2nd hand safari just a couple of weeks ago. But the sheer fact of its resale value spells out the credibility.

I cant stereotype my statement, there may be some wonderfully maintained / done-up Safaris like yours, but the market out there does not respect individuals, it templates by brand name and species.

So, my personal advice for you will be to keep it safe and running more.

P.S.: Mind telling what kind of engine work you did with your vehicle?

I think its the first breed of safari with a 2.0L engine and at that time it was overpriced to around 14L, now a better DICOR engine costs much lesser, so you can imagine the impact on the earlier model of safari's.

Also the engine/gear box work adds no value to its buyer, a buyer needs the vehicle to be in decent condition and the accessories dont add that much value too, since the buyer will always compare it with other similar models in the seconds market and accessories will fetch you peanuts.

Keep it for some more time with you if you think prices are less but going forward you'll fetch even lesser resale value, news of a new model (2.2L) is in the air.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunkvc (Post 549605)
Guys mine first. i have a safari (4X4) that i baught 5 yesars ago. it is a 1998 model. i picked it up for 4.5 lakhs that time. now i have done up the whole car including engine,gear box,suspension, cd player with tv, sub woofer with 2 amps etc etc. now that i want to sell it i am not getting any thing more than 2.25 lakhs. i have spent about 4 lakhs on the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 549657)
I think its the first breed of safari with a 2.0L engine and at that time it was overpriced to around 14L, now a better DICOR engine costs much lesser, so you can imagine the impact on the earlier model of safari's.

You are kidding, right:Shockked: ? Don't recollect the Safari having touched 14 lacs - I thought the most expensive ones were the "Limited" editions they had launched a few years ago with Fridge etc and even those were less than 11 lacs IIRC

Guys the Safari is a 98 models, its not a 03 model. For a 98(ie 10yr old) models 2.25lkh is a great price, considering it has the old turbo engine and newer variants of the turbo(non CRDI engine) is available for under 7lakhs.

The problem is he has spent a lot of cash on it, so i suggest you use it for some more time and also if you want to sell it right away remove the Sub-woofers etc and save it for your next car as you wont be getting any good deal for selling them along with it.

First a correction to my previous post, it was a 1.9L TDI in 1998.

Now coming to suman's query, when the DICOR engine was launched it costed Rs 12,86,615 (VX 4x4, ex-showroom, Chennai) , for the 1998 prices I am speaking my mind since I cant find any quoted prices now in 2007, its an approximation from what I remember. It was a state of art machine at that time, power windows, on-the-fly 4x4 switch, power steering, all these were considered luxuries in cars that time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 549675)
You are kidding, right:Shockked: ? Don't recollect the Safari having touched 14 lacs - I thought the most expensive ones were the "Limited" editions they had launched a few years ago with Fridge etc and even those were less than 11 lacs IIRC

the price ur getting is good.

sold my 99 safari 4X4 for 2.50 at the begining of this year.

the resale for pre 02 safaris is very low here in hyd.. so i guess this applies everywhere else in the south too..

wow what a responce thanks guys. ya i think i have to keep it now and about the engine i have done the whole thing changed the sleeves pistons the works every thing.

Probably you can remove the ICE and extra fitting and post it here in the market place section of this forum, maybe you can get a few more thousands...and sell your car as stock

Hmm, 1.5, 2Lacs. Sorry to be a leech, but is it worth buying these ? Verrrry tempting. Maybe an (safari) experienced tbhpian can help check the vehicle out!

Keep it a while longer, and while selling it remove the ice and keep it.

by the way why do you plan to sell her?
are you planning to go for the 2.2 too?or have you had enough of tata?;)