Team-BHP - safari petrol 2.1dohc
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   safari petrol 2.1dohc (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2834-safari-petrol-2-1dohc.html)

drive the safari petrol and u'll be amazed that tata can make such a great engine so smooth and punchy,its altogether a different beast and cruises very comfortably at speeds beyond 140 on the highway but sips petrol like a v6,but we cant blame tata for this taking into account the weight of the suv,the space and comfort are second to none,ull feel like ur driving a tank,but cheap quality switchgear and pooooooooor dealer support are real probs with the suv.

Wats the use of having a heavy petrol SUV with 135bhp??? It would have been better if they had launched a 2.5 ltr diesel with 100+ bhp but 28-30 kgm of torque.

When you say bhp you're taking in terms of acceleration which the Safari really suffers in. 1-100 in 16.8 secs, that too considering that it guzzles like a V6.

It's just not practical having a petrol engine powering such a heavy vehicle. These vehicles need torque more than power and 195nm is a really sad figure.

Regards...
Shan2nu

was thinking the same:
buy an nearly new for around 5lacs and run it on gas kit! would give the same economy as a diesel,plusi have the power too

i dont think its practical they should instead have gone for 2.5ltr + crdi engine ..... and tht would pack in a better punch.

Totally agree with you guys. The Safari petrol is such a waste, and unlike what their ads would portray...its actually a pretty slow car. 0 - 100 in almost 17 seconds is nothing to write home about.

Gimme the Scorpio anyday,

GTO

Infact the Safari 2.1 is such a waste that to date, a year since its launch, i have seen only 2 of them in Mumbai, one nearly every morning that i have driven to town. Both of them apparently are registered as private taxis. Wonder which fleet co. loves to run its balance sheet into the red?

Another bit of news. Tata Safari alongwith a few other vehicles have been blacklisted by certain Finance cos. It means that those finance cos. aren't willing to provide u finance if u choose to purchase the Safari. Got this bitta news from my dad's CA. How worse can it really be for the Safari... gawd alone knows.

Revv

someone in my company bought one and was trying to sell it for the past six months !

A petrol SUV/MUV in India is a total waste. Even the Qualis RS was a total flop.

Maybe they could use the 2.1 petrol for a limited series of Indica.....Hot Hatch

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]A petrol SUV/MUV in India is a total waste. Even the Qualis RS was a total flop.

You bet. Even the Petrol Scorpio is a totaly flop. Guess the CRV is the only petrol SUV that is selling as per expectations.

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Sep. 20 2004,11:05)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]A petrol SUV/MUV in India is a total waste. Even the Qualis RS was a total flop.

You bet. Even the Petrol Scorpio is a totaly flop. Guess the CRV is the only petrol SUV that is selling as per expectations.

GTO

I guess the CRV is just a soft roader. cant qualify it as a proper SUV.
-Chaxy

the crv is for the elite few who want comfort, reliable engineering and who wont be going typically off roading...
tata should invest in a good diesel engin and more importantly a better gearbox....
one of the main reasons for it being a flop

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Revvmaster @ Sep. 20 2004,01:50)]Wonder which fleet co. loves to run its balance sheet into the red?

hey revv,

here in town the taj group has a fleet of black petrol safaris n indigos (petrol), i see them almost everyday in front of the taj at gateway of india.

The taj group has lots of cash, even with guzzlers like the safari, i dont think they r in trouble....they can afford them thats y they are running them.

People like me can only wish my neighbour wud pay my fuel bills. hehehe *

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ Sep. 20 2004,10:08)]Even the Qualis RS was a total flop.

wasnt the Qualis GST Super petrol tooo???

I bought a Tata Safari Petrol recently despite all the criticism. Its a good car, priced right and has the performance. Best on indian highways, I just drove 2400 kms from Chennai to Goa and back, and it behaved very well. It doesnt guzzle as a V6, On the highway when you are always attempting to go past the 100kmph mark - it returns about 9.5kmpl average; if you are satisfied in the 80-90kmph range it returns 10.5kmpl. That is the evidence I have based on my trip log. I could match the company of a sonata on the maa-blr highway; the merc on mlr-goa highway and the lancer on the blr-maa return, until they realised it was not a Safari Diesel. This vehicle is for the guys with more heart and less head!

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ram2004 @ Oct. 28 2004,17:13)]This vehicle is for the guys with more heart and less head!

You said it dude. Congrats on ur purchase.

Drifter