Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: How do you decide to buy a car for YOU?
Going by spec/features/data sheet - I know what I pay for 112 73.20%
Going by experience of known person with same car 46 30.07%
Seeking advise from experts (automags, online forums, friends, etc) 85 55.56%
I just buy the one who is Leader/Top selling in the segment 3 1.96%
I simply go with brand name and buy whatever fits in my budget 11 7.19%
Additionally, I drive it myself and buy only if convinced 117 76.47%
I go with promotions of a model in media (ads, etc) 6 3.92%
Other reasons (please explain) 12 7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 10:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Thing I would look out for while buying a car

Looks
Performance
Reliability
Handling
Fit and Finish
Brand
Ride Quality
Old 9th September 2009, 11:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

For me the priorities when peicking up my i10 was:

1. A/T (Very weak with M/T cars)
2. Maintainability (fuel / spares / A.S.S)
3. Driveability in narrow roads.
4. Should fit into the home garage.
5. Safety (ABS/Airbags)
6. Fit and finish

Last edited by blackasta : 9th September 2009 at 11:10.
Old 9th September 2009, 11:10   #48
BHPian

My top 10 criteria for a given budget would be;
  1. Reliability
  2. Safety features
  3. Ride and Handling
  4. Fit and Finish, Interior space
  5. Brand
  6. Cost of spares
  7. Good A.S.S
  8. Features.
  9. Fuel efficiency
  10. Re-sale value
Old 18th July 2018, 08:48   #49
BHPian

How important is the spec sheet/feature list when you’re looking to buy a new car?

When I was in the market to buy a new car last year, little did I know that I would have a problem of being spoilt for choice, and this was partly because I was blessed enough to leave open a wide budget bracket. I looked for and at everything from the cheapest Maruti to the most expensive variant of the 5 series, and at one stage, the option of ventilated seats was a deal-breaker! Of course, better sense prevailed, and ultimately, it all boiled down to whether the purchase was VFM. But then, in hindsight, it appears I was enamoured by the spec sheet of each car, and perhaps by the feature-list of each variant, too. Ultimately, the whole car’s appeal had to be greater than the sum of its feature list/spec sheet, at least for me, and the sense of security and comfort while driving the car far outweighed everything else, but I am aware that this need not be the mentality of every car buyer out there. Heck, even I am guilty of this, to an extent: I knew I wasn’t keen on getting a Toyota simply because their infotainment units aren’t contemporary enough, what with not supporting Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Similarly, I also knew that I wouldn’t go for a car whose power output was anything less than 150 BHP, although in the back of my mind I knew these numbers mattered little in the long run.

It wouldn’t be amiss to throw in an analogy here: how many of us care about the spec numbers while looking to buy a new phone? Sure, iOS users might not get much to choose from in terms of specs, but for Android lovers, don’t you just love gushing over the specs of each new phone release, with one vying for the top honours over the other? You could argue that its an apples to oranges comparison, but the point is, aren’t we all guilty of being wooed by a lengthy, complicated spec-sheet and feature list of each variant of each car, when we are looking to buy one?

Mods: I made a quick search to see if a similar poll has been conducted recently, and didn’t find anything. Apologies if this has been already done, and feel free to modify the poll/thread accordingly. Thank you. EDIT: I did find a really old poll which is still open, but it looks like there’s been no activity in there for years now. Feel free to merge this, if need be.

Last edited by gk1234 : 18th July 2018 at 09:05. Reason: Note to moderators.
gk1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 09:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

re: How important is the spec sheet/feature list when you’re looking to buy a new car?

Speaking for myself I look for a car that meets my needs wrt driving comfort and safety -

1. Seats with adjustable height and good lumbar, neck and under thigh support, good driving posture

2. A peppy engine

3. Airbags and ABS

4. Climate control aircon

And then these other non negotiable set of features. If any of these below are missing I add them using 3rd party alternatives (aka Aliexpress), and if any from the 4 above are missing I just don’t buy the car.

1. Bluetooth + touchscreen stereo and reverse camera

2. C pillar to C pillar coverage irvm (only Aliexpress)

3. Memory foam back and neck pillows

4. A leather wrapped steering wheel for comfort

5. CR70 sun film
Old 18th July 2018, 12:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

re: How important is the spec sheet/feature list when you’re looking to buy a new car?

Voted for No. But I do not find the reason I wanted.

I will look at the specification sheet only to decide the variant of the car. Not to decide the car by it self (Brand). What I mean is,

For me, the deciding factors for purchase of a car (Brand)is, Ride Quality, Driving Comfort, Serviceability and Maintenability, Engine Quality, Seating capacity, Fuel Efficiency, Resale value, Fuel Type ,etc. Most of these are Qualitative. Not leaving what Heart says.

After deciding the brand, to decide the variant (Say, LD, VD, 4*4 or 4*2) , will look at specification sheet + price.
Old 18th July 2018, 12:26   #52
Senior - BHPian

Since my family is on the lookout for a new car and I have been testing loads of them out there, my primary requirements for recommending a car for my family has become mainly 3 things:
Good Drivetrain - power ought to be more than just 'adequate'and gear ratios ought to be well matched
Decent ergonomics - seat comfort, ingress/egress, nothing like dash fouling with your knee etc.
Good build quality - chassis flex ought to be minimal as our cars are used for years and years
Old 18th July 2018, 12:45   #53
BHPian

Having just crossed 40, with aging parents on both sides, what I expect from my car, is heavily influenced by the needs of my immediate extended family. It is difficult to expect one single car to deliver all your requirements to the T, and so 2 cars are required to cover all my needs. However, my primary car should at least have the below mentioned:

Tech specs:
1. Powerful engine, by which I mean a good power to weight ratio and good low end torque.

2. Ability to cruise long distances.

3. Should be a diesel.

4. Ability to cruise at say around 120 kmph at a reasonably low rpm.

5. Good suspension, handling and comfortable for my passengers.

6. Should be reasonably fun to drive.

7. Should be able to go anywhere and also get back. Not necessarily off roading. Therefore a good ground clearance and rugged suspension should suffice. Shouldn't fall apart at the sight of bad roads.

8. A tough and reliable car. Not a poser with pseudo fittings to just look the part.

9. Should be a safe car, with at least airbags and ABS.

10. Preferably a manual. But now having gotten used to an Auto, this is no longer a top priority.

11. Large tyres with at least 16 inch wheels, and tyre profile not less than 60.

12. Good lights or at least something that can be sorted out later.

13. Styling should not go overboard. I prefer boxy styling to rounded or sharp edges. Not too much chrome or unnecessary bling.

Important features:
1. Should be able to seat 7 for short distances.

2. Ample luggage space.

3. Should have inbuilt navigation. Don't like sticking phones on the windshield.

4. Reverse camera is a must, so that I don't run into children.

5. A good factory fitted music system and speakers. Not much of a music guy and I don't need a Bose or B&O.

6. Air-conditioning for all rows.

7. Dark or all black interiors.

These are more or less my basic requirements. If the car really appeals to me, I may compromise on 1 or 2 of the above mentioned.
Old 18th July 2018, 12:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Major aspect for us is the driving part. If the car is good to drive, other shortcomings except for the safety front are tolerated. After all, the car is not just a tool for point A to B commute for most of us. If that were the case, we'd be happy with a CNG WagonR, and saved some money as well.

Most features are good to have, and not a must have unless the buyer has certain specific requirements. In my home, since the cars are kept for a while, the car is selected such that even say 5 years down the line, it won't be a bore. If I have the extra cash, I'd rather spend it on a car with a bigger engine than the one with a touchscreen.

Last edited by blackwasp : 18th July 2018 at 12:47.
Old 18th July 2018, 12:53   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Having just crossed 40, with aging parents on both sides, what I expect from my car, is heavily influenced by the needs of my immediate extended family. It is difficult to expect one single car to deliver all your requirements to the T, and so 2 cars are required to cover all my needs. However, my primary car should at least have the below mentioned:
I picked a top end Scorpio for precisely all those reasons - I'm 41. I had to add a reverse camera though - with a XUV 5OO even that wouldn't have been needed. Give it a try.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 14:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I picked a top end Scorpio for precisely all those reasons - I'm 41. I had to add a reverse camera though - with a XUV 5OO even that wouldn't have been needed. Give it a try.
Thanks hserus. I had an 8 seater Scorpio earlier which was one of the first Crde versions to be sold in Mumbai then. I don't like the way the XUV looks and the interiors are not to my liking, although, I personally feel that the engine is superb.

I have an Endy 3.2 as my primary car now, and a Brio for city use. The Endy covers all my technical requirements. Only wish it was slightly more frugal.

On the features front, I wish it had full black interiors and in-built navigation. However, I have gotten over the latter with another contraption. I have posted a review of this on the dvr thread, if you are interested.
Old 18th July 2018, 14:19   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
On the features front, I wish it had full black interiors and in-built navigation. However, I have gotten over the latter with another contraption. I have posted a review of this on the dvr thread, if you are interested.
That is a mega thread so please share the specific post link here. Thanks

And the 2014 onwards Scorpios are streets ahead of the old CRDE as you can see Not perfect but meets my needs and is a lot more flexible in tight spots and narrow roads than the Endy or Fortuner, if you can ever call a 2 ton vehicle flexible.
Old 18th July 2018, 15:00   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That is a mega thread so please share the specific post link here. Thanks

And the 2014 onwards Scorpios are streets ahead of the old CRDE as you can see Not perfect but meets my needs and is a lot more flexible in tight spots and narrow roads than the Endy or Fortuner, if you can ever call a 2 ton vehicle flexible.
Here is the link.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ml#post4412313

I would prefer the new Scorpio any day over the XUV. And with 140 bhp, the new Scorpio must be a hoot to drive. Even the 116 bhp engine on the Scorpio I had was really nice to drive. I am sure the handling and braking is far more sorted now.

The Endy is not all that difficult to park or manoeuvre in a relatively smaller city like Coimbatore except may be in some core areas. I use the Brio if I know I have to go to such places.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 15:50   #59
Senior - BHPian

Ah. The Endy aka Everest elsewhere so try something like this.

RoverOne S200 Android 8.0 Car Multimedia Player For Ford Ranger Everest 2015 2016 2017 Autoradio DVD Radio Stereo GPS Navigation
http://s.aliexpress.com/73EviMNn
Old 18th July 2018, 16:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Spec is most important when I decide to purchase a new car.
A car should have a/c, power steering and power windows
Seriously, this is like "bride seeing" in an arranged marriage.
I've seen friends going with 100 item check lists, only to settle with someone who ticks only 2 or 3 items in the list

Last edited by jinojohnt : 18th July 2018 at 16:14.
jinojohnt is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed