Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2004, 17:16   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ Nov. 03 2004,16:28)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ Nov. 03 2004,15:54)]Consequently people would not buy the 1.6 and any snob value of the fully loaded 1.8 would disappear leaving GM with no buyers for either model.
and poor Rudra will be penniless
I agree with retech and Ajmat I'm always penniless. It has nothing to do with Optra's price.

By the way what about M3X, the next generation Matiz with 1.1/1.2 engine? This, I believe was displayed in Paris motor show. But of course, as a concept car.
Old 4th November 2004, 17:30   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]so do ford / hyundai / honda ..manufacture cars for 2.5 L
Which Honda sells for 5 lacs?

And yes, Also counter depreciation into the picture. Depreciation of equipment that is. The Ford Ikon is more than half a decade old, while the Optra started rolling off the assembly only a year back.

GTO
Old 4th November 2004, 18:31   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Nov. 04 2004,15:00)]And yes, Also counter depreciation into the picture. Depreciation of equipment that is. The Ford Ikon is more than half a decade old, while the Optra started rolling off the assembly only a year back.

GTO
Well some bits of the Ikon originate from the 1998 Fiesta which was revamped in 1995. As for the Optra, engine has been evolved from the late 90's
Old 26th June 2005, 20:05   #19
BHPian

Does optra 1.6 LS has good performance? fun to drive or no?
will it give mileage around 10 kmpl?
Old 26th June 2005, 22:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by readonly
Does optra 1.6 LS has good performance? fun to drive or no?
will it give mileage around 10 kmpl?
Optra 1.6 has a decnt performance nothing to really complain about ... ITs fun to drive .. very confortable and has a solid feel to it ... The takes on the Indian roads like it was built for it ... and yes it give a average of 10kmpl in city and 12 on highway .. These are the figures that i get in Pune...
Old 27th June 2005, 02:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The Ford Ikon is more than half a decade old, while the Optra started rolling off the assembly only a year back.

GTO
I dont think it makes sense to sell the Optra 1.6 at 5-6 lakhs, but would like to stress that the Optra has been around for > half a decade as well (as the Daewoo Nubira) it wouldnt therefore be right to treat it as a 'brand new' car just because GM rebadged it and changed the design of the grille, lamps and fenders.
Old 27th June 2005, 09:04   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
but would like to stress that the Optra has been around for > half a decade as well (as the Daewoo Nubira) .

correction, the Optra is all new except for some of the mechanical components. It was known as the Nubira for the past year or so but is not a nip and tuck of the older Nubira's
Old 27th June 2005, 11:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Almost 50% of the new car price tag that you pay goes toward taxes....at a 5 lac Optra, they would have to be able to make the car for 2.5 lacs. Possible?
GTO
GTO..

Can you please elaborate on this?

Thanks.
Old 27th June 2005, 12:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
GTO..

Can you please elaborate on this?

Thanks.
I guess what GTO is trying to say is that if you want to sell a car at 5 lakhs, you would have to manufacture it at 2.5 because 50% of the selling price is tax.
Old 27th June 2005, 12:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
correction, the Optra is all new except for some of the mechanical components. It was known as the Nubira for the past year or so but is not a nip and tuck of the older Nubira's
I really doubt this, because if you put a Nubira and an Optra side by side you can see where it came from. The 1.6 motor is also 'developed' from the Daewoo engine (which probably means Daewoo logo taken off and Chevy slapped on).

Ditto with the other Chevy models - the Epica is nothing but a Daewoo Legenza with new fenders, lights and stuff. The Kalos (or is it Lanos) comes badged as the Aveo.

The Optra is NOT an all new car. Check out these links:

http://www.baileycar.com/optra.html

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...500103,00.html

Closer home:

http://www.indiacar.com/roadtest/optra_a/design.htm

http://www.indiacar.com/roadtest/optra_a/

And to quote Business Standard Motors (Or BSM, one or my favourites):

Am I a Chevrolet?

The Daewoo Nubira was not a bad car to begin with. It was designed in Europe and built at Kunsan, one of the best automotive facilities anywhere in the world. I remember thrashing it over a test track somewhere in Korea on a sunny day, sometime in 1997, and let me tell you it changed my database on how South Koreans approached cars. And if things had gone well for the chaebol, the car you see on this page would have been the all-new Nubira and in all probability, it would have been launched in India wearing the Daewoo badge. After General Motors took over the beleaguered car maker, they made sure the new car development programmes continued and also pitched in with their economical and engineering might. The Nubira along with the Kalos hatchback are one of the first products to come out of this effort and they have already put Daewoo back on the road in some parts of the world. For other parts, GM is offering the same car in different guises – while it will wear a Chevrolet Optra badge in India, it is the Suzuki Verona in the US markets and so on. All these mean two things – it does not have the genes of a Chevrolet Corvette but it ain’t no ghost of Daewoo either.

(Source: http://www.bsmotoring.com/2003/jul12_1.htm)

The last sentence is what I disagree with "All these mean two things – it does not have the genes of a Chevrolet Corvette but it ain’t no ghost of Daewoo either."

If you've driven the Nubira and the Optra (as I have) you will realise that there is very little difference except better cosmetics.

And finally some pictures of the Daewoo Nubira:

http://www.bsmotoring.com/2001/01mar17_6.htm

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th June 2005 at 13:15.
Old 27th June 2005, 15:12   #26
sAP
BHPian

Chevy Optra or Suzuki Forenza?

Here is a link for the Suzuki Forenza, sold in the US. http://www.suzukiauto.com/sr_05/forenza/ , starts at $11,949 retail. Has a rather striking (!!) similarity with the Chevy Optra sold in India, don't u think?

sap
Old 27th June 2005, 15:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP
Here is a link for the Suzuki Forenza, sold in the US. http://www.suzukiauto.com/sr_05/forenza/ , starts at $11,949 retail. Has a rather striking (!!) similarity with the Chevy Optra sold in India, don't u think?

sap
Same Daewoo, sold as Suzuki and Chevy in diff markets.
Old 28th June 2005, 03:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP

sap
The reason being GM has some 20% stake in Suzuki.

There were some 2004 Forenza's for sale in US a couple of months ago. $ 11000k drive out. Bad part was very poor resale. No one recognizes Suzuki here in the US.
Old 25th August 2005, 19:51   #29

Hi all,

I am new to Team-BHP.I am planning to buy a Optra 1.6 Base. I am a little confused which colour to choose..caught between Crystal Mica, Blazing red and silver. Any suggestions/help......
I was also initially wondering whether my choice is right, but after reading the posts on thsis ite, feel much better )
Old 25th August 2005, 20:19   #30
BHPian

Go for Blazing Red.. Optra looks really neat in Red, stands out from the crowd..

Most Viewed