Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 20:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Its interesting how everyone is getting excited about this. I was driven around in a Scorpio AT at the Delhi Auto Expo this year. Not only was it an AT, it was a hybrid. I had posted this on some Mahindra thread at the time.

Here is the post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...o-hit-mkt.html

Note from moderator: Kindly take advantage of EDIT facility provided by Team-BHP

Last edited by adya33 : 4th April 2008 at 20:21.
Old 5th April 2008, 10:55   #32
BHPian

those are alloys the black u see is the brake drum,auto trany
wow the vlx costs 11.2 lakhs on road if they can launch this auto with electric side mirrors and 140 bhp for 12lakhs with option of airbags and leather interior costing around 13 lakhs then i will be the first in line to buy it
Old 5th April 2008, 12:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

So does this mean that the auto will be for the US market alone and not for India.Thats a sad news but we can hope it would be here soon.
ram
Old 5th April 2008, 14:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
those are alloys the black u see is the brake drum
Really?? I didn't realise that the Scorpio needed brake drums as big as the wheel & with holes in them.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra to develop an automatic transmission for Scorpio EDIT: Pictures on Page 2-wheelcap.jpg  

Old 5th April 2008, 17:15   #35
BHPian

you are right they are wheel caps i was browsing this thread in the OPD on a 15 inch screen so coudnt make out the details
Old 6th April 2008, 13:35   #36
BHPian

It would be interesting to see , if mahindra up the power of the engine in the automatic version of the scorpio from current 120 bhp to 140 bhp, especially as mahindra is eyeing auto tranny for us market where power out put does matter.
As everybody knows mahindra detuned the engine from its potential 140 bhp to 120bhp , not just for driveability but also for the fact that the current transmission is not up to the task.
Old 6th April 2008, 23:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
It would be interesting to see , if mahindra up the power of the engine in the automatic version of the scorpio from current 120 bhp to 140 bhp, especially as mahindra is eyeing auto tranny for us market where power out put does matter.
As everybody knows mahindra detuned the engine from its potential 140 bhp to 120bhp , not just for driveability but also for the fact that the current transmission is not up to the task.
GV-USA, the importer for the Scorpio and pickup variants, says the US version of the engine will put out 150 bhp and 300 lb-ft (400 Nm) torque, with a 6-speed manual or 6-speed auto, so it makes sense.
Old 7th April 2008, 12:20   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Those are alloys! One thing though, I guess they should consider the tailgate mounted spare for the Scorp, which they displayed for the hybrid (although in its case the spare had to move there to accomodate the hardware for the hybrid). It might be more inconvenient but really increases appeal.
Tail gate mounted spare will further spoil the CG - which is already higher in Scorpio and convenience wise , I like under the body spare tyre like Sumo, Innova. It also helps in reducing the weight and rattle of the rear door. From practicality point of view , current position is more convenient. Aesthetically, how would it look on a scorpio - no comments.
Old 7th April 2008, 12:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Its interesting how everyone is getting excited about this. I was driven around in a Scorpio AT at the Delhi Auto Expo this year. Not only was it an AT, it was a hybrid. I had posted this on some Mahindra thread at the time.

Here is the post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...o-hit-mkt.html

Note from moderator: Kindly take advantage of EDIT facility provided by Team-BHP
Do you have any further update on the likely launch and specs for this. How was the spec of the car ( torque and power) that you drove in Auto expo and ride quality. Was auto box jerky or smooth.

Overall, is it worth waiting for compared to a Safari( manual) given 50% advantage to auto tranny. In case, the other specs are horrible like jerky tranny and no improvement in seat comfort wise , it will be still a tough call between Safari and scorpio- depsite auto tranny. If it was developed for foreign market then, I guess they have to offer ABS and airbags too.

In anycase, I feel cruise control is a feature which is designed / planned for an auto tranny which got carried over in VLX may be because their gear box was not ready then.
Old 7th April 2008, 15:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Do you have any further update on the likely launch and specs for this. How was the spec of the car ( torque and power) that you drove in Auto expo and ride quality. Was auto box jerky or smooth.

Overall, is it worth waiting for compared to a Safari( manual) given 50% advantage to auto tranny. In case, the other specs are horrible like jerky tranny and no improvement in seat comfort wise , it will be still a tough call between Safari and scorpio- depsite auto tranny. If it was developed for foreign market then, I guess they have to offer ABS and airbags too.

In anycase, I feel cruise control is a feature which is designed / planned for an auto tranny which got carried over in VLX may be because their gear box was not ready then.
Shatrughna, some of these answers are in the link I provided. I didn't get a feel of the car on an open road. It was driven inside Pragati Maidan where the Auto Expo was taking place. At those speeds one really didn't get a sense of the gear shifts. Heck, it probably didn't even change gears. The car I was driven was a test mule so it's probably not wise to draw conclusions from it.
Old 12th April 2008, 06:17   #41
BHPian

i too was driven around in an a/t scorpio vlx during the auto expo,thanks to a journalist friend of mine.the driver said they bought it to delhi in a transport truck from mumbai wit the odo showing some 600 odd kms,had a chance to open it up on the noida expressway,0-100kmph was a breeze even though it was an automatic.the tranmission was smooth enough whilst shifting,it tackled delhi traffic very effectively during the day...the driver didnt give much details about the mileage and stuff..found the suspension set up to be on the stiffer side there was a noticeable thud whenever it went through pot holes and one could feel the bump.steering felt fine at low speeds but felt very funny at high speeds very little feedback,the cabin felt good and the engine noise did creep in the cabin but it wasn't tht loud,cabin felt decently insulated! there was some very electronic buzzy sound from the gear tunnel at idle dont know wt was tht,was persistent for the 2 days we drove around in it....and you were subjected to some kind of electric shock whenever you touched the area around the gear lever the mettalic part i mean,the driver had no clue why was tht so!the test vehicle we drove around didnt give any problems as such.should be a good vehicle to drive around in a crowded city like mumbai.

Last edited by koolsun216 : 12th April 2008 at 06:29.
Old 12th April 2008, 09:51   #42
BHPian

Waiting For Toyota To Launch Something Similar .......With An Automatic......A Mahindra Is Always a Mahindra , it's gonna be crappy in some way, they always manage to do that.Moreover I Wouldn't bet my Hard earned 13 Lakh Doughs on a Mahindra.......
Old 13th April 2008, 10:48   #43
BHPian

Bad,very bad.Automatic transmissions take away the pleasure and fun of motoring.Offcourse,it can be so on puny cars.But Scorpio........such monsters are made only for men who like to drive according to his own whims and notions..
Old 13th April 2008, 12:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

Ah, the pleasure of downshifting and overtaking a speeding Skoda on the highway shall be lost for ever...
Old 13th April 2008, 13:19   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
Bad,very bad.Automatic transmissions take away the pleasure and fun of motoring.Offcourse,it can be so on puny cars.But Scorpio........such monsters are made only for men who like to drive according to his own whims and notions..
I cant believe that so many people really and truly think this.

Most Viewed