Take it to another country and use it there 10 13.16%
Detune it so that it can run on 93 Oct 6 7.89%
Get rid of it 25 32.89%
Ask BPCL to make 97 Oct available to the public and pay for it. 35 46.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: What should Sachin do with his Ferrari? EDIT : He sold it!

I am not at all a fan of game of cricket. But whatever little respect I had for sachin was gone when I learnt about his request to waiver Customs duty on his Ferrari. Shouldn't he have been glad that he got a free car? On top of it, he asks for duty-free import. And now, this free fuel thing. I didn't know until now that he enjoyed free fuel. And then this, that he sold off his gift. Wow, what can I say! We have heard about some Wall Street execs who feel guilty about their annual pay and bonuses. Wonder if Sachin ever does. Even one bit.
Old 23rd June 2011, 18:01   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar
I am not at all a fan of game of cricket. But whatever little respect I had for sachin was gone when I learnt about his request to waiver Customs duty on his Ferrari. Shouldn't he have been glad that he got a free car? On top of it, he asks for duty-free import. And now, this free fuel thing. I didn't know until now that he enjoyed free fuel. And then this, that he sold off his gift. Wow, what can I say! We have heard about some Wall Street execs who feel guilty about their annual pay and bonuses. Wonder if Sachin ever does. Even one bit.
First of all, Ferrari was gifted by Fiat and it is clear that he was brand ambassador of Fiat India. It is very much possible that he got Ferrari in form of gift instead of cash compensation. If that is the case, he has every right to sell the car. I understand the duty part was a wrong example but selling is Ferrari, not at all wrong.
Old 23rd June 2011, 18:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quite possible that the car and the fuel are part of his endorsement deals.

Anyway, it's time to move on with his new Nissan GT-R Egoist !!! Nice car !
Old 23rd June 2011, 18:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

That Ferrari has been for sale since maybe a year? Definitley since quite a while.
It may have been the best thing to do after he had to abandon the car very late in the night while returning from a hill station wedding and accept a ride home with strangers. The car had an electrical fault and it was rectified. But rarely used thereafter. This is what I have heard from reliable sources.

Cheers harit
Old 23rd June 2011, 19:07   #35
BHPian

An electrical fault that has been rectified - does this lead to a person having to sell his car - that too a marqee like Ferrari. Well Sachin can do it and has done it. Check this report also
Surat businessman buys Tendulkar's Ferrari - Rediff.com Sports
Old 23rd June 2011, 22:55   #36
BHPian

convert it to CNG. That will solve the fuel issues and he'll have a smile on his face when people ask him mileage kya deta hai
Old 24th June 2011, 00:13   #37
BHPian

another victim of poor A.S.S. may be.

It would have been ok [just ok], had he gifted the Ferrari but Selling a gift...nah. I wouldn't have done it. (May be thats why no one gifts me a Ferrari)
Old 24th June 2011, 00:50   #38
BHPian

I think perhaps a bit harsh on Sachin, the Ferrari was probably part of the endorsement deal, but the customs fiasco displayed lack of judgement given his wealth and stature among the cricket loving public.

The free fuel thing is probably part of another endorsement deal or maybe Sachin may have made an inquiry about availability with some senior functionary given his access to such folks and an over eager fan in BP offered to get it for him, could be anything so best to reserve judgement.

If you were Sachin and you need 100 octane fuel you would probably do the same. As auto lovers we would like to experience the car at its best and if we can we will go the extra distance to get what is required, this applies to most of the members here and applies to Sachin. It could be part of an endorsement or some other quid pro pro.

Now selling it I think once a car lets you down one becomes always nervous and given Sachin is always mobbed its even more inconvenient for him to stranded without security. For a celebrity like him privacy becomes very rare and important. Crowds can lose it very easily.
Old 25th June 2011, 16:21   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What should Sachin do with his Ferrari? EDIT : He sold it!

Thread re-opened. Well, atleast Gujarat has the highways for this car .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 00:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Just because sachin got this for free, it does not mean he has to keep it forever. But instead of selling this car which was a gift, sachin could have probably auctioned it off and then ensured that the sale benefits went to some charity or a cricket academy or whatever. He has enough money and I dont think this deal would have hurt him so much.
Anyways, I guess he has already moved on and bought a Nissan GT-R. But he has sort of done some damage to his reputation.He could have bettered it. He had a chance.
And may be I should have been his P.R
Old 26th June 2011, 23:54   #41
BANNED

I doubt Sachin cares two hoots for what others, especially guys on TBHP thinks. You guys can rant, but he has the final laugh.
Old 27th June 2011, 08:38   #42
Team-BHP Support

1: Whether the "gift" is a gift or a tax evasive deal, it is his car and he is free to do what he wants

2: Customs exemption was in bad taste considering his earnings and fact that car was possibly part of an endorsement deal. Ravi Shastri deserved his Audi and it was purely won based on merit in a competition open to all.

3: If someone gifts you a bright pink sweater, would you keep it? Similarly, if the King of Siam wanted to harass or do a disfavour, he would gift a white elephant to the person. It was a sacred gift and the person would need to maintain it!
Old 27th June 2011, 08:54   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Heard in the news that Sachin replaced the Ferrari with the Godzilla(Nissan Gt-R)
Anyway congrats on his new purchase.
Old 27th June 2011, 09:03   #44
BHPian

Double that. Now, he has the 530BHP, 612Nm of Torque and 0-100 in (ridiculous) 3 seconds Nissan GT-R 530 aka Godzilla.
Good choice, indeed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks