Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which MUV would you buy? - Scorpio OR Qualis OR Tavera OR...
Mahindra Scorpio 34 53.13%
Chevrolet Tavera 14 21.88%
Toyota Qualis 13 20.31%
Tata Sumo Turbo 3 4.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2004, 00:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

guys!
my cousin got his tavera today, hyd's first one, golden colour, it's the second highest version

from some angles looked like an imported suv

overall liked it, wet for a small drive didnt drive it, it cooled nicely, cabin spacious and functional
overall he is very happy with it,
but i found the wheels and tyres to be too puny
Old 25th June 2004, 18:28   #17
BHPian

Hello,
Scorpio is definitely the best SUV for indian roads and mated with the price tag. But lacks refinement in handling. At higher speeds 90-100 kmph the steering starts to feel numb.
Qualis is the best that the average indian TAXI driver could get.
Tavera, looks like a car/van/MUV. Definitely not a SUV. I test drove it recently. High speed handling is best in all. suspension is soft even when lightly loaded. seating is comfy. Loads of legroom and good aircon. Power/torque is adequate for indian roads but not in same league as scorpio. Engine noise can be distictly heard at all revs. Dashboard slightly dated and looks tacky.
Overall i think the existing qualis will have to replaced with a Kijang if Toyota has to stay in race.
-Chaxy
Old 25th June 2004, 22:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

No Doubt, for me MAHINDRA SCORPIO..TC Diesel.

Secondly.. these days...all companies.. mix up... the body styles... i dont know wat to call the Tavera and the Qualis.. and MPV or an MUV.!
Old 28th June 2004, 00:57   #19
Team-BHP Support

considering the market in which most of the above-mentioned MUVs usually operate in- i.e. the private taxi business, (maybe, except for the scorpio and the qualis which do find private buyers) i don't think i'd go in for any of them.
i see them as death-traps offered at attractive prices, driven by (mostly young) in-experienced drivers - fresh from the village who've just got their first sense of 'power' by graduating from a bullock-cart or a bicycle.
i feel they should be banned and the scrap yard is the only place for these chunks of metal boxes on wheels.

offtopic: infact, i think tata motors should be sued for making such horrible pieces of junk like the tata sumo and causing the deaths of thousands on the highways.
maybe a training school should be made mandatory for the drivers of these things.
Old 29th June 2004, 15:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aah78 @ June 27 2004,23:27)]offtopic: infact, i think tata motors should be sued for making such horrible pieces of junk like the tata sumo and causing the deaths of thousands on the highways.
Well pal.. there is something called human error..there is no use criticising the vehicle... if humans start driving like maniacs.. ofcourse ..accidents will happen!.and talking abt the Sumo, Spacio.. well they were made so that people like villagers, transport agents can also afford them.
By the way? U r talking abt sueing the manufacturer...Will u sue Ferrari for making fast cars?

Old 26th July 2004, 16:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

well,

i chose the tavera. becoz i found it better to handle than the scorpio.

but i chose it becoz the choice had to be between the specified ones...else i wud have picked [/b]the safari[b]

cheers
Old 28th July 2004, 12:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

At present I would go for Tavera but I am waiting for the new Qualis(Innova) to be launched in Feb 05, looks great and will be the best in class.
Old 2nd November 2004, 20:54   #23
BHPian

i agree with u gto the engine is gr88 the looks are better yahn all those muvs and its and its an all indian effort,the handling needs to be sorted but the tavera and qualis are no ferarris,overall scorpio rocks
Old 3rd November 2004, 01:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

definitly Sumo is a BIG NO NO..... most of the highway accidents reported in newspapers involve the SUMO...

DCE RULEZ!

Old 6th November 2004, 05:24   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Stratos @ June 29 2004,13:40)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aah78 @ June 27 2004,23:27)]offtopic: infact, i think tata motors should be sued for making such horrible pieces of junk like the tata sumo and causing the deaths of thousands on the highways.
Well pal.. there is something called human error..there is no use criticising the vehicle... if humans start driving like maniacs.. ofcourse ..accidents will happen!.and talking abt the Sumo, Spacio.. well they were made so that people like *villagers, transport agents can also afford them.
By the way? U r talking abt sueing the manufacturer...Will u sue Ferrari for making fast cars?
scorpion king rulez . . . .
reasons ( there are definately more than three )
it looks far better than any of the above options n loses ground to some extent only to our 1998 launched safari (talkin abt the same price bracket ) .
the qualis looks like a boX on wheels , AND dat too small ones . . . fine the engine must be good n all , but there s definately sumthin called looks and character , u just dnt go sleep with a 100 kg charcoal black 3 ft woman jus coz she cud possibly be gud in bed . . . . come on toyota jus get the innova soon . . u owe Us big time . . .
tata has all my respect , so dus mr. ratan tata ( he s my idol ) but sir i m sorry to say that the sumo aint an urban vehicle but its doin well in the market its targeted at .
n finally v cme to the tavera . . . . i booked my car ( scorpio ) the day they displayed it in the mahalakshmi showroom n realised it wasnt worth delaying my car . . . the chevy guys have got everything mixed up . . . . cud do far better . . .
guess only the dual colour versions look presentable . . . n watt was chevy gm thinkin when they didnt give ny seating options for the lower models , did they have extra seats supplied free of cost that they fixed the no. of seats to be 10 n make every car of the lower models look like a mini tempo ( i m sure there r ppl who utilise all 10 , but still . . . )

safari shud have been included in this poll . . . . . . .

manson .

p.s. stratos XTREMELY WELL SAID .
Old 6th November 2004, 15:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

I would go for Qualis, but not the current model. Toyota is going to launch a newer model of qualis, whose front is somewhat similar to that of nhc.
Scorpio looks a bit unwieldy to me. Sumo Turbo, though great engine under the hood, still makes one look like a taxi driver sitting in a truck.
Tavera hasnt really been thoroughly tested on the indian roads.
And yeah, Safari should have been included in the list. What about Versa?
Old 9th November 2004, 00:46   #27
BHPian

If i were to make a choice between these 4 - it would be a tossup between the qualis and the Scorpio. The qualis has a great engine and is damn maneuverable and stuff... but the scorpio looks awesome.. although the rear end is pretty shabby. And i havent driven one myself but from what i have read on these forums it isnt the best behaved at high speeds. So would probably go for a qualis. Ugly yes.. but nice vehicle.
Old 9th November 2004, 18:32   #28
bhp
BHPian

the scorpio wins on the looks it gives an suv feeling but qualis has a better engine .it can be easily zipped in the city , the clutch and the steering wheel are to really die for

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks