Team-BHP - How is the Scorpio GLX?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   How is the Scorpio GLX? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2860-how-scorpio-glx.html)

Has anyone driven the scorpio glx?

I am keen to hear some opinions of the car.
Why dont team-bhp test drive the scorpio glx?

Hi there,
i just test drove the GLX today again,
i like the steering, i like the manouvering capabilities, i like the feel sitting so high (like the estate),
the brakes could be a bit better,
and although mahindra claims the jeep will not topple over but frankly whike driving you sometimes do feel that it is not true,
i am plannign to purchase the GLX but i am a bit worried about the age old Diesel indian made vehicle issues like engine heating, pollution, and small leaks and all those funny little issues that rise within 6 months,
the mahindra guys say that it is recommended to have the brake shoes changed in the first service itself for the scorpio,

if any one owns a scorpio do let us know if you have faced any troubles with it,

Vin

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Vin @ July 13 2004,17:52)]....... but i am a bit worried about the age old Diesel indian made vehicle issues like engine heating, pollution, and small leaks and all those funny little issues that rise within 6 months,
the mahindra guys say that it is recommended to have the brake shoes changed in the first service itself for the scorpio.....

Scorpio's Diesel engine is not bad... and.. will not die.. so soon. Provided it is runin properly (this is true for any engine)... and driven with some respect!!

Brakes in first service.... * * BUT Y?

SLK,
do you know anyone who owns a Scorpio,
the thing is i dont want to respect the engine,
im buying it for offroading,
so i want to really screw it up,
so how much is the scorpio ready to take and will the engine start giving me hell before it touches the 3rd month, or the first 5k km line,

i hope someone has been driving it around here and share some experience

I would say wait till M&M sort out the handling and brake problems.

I know the Scorpio sounds like a great deal, and a great engine too. But if you are really looking to buy one, don't forget that it's one of the worst handlers around at high speeds and it's not crash tested. Not something worth regretting later.

i have driven the scorpio to pune , lonavala and in mumbai as well.

the engine, interiors are absolutely gr8 and its pretty silent for a diesel. but the feeling of toppling over anytime u touch 90 kmph is all prevalent . i cudnt get myself to over 100 kmph on the expressway.

the steering is soft and lite , a boon in the city not so much on the highway where i got some vague feedbacks.

the positives - powerful and silent engine , silent , gr8 interiors
, lite and soft steering a boon in the city

the negatives - the suspension and handling suck big time u just cant shake off the feeling that it mite roll over , the steering at high speeds feels vague.

the scorpio is definetly a automobile that has more +s but keep in mind that u cant go over 100 kmph. that is a waste of a very powerful engine.

cheers

ps- i have seen the guys who drive the scorpio all drive like hooligans ....im dying to ask them how???

For off roading Vin nothing beats the good old Mahindra CJ . You can take that just about anywhere...

Source a pre owned one for hardcore off roading fun

Dippy

Hi Folks,
Thought id let u know,
i bought the Scorpio GLX ,
took delivery last friday and i must say the mahindra folks need to polish their service standards,
there was some big hotshot guy there wanting to buy another glx and he managed to take a quick deliver .....
WITH A GUN

literally the guy had a security gaurd with a machine gun and had grabbed the manager by collar and threatened to shoot him if he didnt get delivery that day

lets get back to the jeep,
i think the GLX BLACK is the best looking scorpio model since it has body coloured bumpers and not the stupid grey plastic ones,
interiors are pretty basic, poor quality shows in many places but still u can expect it from mahindra,
i took a co reg so i got a 7 seater model which i think is better in many ways,
u get space for that woofer and amp

One thing you have to give the scorpio credit for is On Road presence,
in delhi one big problem factor is rikshaws, autos, scooters,cycles with the mahindra i didnt have much problems, one blare of the horn was sufficient,

one interesting thing that happened was i was at a traffic signal and one baleno stopped next to me,it was a prof driver, these mothers drive really reckless when alone,
when the signal turned yellow i thought lets test the scorpio now( till then i was giving the engine a smooth ride)
i cant say if it was the engine or the road presence but i left that baleno eating my dust ....

all in all i believe its a good jeep considering the price tag,
it does offer you most of the basic benefits including the comfort and feel of a jeep,

im still waiting for my bull bar with fog lights which should really give the jeep a good presence .....

congrats on your new purchase

respected reader,
I am planning to buy a SUV. And i have choices between SCORPIO and SAFARI.

my considerable points with regard to purchase are as follows:-

1. Worth of the amount which is i am paying for buying a vehicle

2. Fuel economy of the both the vehicle as till date i did not get a clear view about the fuel consumption

3. Facilities i am getting if i opt for SCORPIO GLX or SAFARI LX.

4. Resale value of the vehicle.

5. After sale-service of the vehicle

6. which one is good OFF ROAD vehicle

7. Which one has more saftey.

8. And over all value of both the vehicle

hi rajeev
wait till jan if poss,
the new safari willthe 3.0ltr crdi enigne is gonna be launched will will be atleast a 1000 times better than the scorpio
if you want to buy it right now,goin for the scorpio coz the safari wih the old engine will have less of a resale value

Well..its fine about launching the 3 litre Crdi...but i hope they dont keep the same design...thats one car that still comes with frosted unclear headlamps!!! Wonder why?? being much more costlier than other cars that give them!!

For the Scorpio....let me tell u... Mahindra have a really good R&D team...they continuously keep improving their vehicles...which for the Safari...sadly, Tata hasnt done since its birth!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Stratos @ Oct. 30 2004,10:42)]For the Scorpio....let me tell u... Mahindra have a really good R&D team...they continuously keep improving their vehicles...which for the Safari...sadly, Tata hasnt done since its birth!!

surely they are ignoring the handling department then!

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Stratos @ Oct. 30 2004,10:42)]Mahindra have a really good R&D team...they continuously keep improving their vehicles...which for the Safari...sadly, Tata hasnt done since its birth!!

hey dude,

the safari is a much much better vehicle today than the day it was launched....tata are better known for continuous improvements on their products, look at the success of the indica v2.

If u remember...there were problems with the safari gearboxes n engines when it was launched which have now been sorted out...n whole lot of other things as well.

Neways only reason it doesnt sell as well as the scorpio is because of its price, it offers more comfort, space...n definately handles better than the scorpio...price the safari around 6 lakhs n then watch it give the scorpio a run for its money.

In my opinion, the safari is a better vehicle other than its engine...jus waiting for it get the crdi engine.

Drifter