Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 15:50   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

there is an unofficial theory in the marketing circles. if you price something low, people think it is of cheap quality. on the contrary, if u price something high u get better margins and better image/branding. think diamonds :-)
Old 12th September 2007, 16:01   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
As per the sales information, NHC is still doing the same numbers as before SX4.
In any business shouldn't that be taken as a loss of overall market share ? The thousands (overall total) of SX4s, Fiestas, Aveos, Vernas that are selling belong to the same segment. If the overall sales in the segment grows with the City selling the same number of units, it basically means market share has gone down.

It somehow seems to me that Honda is happy selling 3K cars a month. Either that achieves their desired targets or they have production capacity issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
No choice but to wait for competition to bring a correction.
That is already happening. Compare what 10L would have bought you at the turn of the century with what you get today. Also consider that 10L in 2000 was probably worth a lot more than 10L today. Given the features we get, I would say car prices have effectively reduced over time.
Old 12th September 2007, 16:25   #108
BHPian

i think honda is being a bit optimistic but they can afford to because of their image and great fan following.

similar example is of toyota vs honda. where toyota has always maintained steady upward price difference with honda.

for example camry and accord.corolla and civic.

Look at new camry which has got more features (and always had) but new accord is 3.0 v tech so more power more torque but less features than camry.

and they are the biggest competitors in the world.

If toyota jumps in this segment any time soon then honda is in trouble. nice honda sandwich will be served in the market.

More fun and more choice for us then.

Last edited by msharma_79 : 12th September 2007 at 16:28.
Old 12th September 2007, 17:41   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
there is an unofficial theory in the marketing circles. if you price something low, people think it is of cheap quality. on the contrary, if u price something high u get better margins and better image/branding. think diamonds :-)

There are lots of people who believe in the exclusivity or brand value of a product and would rather be associated with it rather that what is perceived as cheap. I just had a discussion with my Boss who is planning to buy the NHC and wanted to know about the new AD from Honda. When I asked him why he wanted to buy the NHC against the SX4, considering the apparent VFM on the SX4, it was the brand value & the image that counted the most (a little extra for Honda chalega) for him. And I guess there are loads of people like him.

Looking at this from a non enthusiast point of view, NHC seems to be a clear winner and that exactly what Honda India is betting on. And no matter how much I try to sell him the SX4 I think he will still end up buying the NHC! (and if people are hellbent on this then whats the problem, its their choice after all?)
Old 12th September 2007, 23:41   #110
BHPian

This is total suicide on Hondas part. There has been a lot of dissonance within the company also regarding this move(trust me i have sources). The japs feel these features are not required in India. Are indian lives worth less than japanese lives? Give people an option at every stage of the model line up
This can come in only by way of legislation. What can you expect from a government that still believes in ambassadors??!!
Old 13th September 2007, 03:06   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanh_hunt View Post
There are lots of people who believe in the exclusivity or brand value of a product and would rather be associated with it rather that what is perceived as cheap. I just had a discussion with my Boss who is planning to buy the NHC and wanted to know about the new AD from Honda. When I asked him why he wanted to buy the NHC against the SX4, considering the apparent VFM on the SX4, it was the brand value & the image that counted the most (a little extra for Honda chalega) for him. And I guess there are loads of people like him.

Looking at this from a non enthusiast point of view, NHC seems to be a clear winner and that exactly what Honda India is betting on. And no matter how much I try to sell him the SX4 I think he will still end up buying the NHC! (and if people are hellbent on this then whats the problem, its their choice after all?)
Honda has to rank inside the top 10 brand names in India. They have invested trillions of man hours in R&D, conducted customer clinics that actually listen to customer needs. As a result they offer some of the cleanest, most efficient cars on the planet. And they out sell the Americans in their own backyard. (read largest vehicle market by a long way).

One cannot help but wonder if the above has made Honda a touch arrogant. Customers love the five letters - H-O-N-D-A, so lets overcharge them and get away with it while we enjoy tax benefits from state governments. Why even bother with diesel while our customers scoop up our 70 bhp offering for sky high prices?? Why offer safety features when our customers are lapping it up even without them??

At first they didnt make diesels because they 'pollute'. Then they make one (and a cracker at that) because everyone and his uncle is selling diesels and making money. Then, they wont bring it to India because the fuel quality isnt good enough (BMW/Merc/Audi sell their diesels in India??...bah!) This from a company that engineered such a brilliant diesel in the first place..

Right, so would I go for a NHC+ABS+Airbags over the SX4 ZXi..? You Betcha! Read: H-O-N-D-A!!
Old 13th September 2007, 08:36   #112
BANNED

Spend more, buy diamonds. You are assured of quality. You shine in them, people notice you, you feel happy. Some say you can't use diamonds like copper. But you know what to do with diamonds. If you can afford diamonds why settle for copper? Also, when you sell diamonds, it does fetch good price. Then why people here are against buying diamonds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Old 13th September 2007, 14:43   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Killer pricing - for Honda themselves. Seems like they just don't want to learn anything.

The SX4 looks - SO MUCH MORE VFM NOW.
Absolutely. The SX4 looks an even better bet NOW! If that's possible
Old 13th September 2007, 14:56   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Spend more, buy diamonds. You are assured of quality. You shine in them, people notice you, you feel happy. Some say you can't use diamonds like copper. But you know what to do with diamonds. If you can afford diamonds why settle for copper? Also, when you sell diamonds, it does fetch good price. Then why people here are against buying diamonds?
Diabloo, NHC (Diamonds) and SX4 (Copper) don't you think its taking it too far! I think most people here are not against Diamonds, but against pricing it higher just for the sake of it.

P.S. Hope you find your Diamond soon!
Old 13th September 2007, 17:02   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IIRC the diamonds are surely the SX4 and the NHC is overpriced Copper. I had a NHC before, i can tell you it is highly over rated, i agree it has space and good plastics but other than that nothing else, used to give 10kmpl in City driving and had poor brakes and hardly any power, heck 77bhp in a car, is it a joke.

I have a feeling Honda will collapse like Daewoo in India if they continue this over pricing sttrategy. Even Co. like Mercedes dont take people for such a ride and a toss.
Old 13th September 2007, 17:06   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa
I have a feeling Honda will collapse like Daewoo in India if they continue this over pricing sttrategy.
hahahaha! Are you serious! I'd like to take a print out of this and frame it above my computer!
Old 13th September 2007, 17:13   #117
Senior - BHPian

With hardcore Honda fans like diablooo around, Honda will survive a million years .
Old 13th September 2007, 17:15   #118
BHPian

So whatz new on NHC now?

Just trying to understanding what is new from the 10th anniversary special in these diamonds.... Oh! I mean NHC.

NHC EXI - addition of music player.
NHC GXI - addition of fog lamps!
NHC Vtec - Nothing?
NHC Vtec plus - ABS + Airbags.

Thats it? Looks like this thread has lost its importance, thanks to Honda.

I have driven (not owned) both SX4 and NHC, sure NHC is more refined, gives luxury feeling. But SX4 is not too behind on these and has much more to stand out.

Just my thoughts...
Old 13th September 2007, 17:19   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
IIRC the diamonds are surely the SX4 and the NHC is overpriced Copper. I had a NHC before, i can tell you it is highly over rated, i agree it has space and good plastics but other than that nothing else, used to give 10kmpl in City driving and had poor brakes and hardly any power, heck 77bhp in a car, is it a joke.
BUSA, have to disagree with you here, 10kmpl is unbelievably less mileage for NHC. I have never managed to get less than 11kmpl and I have driven 16K already. Almost 90% of the times I have measured, mileage has been between 12.5 and 14kmpl (All figures for city driving with 90-95% AC).

Regarding power, again I will disagree with you; this is *very* relative. Even when the car is fully loaded with 5 ppl and boot with loads of luggage, I haven't felt that there is less power. Of course, I haven't attempted to go beyond 140 with that much load, but I don't have the need either. And no, I haven't felt uncomfortable overtaking either.

Last edited by pmbabu : 13th September 2007 at 17:20.
Old 13th September 2007, 17:20   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a feeling Honda will collapse like Daewoo in India if they continue this over pricing sttrategy.
ROFL....are you kiddin me ?
Why the Honda bashing in almost all the related thread guys ?
We all know its not for enthusiasts so why raise this point again and again ?

@Diablo - well said buddy.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 13th September 2007 at 17:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks