Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 11:30   #76
BANNED

I don't think Honda cars are crap. Luxury comes at a price. There is difference between a 3 star hotel & a 5 star one.

Costly yes, but not crap.

FYI, Honda NHC sells the current model across the globe at around the same price as in India. In India, other car manufactures cut-cost so much that their cars resemble dungeons. Hence people are put off by them and go for Honda. Only if other manufacturers pull up their socks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The only people who can teach Honda a lesson are the car buyers. And we all know thats not going to happen. Last month, the NHC outsold the SX4 even without fog lights. I expect the NHC sales to zoom next month. It's sad that most car buyers are so much in awe of Honda that they lap up any crap they dish out.
Old 12th September 2007, 11:39   #77
Senior - BHPian

Lets try dissecting those statements....

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I don't think Honda cars are crap. Luxury comes at a price. There is difference between a 3 star hotel & a 5 star one.
So the City EXi/GXi is a 5 star room without a loo, a bathtub and airconditioning? I wonder what a 5 star hotel would think about that

Quote:

FYI, Honda NHC sells the current model across the globe at around the same price as in India. In India, other car manufactures cut-cost so much that their cars resemble dungeons. Hence people are put off by them and go for Honda. Only if other manufacturers pull up their socks...
Now lets see the prices...

Civic Sedan costs 15k for the base model and say another 2k in tax etc. So that comes to 17k. 17k translates to around 7lac INR. Since the Indian Govt taxes a hell of a lot, lets put another 3 lacs in taxes. So the grand total comes to 10lac INR. How much does honda sell the Civic at? The bangalore onroad price is 13.3lac INR. If this is not ripping off people, I don't know what is.

In a similar vein, the CR-V costs 22k in the US. How much does it sell for in India? Well its a cool 19.5lacs. Makes any sense? It doesnt to me atleast.
Old 12th September 2007, 11:49   #78
Senior - BHPian

We can all go on with the arguements about the NHC and the SX4. Though I am a Honda fan myself, I'm dont like the NHC that much. When the SX4 came out I was shocked at the killer pricing of 8 lakhs on road for the ZXi add 43k more for leather. Fantastic value for money. Made the NHC look really expensive and pricey. After all you are getting so much for so less. I went and drove the SX4. Liked it. But then I sat in my friend's NHC. Then I realised why the NHC was more expensive. There is a huge difference in the fit and finish, not to mention the quality of plastics used. Hell even the new Vitara doesnt have the finish of a 15 lakh rupee car.

So in the end its all upto the buyer what he wants. If he wants value he buys the Sx4. If he want high quality and that "H" badge he buys the NHC.

I agree with amit. Even though the new Vtec Plus has a riduculous price tag it definately will sell even at that price. A fine example is the Civic V. I thought it wouldnt have buyers. I mean what do you get apart from a new colour, fog lamps and a couple of other things. But I'm seeing quite a number of them on the road despite the price increase in the V model.
Old 12th September 2007, 11:51   #79
BANNED

How much does a Lancer cost in US? Is Mitsubushi a holy saint that sells at the same price in India?
Note: For a realistic comparison, leave out US. Compare with rest of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Now lets see the prices...

Civic Sedan costs 15k for the base model and say another 2k in tax etc. So that comes to 17k. 17k translates to around 7lac INR. Since the Indian Govt taxes a hell of a lot, lets put another 3 lacs in taxes. So the grand total comes to 10lac INR. How much does honda sell the Civic at? The bangalore onroad price is 13.3lac INR. If this is not ripping off people, I don't know what is.

In a similar vein, the CR-V costs 22k in the US. How much does it sell for in India? Well its a cool 19.5lacs. Makes any sense? It doesnt to me atleast.
Old 12th September 2007, 11:59   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So in the end its all upto the buyer what he wants. If he wants value he buys the Sx4. If he want high quality and that "H" badge he buys the NHC.
Add to that good ride quality,the sx4 feels much better when the roads get bad,plus the high driving position in the sx4 you get an almost honda crv like height in the drivers seat of the sx4 and many people love the higher seating position especially in the driving seat.

The NHC it would be for ease of driving and parking.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:00   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post

Well! Why look far? Just have a look at Honda Pakistan. Their City Vtec comes at a less cost WITH Steermatic 7 speed GearBox and WITH 110 PS Vtec Engine!!!

What is Honda India charging us for; nearly 4L for taxes? For a car which is manufactured in India??
Old 12th September 2007, 12:05   #82
Senior - BHPian

@ Diabloo Before the old lancer was phased out, it costed around 16k for the variant thats equivalent to the one sold in India. The 2008 lancer costs around 2000$ more. Considering the fact that cedia sells for around 9 lacs here, I say its way better value for money than the Civic for sure. Also FYI the very same cedia sports thats sold in India is 11500 pounds in UK. Go figure...

Anyway here's a comparison with the honda australia prices...

The CRV costs 34000 AUD which translates to 11.4lac INR. The Civic costs 21500 AUD which translates to 7.3lac INR. You might say Australia is cheap too so lets compare to UK prices which is supposedly rather expensive.

The CRV costs 18800 pounds which translates to 15.5lacs. The accord costs 17700 pounds which translates to around 14.7 lacs. Now I rest my case.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 12th September 2007 at 12:08.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:05   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Well! Why look far? Just have a look at Honda Pakistan. Their City Vtec comes at a less cost WITH Steermatic 7 speed GearBox and WITH 110 PS Vtec Engine!!!

What is Honda India charging us for; nearly 4L for taxes? For a car which is manufactured in India??
Why is Honda being singled out ?

Except Indian manufacturers and very few others who don't sell well, all sell at a much higher price. Think BMW, Merc or anyone.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
I agree with amit. Even though the new Vtec Plus has a riduculous price tag it definately will sell even at that price. A fine example is the Civic V. I thought it wouldnt have buyers. I mean what do you get apart from a new colour, fog lamps and a couple of other things. But I'm seeing quite a number of them on the road despite the price increase in the V model.
Yup, that's the problem, they sell even when they are over-priced & due to the same reason I think this also is going to do pretty decent numbers. Atleast, more than any other manufacturer trying to pull such a sham apart from Skoda maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
plus the high driving position in the sx4 you get an almost honda crv like height in the drivers seat of the sx4 and many people love the higher seating position especially in the driving seat.
For some, this could be the factor which puts them off. I personally hate "high" seating positions & the better view argument so would be immediately put off. But then the NHC's seating position is high too (atleast in comparison to the OHC) and I don't like that car either.

Quote:
IIRC, 60% of our car's on-road price consists of taxes.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:11   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
There is a huge difference in the fit and finish, not to mention the quality of plastics used.
Haven't been in a NHC so wouldn't comment on that but I do agree with SX4 plastics. When I test drove the car, thats the biggest complaint I had against the car. The dashboard design is good but the quality of plastics used in pretty pathetic. Surely doesn't feel like a 8 lakh rupee worth quality.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:16   #86
BANNED

May I know the price?
Note: Check this out PakWheels.com :: Latest prices of cars in Pakistan.

Quote:

Old 12th September 2007, 12:19   #87
Senior - BHPian

The price of the 1.8l 140bhp Civic is 13.3lacs Pakistani rupees which when converted to INR is roughly 8.9lac INR.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:25   #88
Senior - BHPian

"I don't think Honda cars are crap. Luxury comes at a price. There is difference between a 3 star hotel & a 5 star one.

FYI, Honda NHC sells the current model across the globe at around the same price as in India. In India, other car manufactures cut-cost so much that their cars resemble dungeons. Hence people are put off by them and go for Honda. Only if other manufacturers pull up their socks..."

boy.. what an utopian world! what parts of NHC will you call luxury? Only for good plastics! what about a climate control? an integrated HU? Airbags? ABS? pretensioner belts?

FYI, NHC only sells in Japan (Aria), Thailand, Malaysia, India & Pakistan ONLY...

"In India, other car manufactures cut-cost so much that their cars resemble dungeons."

Ain't you referring to Honda Siel and NHC? lol... so much for your knowledge...

Last edited by iTNerd : 12th September 2007 at 12:27.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:28   #89
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

As I have said earlier -

1) All new Honda Accord in Mar-08.
2) Civic minor upgrade - May/June-08 - a cheaper variant to be introduced.
3) Completely new NHC - Oct-08.

Jazz coming in 2009, huge hatch is all Honda says. And Honda not even thinking about diesel in India for now.

Also an all new small car for Asia being designed - coming 2010 and India is going to be the hub for that.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 12th September 2007 at 12:30.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:33   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Guys,

As I have said earlier -

1) All new Honda Accord in Mar-08.
2) Civic minor upgrade - May/June-08 - a cheaper variant to be introduced.
3) Completely new NHC - Oct-08.

Jazz coming in 2009, huge hatch is all Honda says. And Honda not even thinking about diesel in India for now.

Also an all new small car for Asia being designed - coming 2010 and India is going to be the hub for that.
The DON strikes again. Going by past records I'm sure all of what you said will be on schedule

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks