Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 12:33   #91
BANNED

If Civic sells at 9L INR in Pak (11L INR in India), then can't NHC VTEC sell at 7L INR in Pak (8.5L INR in India)?

EDIT: Not sure of tax calculation in India & Pakistan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The price of the 1.8l 140bhp Civic is 13.3lacs Pakistani rupees which when converted to INR is roughly 8.9lac INR.

Last edited by diabloo : 12th September 2007 at 12:39.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:35   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
1) All new Honda Accord in Mar-08.
Yippeee! Now only if I can get the bank robbing executed properly
Old 12th September 2007, 12:39   #93
Senior - BHPian

Volume brings prices down. Are the car sales of a particular brand in India equivalent to what it is in the US. Are tax structures, customs duty the same? Is power cost equal across the world. Are income levels at parity? There are a lot of factors involved, plus the company attaching a certain premium value to its brand.

TV's are manufactured in India, but are they comparable to US prices? I don't think so.

Markets drive prices. Period. If SX4 has forced Honda & Ford to offer better stuff good for us. If Honda still manages good sales then Maruti is going to be forced to go one step better.

I somehow wonder if SX4 was priced less because of its mileage? Just wondering as I have a couple of my friends who say its gives only 9.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:40   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Yippeee! Now only if I can get the bank robbing executed properly
No i-DTEC for India ?
Old 12th September 2007, 12:41   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
If Civic sells at 9L INR in Pak (11L INR in India), then can't NHC VTEC sell at 7L INR in Pak (8.5L INR in India)?
Surely. Why not. However the point here is Honda prices their cars higher in India.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:43   #96
BANNED

Whats the basis of your comparison? Is it:

1. Honda charges more in India compared to other markets for all the comparable models. OR

2. NHC is overpriced in India compared to other countries where it is sold. OR

3. Both (1) & (2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
@ Diabloo Before the old lancer was phased out, it costed around 16k for the variant thats equivalent to the one sold in India. The 2008 lancer costs around 2000$ more. Considering the fact that cedia sells for around 9 lacs here, I say its way better value for money than the Civic for sure. Also FYI the very same cedia sports thats sold in India is 11500 pounds in UK. Go figure...

Anyway here's a comparison with the honda australia prices...

The CRV costs 34000 AUD which translates to 11.4lac INR. The Civic costs 21500 AUD which translates to 7.3lac INR. You might say Australia is cheap too so lets compare to UK prices which is supposedly rather expensive.

The CRV costs 18800 pounds which translates to 15.5lacs. The accord costs 17700 pounds which translates to around 14.7 lacs. Now I rest my case.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:46   #97
BHPian

This 'volume' argument is brought up at all time but its doesn't fly, if these cars were priced similarly as they are in India in markets where volumes are high they won't get the volumes. Period. It's because they are priced sensibly that they have volumes in the first place.

And because India is a country where purchasing power is low and wealth is not as well distributed it could make sense to have a premium because the market is limited anyway, and from a marketers perspective this is the easiest strategy to adopt but it is a short term and cynical strategy for a country that is growing.

Americans and Europeans have more purchasing power and income and car producers in these countries have significantly higher costs of business than in India yet the cars are lower priced and better featured than here, which indicates something amiss, profiteering is the word, I believe, there is a whole thread about this on the forum. We are being taken for a ride because of the current market context in India and we have to accept it instead of justifying it, I can understand Honda justifying it because it benefits them but for for others do you enjoy paying more for car? No choice but to wait for competition to bring a correction.

Last edited by raul : 12th September 2007 at 12:57.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:47   #98
BHPian

Fantastic move and pricing by Honda (pun intended) !!!!

I wonder why wouldn't consumers increase their budget by around 90K and go for the Corolla H1 instead....or for the matter, go for the Cedia.

Honda does have a tendency to fleece us Indians since it still believes that it has most of the Indian car-buying diaspora under its firm grip....but this pricing is sacrilege even taking into account the tax structure.

Also, I really do not like the unavailability of a engine temperature guage in the City.....whatever made them do away with that ??
Old 12th September 2007, 12:54   #99
BHPian

I agree with dippy... NHC Vtec + is definitely NOT VFM... These features should have been introduced without the price hike to win over the lost market share to the SX4 OR other available options.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:45   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
We can all go on with the arguements about the NHC and the SX4. Though I am a Honda fan myself, I'm dont like the NHC that much. When the SX4 came out I was shocked at the killer pricing of 8 lakhs on road for the ZXi add 43k more for leather. Fantastic value for money. Made the NHC look really expensive and pricey. After all you are getting so much for so less. I went and drove the SX4. Liked it. But then I sat in my friend's NHC. Then I realised why the NHC was more expensive. There is a huge difference in the fit and finish, not to mention the quality of plastics used. Hell even the new Vitara doesnt have the finish of a 15 lakh rupee car.
More than 1 lakh rupees for what... better plastics! And what about the extra's you get with the SX4, a bigger more powerful engine, ABS + Dual Airbags, Alloys + bigger fatter tyres, Integrated stereo with steering wheel controls not to mention it ride and handles a hell lot better than the City.
Either ways, the plastics on SX4 are not as good as city for sure but calling them terrible or pathetic would be taking things a bit too far IMHO.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:54   #101
BANNED

Hey, I don't think ARAI would allow that. AFAIK NHC has a digital temparature guage. Will confirm with NHC owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
Also, I really do not like the unavailability of a engine temperature guage in the City.....whatever made them do away with that ??
If they had introduced without price hike, that would have amounted to cheating existing owners. That would have sent bad message to the public that Honda is making super normal profits.
My manager bought his dream car, Optra petrol couple of months back for 10L in Bangalore. Now the price has dropped to 8.5L . Now he is like, "GM cheated me".
Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil View Post
I agree with dippy... NHC Vtec + is definitely NOT VFM... These features should have been introduced without the price hike to win over the lost market share to the SX4 OR other available options.
As per the sales information, NHC is still doing the same numbers as before SX4.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:58   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Volume brings prices down. Are the car sales of a particular brand in India equivalent to what it is in the US. Are tax structures, customs duty the same? Is power cost equal across the world. Are income levels at parity? There are a lot of factors involved, plus the company attaching a certain premium value to its brand.
The major expense a company would incur in building cars anywhere would be the salaries, cost to maintain the infastructure and transportation.
In India all three major expenses are cheaper and still we have to do with overpriced cars which are woefully under-equipped.
For the cost of a single worker in US, Honda can employ more than 10 factory floor workers here.
Talking about volumes, wouldnt honda have volumes if they sell the city at say 5-6 lakh rupees... sales would more than double IMHO and the profit they earn would be the same or even more as they did before but it will erode the exclusivity the brand Honda has, it would become a mass's brand and why bother when you can earn the same amount of profit dealing with lesser no. of customers and also maintain the exclusivity of the brand and not turn it into a mass brand.
Opposite is the case with Maruti, they are a mass brand, with great numbers but its not exclusive and they cant get away with Honda levels of pricing and hence the SX4 price tag. If you compare the two SX4 ZXi and City 1.5 sold in their present form in India, in any other country, it would be a no brainer, choosing SX4 over City.
Old 12th September 2007, 14:03   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per the sales information, NHC is still doing the same numbers as before SX4.
But Honda civic sales are falling.
Old 12th September 2007, 14:35   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
IIRC, 60% of our car's on-road price consists of taxes.
can that be true!!
Old 12th September 2007, 15:26   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Hey, I don't think ARAI would allow that. AFAIK NHC has a digital temparature guage. Will confirm with NHC owner.

If they had introduced without price hike, that would have amounted to cheating existing owners. That would have sent bad message to the public that Honda is making super normal profits.
My manager bought his dream car, Optra petrol couple of months back for 10L in Bangalore. Now the price has dropped to 8.5L . Now he is like, "GM cheated me".

Diabloo, whom (why) are you fighting this lonely battle for

Most Viewed