Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What's your peeve on the road? - Five things that torture you when driving
Taxis & Autos 78 74.29%
BEST & ST Buses 4 3.81%
Trucks & Trailers 2 1.90%
Pedestrians & Cycles 15 14.29%
The Traffic Cop 6 5.71%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2004, 04:59   #16
BANNED

man welcome to india...the cops all the they care abt is whether u have money to pay their ass off.....remember man.... sallu and is lc..running into peolpe at hll road...u can get away with anything.. being a doc i shouldnt say this but its true.. i am sure u will agree!
Old 18th April 2004, 14:40   #17
Team-BHP Support

I got two words for pedestrians (and cows)

Hellaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaa horns!

In the city i dont use my horn for expressing frustration like most ppl do but just for warning other people of my presence, but on the highway its a different story...u gotta have some serious decibels! I got some nice ~113db horns for my car before goin to goa and they did save a lot of lives for sure! (mostly cows)..
cya
R
Old 19th April 2004, 00:20   #18
Team-BHP Support

Taxis & rickshaws irritate me the most. I think they are a confused lot. They don't know which lane is for slow moving traffic and which lane is for overtaking. Haphazard parking is another area where taxis and rickshaws take the cake.
Others that bug me are jaywalkers. Not just uneducated, but even educated people take to jaywalking. I've seen college students walking 5 abreast on narrow, dug-up roads on which two cars can't pass each other easily. One of the first lessons we are given in primary school is how to walk on the road. Where there are no footpaths, walk in a single file. Many times people stand in the middle of the road and chat away to glory, leaving a motorist with no other option but to put his car in a ditch.
Old 19th April 2004, 19:08   #19
Sam
BHPian

I second that aditya, in some countries jaywalking is a punishable offence. And why can ppl walk on foot paths when they are provided. An when having a chat in the road why do some ppl display hostility when u horning from ur car for them to move away?
Old 19th April 2004, 20:55   #20
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Aditya @ April 18 2004,22:50)]Taxis & rickshaws irritate me the most. They don't know which lane is for slow moving traffic and which lane is for overtaking
i couldnt agree with u more man ! last night i was coming home on W.E highway towards andheri near the domestic airport(where u take right for the same) which had some traffic...i was in the first lane which was the only empty lane & was doing abt 40-50 or so..the rest of the lanes were pretty crowded...suddenly a taxiwallah decides that he wants to go ahead & without looking behind just took out his car out of the lane!! i braked hard..really hard & somehow just managed to not bang the taxi...it was an old muslim man who was driving..& the b****** had the audacity to give me looks as if it were my mistake ! i felt like getting out of the car & really hitting him hard...but he was so frail that one blow & he'd have died plus i had family with me...

Thank honda for nice powerful brakes!

M3
Old 1st November 2004, 13:34   #21
Team-BHP Support

sam, aditya,

mumbai atleast is a very pedestrian unfriendly city. most footpaths and other pedestrian walkways are overrun with hawkers. if they are not that they are pooly maintained. I often go for a walk down my road and find myself being pushed to the road off the footpath by open manholes, broken tiles, hawkers and even garbage.

I live in 2 places. santa cruz and warden road. at santa cruz there is no pedestrian crossing from santacruz station to milan subway. on warden road the pedestrian crossings i have seen are near mahalaxmi temple and the american counsualte. there is short pedestrian light at the sohia college lane but try following that light and you will notice that you will always have to dodge traffic.

In Frankfurt and NY (between which I spent 12 years) there is a pedestrian crossing evey major block. a pedestrian crossing is when no other traffic is moving when the pedestrian crossing's green light is on. At ravindra natya mandir in prabhadevi for example the pedestrian crossing light is on while cars are also being givne the green light. Dont know what the cops weer thinking.

BTW frankfurt and NY have higher traffic density than Mumbai so it is not the cars that are to blame atleast not the nu,mber of cars that are to blame.

Hong Kong and Singapore's traffic density is far greater than mumbai's yet their average traffic speeds are higher than mumbai. go figure.

traffic (public, private and pedestrian) control must be integrated into one holisitc solution. You cant fix one without consideration of the others. Mumbai has the will to do this (in fits and starts) like has been proven by the crossing at VT and Churchgate and even of late at Bandra Station. We only have to make this will consistent.

hawker zones, multi storey parking lots, a severe reduction in the number of taxis (NY for example has under 18,000 yellow cabs while Mumbai has over 60,000 cabs and maybe twice that number in autos), better public transport (regular buses between hotspots). Say if there was a multi storey lot at kala ghoda and another one at nariman point and all one had to do was park one's car and climb into a bus that went to nariman point or vice versa it would cut down on the traffic between these 2 points.

most importantly we have to build cities that will destress mumbai, delhi, calcutta, bangalore, madras etc. we need to have 1000 metros not 10 or 20.

The Maharashtra Govt. should move to Nashik for example. Just like Albany is the capital of NYS,Sacremento is the capital of CA, Wiesbaden is the capital of Hessen.

phew...what a tirade...sorry folks.

Old 1st November 2004, 14:28   #22
BHPian

If there's one thing that really gets my goat, it's pedestrians who cross the road through a green light and hold out their hands expecting oncoming traffic to just jam on the brakes and wait for them to cross!
Old 1st November 2004, 15:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Sam @ April 17 2004,17:24)]The dam pedestrians... who the hell do they think they are. I was driving on the sea link one morning being a bit late and rather enjoying driving fast on a 3 lane road i sped around the big corner going towards the western express at about 130 and this idiot sees me coming and tries to make a run for it. Its a bit of a blind corner so i didnt see him before to anticipate it. He then hesitates to cross and moves back and forth... me i didnt know which direction to go so i braked and if anyone has dead braked in my ford from that speed its one long screech. I stopped and the guy started running away.. to top things off there were cops sitting at that corner under the shade and didnt say a word to that guy. The thing is if i had rammed him it would be my fault... why???
hey sam,
dont u think u shudnt be doing 130 on a blind corner
Old 1st November 2004, 15:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

just like the most of us,its the a@#-hole doing 60 on the right lane and even inspite of flashing ,honking or even ramming him,wud not move over and on the other hand wud abuse u for driving fast.
i got into a fight the last night on the eastern express highway at 1 am ,i was doing 140+ as the road was empty and inspite of flashing from far away this santro guy did not move over.
and when i slowed down to take my left turn to mulund,he blocked me and tried to provoke me into fight .i simply ignored him as i was alone and theyw ere abt 4 of them .hehe
Old 1st November 2004, 15:16   #25
BHPian

Now that was a tough one. Instead of a single-vote poll it should have been a multiple-vote one, as I'm troubled by the presence of them ALL: taxis/autos, best buses (not too many STs here on this part of town), trucks (few trailers), pedestrians and cyclists naturally, and obviously the tobacco chewing pot bellied pandus....

I didn't vote cuz i wanted to select all !

- Aalaap
Old 1st November 2004, 15:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Auto Rikshaws, Two wheelers, Ignorant drivers, Pedestrains, Buses, Cops is the order for me from highest to lowest frustation levels.

Sometime ago, I wanted to do a survey on this site to see how safe are team-bhpians to fellow road users. But later I noticed auto enthusiasts are the most safest drivers.
Old 1st November 2004, 21:04   #27
SLK
Senior - BHPian

the traffic cop
they are the only ones to blame! They can set everyone in the above list right but they don't bother.
they stand there and do nothing... just note down cars doing 50+km/h.
Old 2nd November 2004, 04:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

The traffic cops.Afterall they are the ones to be blamed for the way these crooked cabbies drive.I mean how irresponsible can one get,lettin them off with just 10-20 bucks???
And second wud definately be the cycle-wallah,the cabbies.....etc etc.Basically everything bout driving in India sucks!

X

Old 2nd November 2004, 06:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Alright guys,got sumthing on apna traffic cops.Especially for those who critised em.Including me.hehe.
This one cop is surely a 'Terrific' cop.Hats off to him!
Its a must read for everyone.So plz co-operate.

Indian Traffic Cop

X

Old 2nd November 2004, 14:05   #30
Team-BHP Support

satya, be careful about provking people nowadays. i know of atleast 2 cases where someone has been sot for less. in one case the driver was not someone who would provoke anyone. he does not even remember provikig anyone. must have cut someone off by accident due to mumbai traffic. he was shot at aout 3pm a the haji ali junction. his wife got hit in the arm he got hit in the neck and spent some time recuperating at bhatia hosp.

if someone does not move over esp if there are 4 guys in the car pass on the left. there are certain elements that think they own the road. bollywood fans those fantasies.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks