Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 11:06   #1
BHPian

The 'Beetle' is back in India for 4k pounds

LONDON: Volkswagen is to build another no-frills "People's Car" for the 21st century, 70 years after the emergence of the first "Beetle".

The tiny 111/2foot-long four-seater will be unveiled on Monday night on the eve of the Frankfurt Motor Show.

The new Beetle will have its engine in the rear, with luggage space under the bonnet.

In China, India and other developing countries the car will cost around 4,000 pounds. In Britain and Europe it will cost around 5,000 pounds, reports The Daily Mail.

In the West, a three-cylinder petrol engine will form part of the car, while in toher places, a two-cylinder engine will be offered.

It is thought Apple is also working on an "intelligent" version of the car with wi-fi internet access.

Volkswagen, which means "people's car" in German, was set up by the Nazis to build cheap cars for the masses.

The brilliant designer Dr Ferdinand Porsche was told to create a car that could carry two adults and three children and cost less than 50 pounds - half the price of the other cars then on the market.

His design, the original Beetle, was given the go-ahead by Adolf Hitler in 1936.

But before production could start, the Second World War broke out and VW's factory in Wolfsburg switched to making military vehicles.

After the war, the ruined factory was rebuilt under the guidance of British Army officers led by Major Ivan Hirst and 10,000 Beetles were produced in 1946.

The Beetle, also nicknamed the Bug, went on to become an icon of the Swinging Sixties, and in 1972, it became the world's best-selling car, overtaking the Model T Ford.

Production switched to Mexico in 1978 and there the last original Beetle - number 21,529,464 - came off the line in 2003.

source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2355402.cms
Old 12th September 2007, 13:19   #2
BANNED

Will there be any takers in India because it's shape ?
Old 12th September 2007, 13:38   #3
BHPian

I think there are lot of people out there who could buy this. Remember Swift was also radically very different and lot of people have liked it.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
If there are buyers in India for NHC and the Swift.. why not the Beetle?
Old 12th September 2007, 13:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

the beetle would definately have takers in india. the shape is a big hit with the women and looks very cute. the original beetle was also a radical design for its time and had fast acceptance and became one of the most popular cars with the people. if VW manages to pull the same thing with the new beetle then i dont see anything stopping it, maybe the price would in india.
Old 12th September 2007, 14:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
It is a new beetle so it may be nothing like the original beetle.
Old 12th September 2007, 15:00   #7
BHPian

I think we underestimate the maturity of the Indian consumer - we have been pretty open to accepting cars with odd shapes - if you think of it - the Ambassador and the Fiat Padmini - were cars with shapes that were quite unique - and that tradition continued with the Badal and the swift and nhc today
Old 12th September 2007, 15:09   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

If Volkswagen ever releases a beetle in India, I will stand in line for a week to buy it at 4000 quid.
Old 12th September 2007, 15:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Very true its big and the curves are perfect. I saw it running on bangalore roads 2-3 times and fell in love with it instantly, its different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
It is a new beetle so it may be nothing like the original beetle.

Me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
If Volkswagen ever releases a beetle in India, I will stand in line for a week to buy it at 4000 quid.
Old 12th September 2007, 15:53   #10
BHPian

Are they serious about a two-cylinder engine or ET got it wrong? I'm curious as I haven't heard of a car running on a two-cyl engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by junky View Post
In the West, a three-cylinder petrol engine will form part of the car, while in toher places, a two-cylinder engine will be offered.
Old 12th September 2007, 16:31   #11
BHPian

check the site

normal
New Beetle Home

convertible
New Beetle Convertible Home
Old 12th September 2007, 16:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ohh is it just 4000 Pounds ?...
That's around 3,20,000 INR ... I'm gonna buy one sometime
Old 12th September 2007, 17:13   #13
BHPian

Are they really talking about the New Beetle? Or is it an entirely new car?

I think this might be it:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...car-india.html
Old 12th September 2007, 17:27   #14
BHPian

Beetle Woes

4000 pounds in India should have cost roughly 3.28 Lacs. However considering the consideration that the India Government considers the Car to be a Luxury, & that any Luxury item in India has to be necessarily taxed beyond a common man's reach the same thing will be priced at nothing less than 5 Lacs...
Given that the car will be a 2 cylinder engine the probability of ppl buying it in lots is doubtful...
Also with the Tata's & Nissan's thinking about bringing in the 1L car, the beetle might at the end of it all have a short lived life here...
Old 12th September 2007, 17:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Are they going to launch the current new beetle @ 4 grand?? I think not! coz the current one is 16grand abroad!! I think i'l be an all new car. Maybe based on the lupo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks