Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which has the best suspension?
Swift 54 22.22%
Getz 33 13.58%
Indica 24 9.88%
Santro 1 0.41%
WagonR 3 1.23%
Alto 2 0.82%
Estilo 0 0%
Fusion 19 7.82%
Palio 95 39.09%
UV-A 5 2.06%
Spark 3 1.23%
M800 4 1.65%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2007, 10:42   #46
BANNED

Oh my god! How did I forget that? I should be crucified. When the hatchbacks were counted, only the premium ones came to my mind. Stupid me!

Without any doubt, the Alto is one of the best handlers in India. Given a track and choice of all these cars, Alto will be the ONE! In the street scene too, it is definitely ahead of many others. Get an Alto 1.1 and in the stock form, it will knock the knickers off from many other big names. Shod it with some decent rubber and it will amaze you better.

Now the poll option came in too late. And we have already voted for another car.
Old 13th September 2007, 10:45   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Get an Alto 1.1 and in the stock form, it will knock the knickers off from many other big names. Shod it with some decent rubber and it will amaze you better.
What kind of tyres you mean? can you specify the size?
Old 13th September 2007, 10:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego4evr View Post
As per OD's anniversay edition .. swift handels the best ........
Its their imagination thats on Overdrive. Fusion is the best handler amongst large hatches without doubt - ride is a harsh over bad roads, though.

Amongst the smaller ones its definitely the pocket rocket Alto.
Old 13th September 2007, 11:03   #49
BANNED

@gopz. There are a lot of options you can do on an Alto for a tyre upgrade. That's one reason I didn't specify it in my earlier post and used the word decent. 13 inchers of 175/185/195 with 50/55/60/65 profile would do.
There're some good threads discussing tyre sizes in Tyres and Alloys section. Please read it.
Old 13th September 2007, 12:30   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
From my experiance of sitting at back seat:

1. Palio 1.2
2. Palio 1.6
3. Indica D
4. Getz 1.3 (Very good on good roads and equally bad on bad roads)
I dont undertand why people are discussing ride quality on this thread when only handling is under consideration. Guyz, open another thread for ride quality if you want but this thread is about handling only (Thread starter is not bothered about even the balance between ride & handling, Its only handling). So lets stick to the topic, Shall we.

Last edited by Ajay_J : 13th September 2007 at 12:34.
Old 13th September 2007, 12:44   #51
BHPian

Clearly Palio wins the league as ride and handling is also the best in class followed by Getz and then Swift.
Old 13th September 2007, 13:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

I dont know about the handling bit because I have not thrown all the hatches around. But on suspension I can vouch for the Indica.
Old 13th September 2007, 13:30   #53
BHPian

My vote goes to Palio .. the list goes like

1. Palio
2. Swift
3. Getz
Old 13th September 2007, 13:31   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
I dont undertand why people are discussing ride quality on this thread when only handling is under consideration. Guyz, open another thread for ride quality if you want but this thread is about handling only (Thread starter is not bothered about even the balance between ride & handling, Its only handling). So lets stick to the topic, Shall we.
I have earlier mentioned that Road Handling = Comfort / Holding / Cornering capabilities. Ride quality will be a part of comfort.
Old 13th September 2007, 13:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

Another ill conceived poll. The polls are mostly like "what car do you drive ?"
Old 13th September 2007, 14:00   #56
BHPian

Fusion it has to be. Great cornering capabilites, excellent road holding.
Comfort over bad roads will be an issue with all the cars mentioned here.
But fusion glides over potholed roads effortlessly, though you might/cannot be comfortable.
My Vote is for Fusion.
Old 13th September 2007, 14:17   #57
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
I dont undertand why people are discussing ride quality on this thread when only handling is under consideration.
Well I assumed so too. Since handling is not about riding over the bumps but about being able to confidently come out of corners with the best balance & utmost confidence once you chuck the car into those corners.

But the thread starter thinks otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1182
I have earlier mentioned that Road Handling = Comfort / Holding / Cornering capabilities. Ride quality will be a part of comfort.
Bill, when you mention good handling you will have to make a sacrifice on ride quality. When you want to throw a car into a corner you need a stiff suspension and sticky tires. But when you want ride quality you need a softer suspension and high profile tires.

Totally agree with v1p3r. Alto is league ahead of all the other cars in terms on handling. I was of the opinion that we were considering only premium hatchbacks here. Which is where the cars IMO rank as follows:
1. Alto.
2. Getz.
3. Swift.
4. Palio.
5. Spark.

Though the old 800 coded the SS80 was also a fabulous handler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
Another ill conceived poll. The polls are mostly like "what car do you drive ?"
Old 13th September 2007, 14:24   #58
Senior - BHPian

@mclaren.... Getz handling better than Swift and a Palio? The car's got a softish suspension and its a rolly polly thing not meant for track or chucking around corners.
Old 13th September 2007, 14:36   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
@mclaren.... Getz handling better than Swift and a Palio? The car's got a softish suspension and its a rolly polly thing not meant for track or chucking around corners.
Not really soft. I agree the handling of the getz is much better than the other's except teh Alto. Ofcourse the Alto for me as well comes out on top. lightweight very chuckable and amazing grip even with the stock 145 tyres. The swift has good handling but I found it's a little tail happy especially the VXi with the 165 tyres with the Zxi a little better off.

Ofcourse this is with stock OE tyres I am comparing. If we upgrade to better rubber then the swift/getz may change places. The Alto still on top. I haven't driven the Palio/Spark.
Old 13th September 2007, 14:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Fusion Rocks.

Hai,

I also agree, this poll should be in two parts, one for ride and another for handling.

Just to test out, I haven driven the Swift from Udaipur to Himmatnagar, NH8, about 140 KMS and the Fusion on the way up, 250 KMS. Road is one of the best, full of twisties and straights. My sense:

1. Riding comfort - Swift. EPS steering, softer ride and accelerates smooth and fast. In two twisties, back wheels lost traction and fishtailed a little, was doing 110 kmph, was unnerving.

2. Handling, stability and precision in braking: Fusion. Stiffer ride, good feedbacks, and great if the engine is on the boil. Fentastic road grip, precise braking, rock-steady feel, gives a more planted and stable feeling on any turn or straight. Wheels squeel, never loose grip, even on a 120 KMPS turn on a twisty.

In both parameters, Santro LP is lesser, IMHO, have done 35 K kms with it.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
============

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks