Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which has the best suspension?
Swift 54 22.22%
Getz 33 13.58%
Indica 24 9.88%
Santro 1 0.41%
WagonR 3 1.23%
Alto 2 0.82%
Estilo 0 0%
Fusion 19 7.82%
Palio 95 39.09%
UV-A 5 2.06%
Spark 3 1.23%
M800 4 1.65%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2010, 17:38   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
+1, Punto is undoubtedly the winner when it comes to handling. Not sure about the suspention though.
This is why Fiat Palio was the winner of this Poll
I would beg to differ on this.

I think there is no contest, when it comes to Punto compared to other hatchbacks, so there is no point in comparison.

Punto wins hands down and easily trumples its competetion.
maverickxx2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2010, 17:50   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Please pardon my ignorance! I have a very basic question.
1. How do I test handling? What is the exact manoevure to be performed?
2. What is the expected result for a good handling car?
3.How does it affect or benefit routine commutes?

Mods: If there is a more appropriate thread, this post may please be shifted.
Try the ELC maneuver (i.e. emergency lane change). The name is pretty self explanatory. Try to find some videos from the net on this to get a clearer understanding of what needs to be done to set up this test.
Old 18th October 2010, 18:09   #93
BANNED

Shouldn't we add punto,polo,figo and fabia to the list now
scarlet.fever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2010, 18:46   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
I would beg to differ on this.

I think there is no contest, when it comes to Punto compared to other hatchbacks, so there is no point in comparison.

Punto wins hands down and easily trumples its competetion.
So are you saying that Punto is Sachin Tendulkar of Hatches?
Old 18th October 2010, 19:49   #95
BANNED

It is Punto which needs to be added in this list .It wins from all current hatches , even many sedans.
Old 13th July 2011, 17:03   #96

re: Which hatchback has best suspension and road handling?

Fiat Adventure Sports 1.6 is the best all the way. Drive many cars but this is the best suspension car for Indian roads.
Old 13th July 2011, 17:52   #97
BHPian

Nothing better than my Palio S10
Old 19th September 2020, 08:57   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

I came here to create some controversy.
Reigniting this thread even though it's old, since it already exists.
I have a contender, and it's not even on the list. I've been driving an Eon for the past week as a loaner. And man is it a limpet! Reminds me of my fiesta, except that felt like a car in the corners. This one just sticks with no roll at whatever speeds you chuck it in while making your feel like there's a wheel in each corner right next to you!
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 10:04   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I have a contender, and it's not even on the list. I've been driving an Eon for the past week as a loaner. And man is it a limpet!
First and only post describing Eon as a FTD car. Because of the size, it is good for a quick pass. However, it is definitely no where close to a Fiesta. I have driven Eon for few weeks when in Goa. I found it to be a good city car, comfortable and good on features. It was not a car which could take corners like a Fiesta or a Figo. With all honesty, I did not try. But can safely say it would have never got me feel like a Ford if I had tried driving it like them.
VWAllstar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 10:29   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
First and only post describing Eon as a FTD car. Because of the size, it is good for a quick pass. However, it is definitely no where close to a Fiesta. I have driven Eon for few weeks when in Goa. I found it to be a good city car, comfortable and good on features. It was not a car which could take corners like a Fiesta or a Figo. With all honesty, I did not try. But can safely say it would have never got me feel like a Ford if I had tried driving it like them.

Not saying its better than a fiesta. I owned one for 8 years so I know. What I mean is that the fiesta still felt like a car when taking a corner. That it was a saloon. This thing, though, it seems to shrink around you. I won't go with the cliche of a go cart, but it somehow feels so much enclosing all around. Maybe because the engine sounds like its going much faster than the car actually is.

Also, I think this particular eon's shockers are shot.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 11:03   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... been driving an Eon for the past week as a loaner. And man is it a limpet! Reminds me of my fiesta, except that felt like a car in the corners. This one just sticks with no roll at whatever speeds you chuck it in while making your feel like there's a wheel in each corner right next to you!
Excerpts from GTOs review -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The clutch is very light. In fact, it's probably amongst the lightest clutches I have ever used. This, combined with the light steering & tiny turning radius, makes the Eon very easy to drive in the city. The gear shift quality is rubbery, but the gates are better defined than the vague unit of the Alto.

The Eon's suspension is a McPherson strut setup at the front and torsion beam axle at the rear. The dampers, however, are gas filled. Ride quality is about what you would expect from a car of this segment. The Eon stays compliant as long as the roads are good, or mildly uneven. It will even take urban undulations sufficiently well and doesn't feel anywhere as stiff as the Santro. However, as road conditions deteriorate, the basic nature of this car emerges. Large bumps can send a jolt down your spine, and there is excessive vertical movement on uneven roads. Note that ride quality is better for front occupants than those on the back seat.

Push hard and she will understeer easily, with body roll becoming noticeable too. I did like the highway stability. By segment standards, the Eon was fairly stable even at 120 kph. It did not feel nervous at all. What I didn't like was the steering which feels like it's been inspired by a gaming console. Sure, its super light in the city and nearly all potential owners will greatly appreciate that. However, when out on the highway at 120 kph, it stays super light. And at that speed, the steering is too sensitive, with the front wheels responding to the slightest steering movement.

.. Eon easily has braking capability that is the best in the segment. I stood on the brakes at a 100 kph and the hatchback stopped in a straight line. No fuss, no sideways movement
Having driven the Eon in city as well as highways, I totally concur with GTOs review. Light clutch and razor sharp brakes plus a very good aircon makes it a good city car.

Light steering, spine jarring thuds in unexpected pot holes and flimsy tyres do not inspire the required confidence on highways. With four on board and AC on, overtaking is a struggle - engine sounds gruff (and raspy?) beyond a point.

A really fun to drive hatch was the Alto K10 - it was a rocket and reminded me of jelly bean Zen....
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 11:32   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I think this particular eon's shockers are shot.
Probably. I own one and the softly-sprung nature is evident at highway speeds. The car glides over bad roads at slow speeds and that's about it. At higher speeds, there is considerable vertical movement especially at the rear. Can't say much about body roll because I don't have the guts to throw it around corners.

Whel it comes to steering feel and overall dynamics, Alto K10 is clearly a winner in this segment. I've driven the new one and loved it.

Last edited by self_driven : 19th September 2020 at 11:37.
Old 19th September 2020, 11:34   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Excerpts from GTOs review -

Having driven the Eon in city as well as highways, I totally concur with GTOs review. Light clutch and razor sharp brakes plus a very good aircon makes it a good city car.

Light steering, spine jarring thuds in unexpected pot holes and flimsy tyres do not inspire the required confidence on highways. With four on board and AC on, overtaking is a struggle - engine sounds gruff (and raspy?) beyond a point.

A really fun to drive hatch was the Alto K10 - it was a rocket and reminded me of jelly bean Zen....
And imagine, all that's needed to fix that handling is 6 years of bare minimum usage(the one I have right now is 6 years old at 20k), and GTO's review mentioning roll confirms what I suspected, that the shocks are kaput. I haven't bothered to overtake anything, because is not the car to do that. Steering took about 5 minutes of expressway driving to adjust to.
I did have a Zen, in purple, bought in 97. The only let down in that car was the puny engine, though it didn't seem so at the time. The correct version of the alto, though, is the short lived 1.1 . Now THAT was brilliant.
Old 19th September 2020, 13:13   #104

Re: Which hatchback has best suspension and road handling?

What about the Honda Brio. How does the car stack up against the others?
Old 19th September 2020, 14:35   #105
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which hatchback has best suspension and road handling?

From my experience U-VA has the best suspension in this list.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks