Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2007, 18:01   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Samurai..right said....When I talk about cars at my workplace I am looked as if I am a stupid guy....

And on top of that...when I tell...I added something after removing some standard fitment, then the situation goes out of control and me turning a extravagent and stupid guy with a irresponsible behaviour

So thats the way the IT world is. There are very few I have come across who really respect their cars and bikes and treat them as a Family member....

They feel for them
WagonR = space to carry large cargo bags to Ariport for on-site trip
Alto = Paisa bachao andolan...Double maza aur kaam daam
Santro = No wagonR so Santro
Palio = Absolute madness and waste
Baleno = cost of 2 palio with equal waste
anything above that = "Bada boss of compant, so company ne diya rahega"

So this is IT

PS - Yes I am in IT
when I was a trainee I bought a second hand Palio 1.2 and
when I got confirmed I bought a new baleno -
so what would you call me??
Old 1st November 2007, 19:25   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I guess you and me will be called by same names (whatever may be) as I have Palio 1.6
Old 1st November 2007, 19:41   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Samurai..right said....When I talk about cars at my workplace I am looked as if I am a stupid guy....
, same here dude , I know how it feels

Quote:
And on top of that...when I tell...I added something after removing some standard fitment, then the situation goes out of control and me turning a extravagent and stupid guy with a irresponsible behaviour
and sometimes ppl will ask me if something is wrong with the car ? why is it making so much noise ? get it serviced
And when I open my mouth to explain the internals and the advantages/disadvantages .. everyone falls asleep , its like talking to a wall.

Quote:
So thats the way the IT world is. There are very few I have come across who really respect their cars and bikes and treat them as a Family member....
I havent met a single person in IT who knows a "F***" abt cars other than TBHP..

Quote:
They feel for them
WagonR = space to carry large cargo bags to Ariport for on-site trip
Alto = Paisa bachao andolan...Double maza aur kaam daam
Santro = No wagonR so Santro
Palio = Absolute madness and waste
Baleno = cost of 2 palio with equal waste
anything above that = "Bada boss of compant, so company ne diya rahega"

So this is IT

PS - Yes I am in IT
most typical responses to our favourite topics:
OHC : what is OHC ?
lancer : are u project manager ?
tuner car : *** are u talking about ?
Any topic related to mods/tuning : what about mileage, followed by what about warranty ?
tyres : I dont go at 200 KMH so Im ok
FFE : noo I dont want to race, I like quiet luxury comfortable cars
suspension : I like soft suspension like a cushion

anything else sends them to sleep...its like hitting them with a tranquiliser dart
Old 1st November 2007, 19:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
If u are an IT guy you have crossed the line, you are beyond help
Old 1st November 2007, 19:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

This is not surprise. Wouldn't a Maruti be the desired vehicle in any sector of people crowded with average to decent salaries. I beleive Maruti wins across all the sectors.
Old 1st November 2007, 19:50   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
I think IT guys will be more exposed to online communities
No dude, I think they are mostly hovering around online forums related to IT , googling for code/solutions/patterns/,....,MSDN, forums etc whatever related to IT, or maybe orkut

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
like tbhp where a lot of factors are being discussed. So they will be more nearer to a correct and wise decision towards buying which car, than those who are not exposed much to the online communities and are relying upon friends/magazines etc.
Usually its the car which fits the budget coz cars dont mean anything other than transport, atleast this is what I have seen till now
Old 1st November 2007, 20:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess you and me will be called by same names (whatever may be) as I have Palio 1.6
Ha Ha, I still take the 1100d to office and the expressions of the people are seen to be believed.

It doesn't ring a bell anywhere that this car has a double wishbone front suspension and has antiroll bars both front and rear, keeps ahead of most of tin boxes, and makes an awesome sound (which is regarded as noise).

However when I take the 1100d for social gatherings consisting of people from diverse backgrounds. We are simply admired at for having kept it that way.

The difference in expressions are really very very contrasting.

Going by that count, I, for one, would not value a car brand just because it is recognised by the IT industry.

However when we talk about Maruti, its quite obvious that they had been toying with our pockets for quite some time on one hand, on the other it has been giving us the peace of mind factor that you are never far away from a Maruti workshop. Of late they are offering nice products at prices that appeal to a certain sweet spot in the mind. Hyundai missing the pricing front completely and Tata being still on the learning curve, is there an alternative to Maruti being the top brand.

But coming back to expressions, one evening I was switching jets and retuning the carb at the office parking lot before going to meet a couple friends, does it need any more from my end to get to what I am hinting at!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
No dude, I think they are mostly hovering around online forums related to IT , googling for code/solutions/patterns/,....,MSDN, forums etc whatever related to IT, or maybe orkut

Usually its the car which fits the budget coz cars dont mean anything other than transport, atleast this is what I have seen till now
I so agree. Couple od IT friends are hell bent at introducing me to the charms of BOSE ("What SONODYNE Uranus are you talking about!" "have you heard about active noise cancelling" "noise is any external sound that comes in, BOSE corrects that")

Last edited by 1100D : 1st November 2007 at 20:09.
Old 1st November 2007, 21:03   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Couple od IT friends are hell bent at introducing me to the charms of BOSE ("What SONODYNE Uranus are you talking about!" "have you heard about active noise cancelling" "noise is any external sound that comes in, BOSE corrects that")
Yes dude you are right. For many, the high end audio experience end at Bose and Car experience at Maruti.
Old 1st November 2007, 21:06   #54
BHPian

Majority of IT people are young, direct into job from campus or walkin. After gathering some money over 2/3 years and easily available finance they plan upgrade from a bike to a car. That too most at the age of 25/26 or so or may be plus one. What do you expect them to buy:
- a reliable VFM entry level car with good comforts having good ***
- an enthusiast car with poor ***
- a much costlier big car
Answer is obvious.

And say after 3/4 years or after getting married they plan to upgrade. So they exchange their existing car (Good Resale as they made correct choice at entry level) and buy themselves a good big car.
If they are
- PLs they buy esteem/city
- Senior Managers Civic/Optra/Lancer
- US returned Senior Manager C class

People in other sectors should be following same trend with some gap in time line plus or minus.

So its not about sector A people preferring a particular brand. I think its across and a small minority from each sector don't follow this trend and go for different set of cars or may be doing mods and extracting that extra juice out of that machine. I love such people but at the same time I want to be practical.
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:23   #55
BHPian

I am an IT Pro and find that most of my team mates come from the same background ie the middle class, So VFM is an important factor. My first car was a second hand Maruti 800. Then when decided to upgrade decided to go in for a Santro as I didn't want to replace a Maruti with another Maruti so Zen was out. But then I did a TD of Matiz and canceled Santro booking and bought a Matiz. I love this car.

Now I plan to upgrade, so I read this forum and took TD of Verna, SX4 and Aveo, in that order as I find a lot of Hyundai fans here and was influenced by them, but after the TD I have dedcided on SX4.

Now do you say about that.

PS:I want a petrol car, otherwise the choice would have been simple and I would have bought an Indigo.
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:50   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
If u are an IT guy you have crossed the line, you are beyond help
yup, I am in IT and people do tell me that . By the way I am priviledged to have 1100D working in the same office (though he is now in Texus for quite sometime, but hopefully he will come back). and he was the only one in the entire office who sported a smile when I entered one day with a changed end can .
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes dude you are right. For many, the high end audio experience end at Bose and Car experience at Maruti.
You make it sound almost apologetic. It is, in fact, reason to rejoice!
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:24   #58
Team-BHP Support

Most of my colleagues feel I am wasting my time being in IT. I should fix punctures by the roadside and help people disturb their neighbors with loud music, exhausts, etc .
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Most of my colleagues feel I am wasting my time being in IT. I should fix punctures by the roadside and help people disturb their neighbors with loud music, exhausts, etc .
What holds you back??

That is the more interesting thought.
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:36   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
What holds you back??
That is the more interesting thought.
Looking for an assistant to throw nails on the road. You would suit perfect. Want to join?

Most Viewed