Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: The New Honda City - Ugly <-> Exquisite
I't ugly, man! 42 65.63%
It's the best... 22 34.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2004, 12:40   #1
BHPian

I think the honda designers/ board or whoever is incharge while analyzing the Indian automobile scene, basically came up with this line of thinking - Look guys, the Santro, the best selling car for years, and we all know the bottom line is the most important THING, so let's just copy its backside and slap it on our ugliest car yet, we'll have a bestseller.

Yes, we Indians get the world's ugliest cars...

mvk
Old 27th July 2004, 12:54   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

GreenHex, Looks are very subjective and to many people (myself included) a car that performs well automatically starts looking better.

The New Honda City offers a level of functionality (reliability, quality, comfort, fuel efficiency, value for money) that surpasses all on offer in that segment. One of the main reasons behind the awkward design is the bias toward function.

I bet that the New Honda City would have sold a lot more cars if it was designed in Hondas typical understated fashion....but then would it have made such a bold statement?

GTO
Old 27th July 2004, 13:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ July 27 2004,11:24)]I bet that the New Honda City would have sold a lot more cars if it was designed in Hondas typical understated fashion....but then would it have made such a bold statement?
Honda would have sold more cars if it was an understated design? There are long waiting list all over the country. Infact Autocar says that people are shifting to other makes because of such delay from Honda's side.
As far as new design is concern, I think it is too radical a design for Indian consumer to digest so fast. It'll take it's own time like others, ie Santro and WagonR.
Old 27th July 2004, 15:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't like the looks that much, but one of the reasons it looks like that is bcoz, on the inside, it just has no competition in it's class.

It's got the space and the finish of a C+ segment car. The boot is the biggest i've ever seen, rear knee room is mind blowing.

What Honda has done, is that they've built a car which is similar to the old city in terms of body dimensions, but offers much more space and comforts for a lesser price.

most other Indian cars including the Vtec, have one thing that makes the car great. But the NHC has just one flaw in it. Everything else is better than average.

Even in terms of performance, it's on par with cars like the Ikon, Accent, Lancer 1.5 etc. Interms of FE, &quot;&quot;MY GOD&quot;&quot; it blows them into the weeds.

The car looks ugly and i've voted for the first option, but as a car, it rules.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 27th July 2004, 16:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey i kinda like the nhc, put on some alloys and skrits, it looks really hot!
and rudra you r right, when i took the car i had to wait just 25 days *even though i was promsied an instant delivery

and as of now the in hyd it has a 3 months waiting period!!!!!! may be thats the reason i am seeing so many *new black 1.6 optras around

heck sames the thing for skoda, and i get to see many elantras these days

Old 27th July 2004, 17:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ July 27 2004,15:21)]heck sames the thing for skoda, and i get to see many elantras these days
Elantras! Sometimes I think Hyundai's only raison-de-etre is to litter the beautiful Indian landscape with UGLY UGLY UGLY cars...
Old 27th July 2004, 17:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

The car is UGLY. Plain and simple. In fact, saying that the city is ugly is insulting the word ugly!
Old 27th July 2004, 19:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GreenHex @ July 27 2004,11:10)]Yes, we Indians get the world's ugliest cars...
There are many good looking cars on our roads, including the old Lancer for such a comment to be passed. Yes, I hate the Santro's looks, but, it's selling well because Hyundai India have marketed it very well. The same cannot be said about the Fiat Palio, which is definitely the best hatchback in our country.

Coming back to the new Honda City, I definitely don't like its looks. But, its not the ugliest car I've seen either. So it's going to be a null vote from me.

Old 27th July 2004, 20:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well....as far as i'm concerned...the City looks very odd and i'm right now not able to digest it....maybe in time...
Old 28th July 2004, 14:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well,in true of my opinions it uglyyyy.
I mean c`mon,wot the hell were Hondas tryna design??
Its acceptable that the car has a good mileage,its spacious and huge from the inside,but then looks make a lotta difference(atleast for me,and i guess many BHPians).
The car is aimed at the masses and its duin well amongst em.I guess its gonna replace Santro and M800 as the next bread n butter car.

As far as the long waiting is concerned,i guess Honda themselves did`nt expect to sell that amount of units.

Old 28th July 2004, 14:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

i dont know why all feel the NHC is much more fuel efficient than than the old city

the NHC gives 12 with ac in city...highway 16-17
old 1.3 was also 11.5 ...highway 15-16
old 1.5 was 10.5 highways 15-16
vtec was close to 11- 12 in city ..under normal driving highways 15-16

plus the old city's had performance also ,, even the 1.3 city

Its only Honda's marketing tha the new NHC is vvvv fuel efficient.

what say guys???
Old 28th July 2004, 15:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Its only Honda's marketing tha the new NHC is vvvv fuel efficient.

what say guys???
Not really, when Overdrive tested the car under ideal conditions, it gave FE figures of 16 kmpl in City and 27 kmpl on the highway. Let me add, that all the cars tested for FE &quot;by OD&quot; are done under the same conditions and only the Accent crdi and the M800 have been able to match the NHC's efficiency.

When Autocar tests their cars, they do it under normal conditions, conditions you and me experience everyday, but the problem with this is that the conditions aren't constant, even the slightest changes in driving style or traffic can make a lot of difference.

While you say the NHC gives no more than 12 kmpl in the city, i have personally met people who claim they have achieved a FE figure of 15+ under city conditions.

Regards...
Shan2nu

Old 28th July 2004, 16:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

i get 14+ incity with a/c, dont know abt highways though
Old 28th July 2004, 19:21   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (dipen @ July 28 2004,12:51)]the NHC gives 12 with ac in city...highway 16-17
Hey Dipen,

Is yours a CVT or a manual transmission?

cya
R
Old 29th July 2004, 01:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

rehaan,

I dont own a 4 wheeler yet...
with all yr best wishes , will get one soon.

Yr MERC for sale is superb man ..its sad u have to sell it,
Btw, if i may ask, what will be the replacement for yr merc

the FE figures for the city were given by my friends who own these vehicles and have a decent CIty run in bombay.

the vtec mileage was give by a friend who bought second hand 2001 model for 5.25 from icibahn
i told him abt the experience gto had with them, he was horrified , but his car was lucky enough

his vtec returns 11.5 in city driving 40 km daily

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks