Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2007, 09:40   #1

Baleno - what's the right price?

I am trying to buy a Baleno since I like the car though it is a "old" model. I have seen some raving reviews of Baleno. My questions to BHPians -
1. Is it worth buying a 2004/2005 model now considering the age factor?
2. I plan to keep it for 4 - 5 years. Is it likely that I face any issues with spares etc (not likely since it is Maruti, but still . . .) ?
3. What should be the price for a reasonably well maintained vxi model?
Old 16th September 2007, 14:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. Is it worth buying a 2004/2005 model now considering the age factor? Yes
2. I plan to keep it for 4 - 5 years. Is it likely that I face any issues with spares etc (not likely since it is Maruti, but still . . .) ? You wont face any issues.
3. What should be the price for a reasonably well maintained vxi model? Around 4.75L for a 2005 model
Old 16th September 2007, 20:13   #3

Thanks for the quick response. Really appreciate that.
Old 16th September 2007, 21:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Have no fear, baleno is a great car & will not give you any problems. price could vary from 4L to 4.5L depending on the car.
Old 17th September 2007, 02:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What should be the price for a reasonably well maintained vxi model?
1. I'll cut to the chase in a while:

I've seen great difference in Vxi and Lxi prices in true value showrooms. For example, in March this year, I saw a black Vxi '05, 20k run, sold at 4,90,000/- at the True value in Hyderabad (Rajbhavan Road, Somajiguda, don't remember the dealer name) whereas the Lxi variant Pearl silver '05 (almost same mileage and same dealer) was priced at Rs. 4,50,000/-.

The point is, 1Lac difference has depreciated way too much since they're all accessories (except C-A/C). Besides, for the difference you can pick up awesome alloys (if you're ok with non-climatic A/C and power antenna) and the spoiler would cost about 10-12k from Maruti. IMO, Lxi is a better buy.

2. The resale value of KK cars is much higher (even though AP has higher Road Tax), one in Bangalore True Value '05 Pearl silver Lxi 23-25k done was @4,95,000/-. So don't compare prices from different states, even if the road tax is higher on the other side.

3. A Vxi '05 in Bangalore should be around 4.75 - 5.00L.

Hope these points help you.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 17th September 2007 at 02:39.
Old 17th September 2007, 11:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Off topic,
Can anybody tell the price of a new Power antenna ? either from maruti(baleno, esteem) or Hyundai(accent).
I'm planning to fit it on my Honda city

Oh yeah similar thread exists
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...r-antenna.html

Last edited by sushrutha : 17th September 2007 at 12:08. Reason: similar thread exists for my query
Old 17th September 2007, 13:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

I recently got my Baleno April 2005, Vxi with all bells and whistles for 4.6L after hard burgaining from True Value(Pratham Motors). And when I called different True value outlets Bangalore I got pretty different qoutes(negotiable) from all of them,

5Lakh Vxi Pearl Silver 17.8Kkm Pratham ORR (this one I bought)

5lakh Vxi pearl silver 40Kkm pratham Rajaji Nagar

4.65l Lxi pearl silver 23Kkm bimal

5.25 Lxi black 15Kkm mandovi
Also have seen a 2006 Vxi only 6kkm run, going for just 5.25 L. I was late by just one day

Hope this helps.
Regards
Kaushik
Old 17th September 2007, 13:37   #8

Certainly it helps, thanks pal. Yesterday went to see one LXI 2005, Black, 18K km. He had quoted 4.5. When I reached the place, the gentleman had just finished the deal and was actually receiving an advance . . . missed it by an hour perhaps . . .

Did not feel like asking how much he settled it for.
Old 17th September 2007, 14:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

@Kaushik....
Did u sell your Zen ?
Old 17th September 2007, 15:37   #10
BHPian

Baleno Queries

I was searching for a Baleno and found one 2005 Dec manufactured [2006 Jan Registered] LXi model which has done 10,000 Kms. It is a True Value one. They are quoting 4.5 L. The rear bumper and the rear left side panels were painted and they told me that there were some scratches and they did some touch up job. It is in stock condition [Bridgestone tube tyres, no seat covers, basic music system]. Insurance will expire in Jan 2008.

I did a test drive with 5 adults and there were no rattles and the engine was smooth. I have the following queries:
  1. One of my friend who sat in the rear centre told me that the seat is very hard [because of Centre Armrest] and he told me that it will be painful for long drives. Can I get rid of it using good seat covers? If yes then how much will they cost?
  2. Do I have to take a mechanic and get it examined? As I do not know any good Mechanic [I used to give my car to Maruti Service Centre only]. Can any one from Hyderabad refer a good Mechanic?
  3. Is it true that all True Value cars will be painted to cover the scratch marks?
  4. Is the price reasonable?
  5. Is Automatic Climate Control a default equipment in VXi or is it an add-on?
  6. Changing to 5th and Reverse gears was not smooth. I had to try 2-3 times to change to that gears. Is it normal?
I would appreciate if you guys clarify my queries at the earliest.
Old 17th September 2007, 16:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
@Kaushik....
Did u sell your Zen ?
Yes Sushurtha, I had to let her go. But I didn't get a good deal like you got. Got only 1.25L, may be if I had to sell to a individual then would've got more.
Old 17th September 2007, 16:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varma View Post
  1. One of my friend who sat in the rear centre told me that the seat is very hard [because of Centre Armrest] and he told me that it will be painful for long drives. Can I get rid of it using good seat covers? If yes then how much will they cost?
  2. Do I have to take a mechanic and get it examined? As I do not know any good Mechanic [I used to give my car to Maruti Service Centre only]. Can any one from Hyderabad refer a good Mechanic?
  3. Is it true that all True Value cars will be painted to cover the scratch marks?
  4. Is the price reasonable?
  5. Is Automatic Climate Control a default equipment in VXi or is it an add-on?
  6. Changing to 5th and Reverse gears was not smooth. I had to try 2-3 times to change to that gears. Is it normal?
I would appreciate if you guys clarify my queries at the earliest.
1. You can get rid of the armrest, but I don't think it is as uncomfortable as your friend says it is. Please don't get custom cushioning or anything.
2. If it is true value, I doubt whether they'll let you do it. IMO, not required.
3. No. They only repaint noticeable damages.
4. Yes. Definitely. But bargaining always helps.
5. Standard on Vxi, N/A on Lxi
6. Normal, very normal.
Old 17th September 2007, 16:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

1. One of my friend who sat in the rear centre told me that the seat is very hard [because of Centre Armrest] and he told me that it will be painful for long drives. Can I get rid of it using good seat covers? If yes then how much will they cost? I'm not sure if you can get it rid of it wholly.
  2. Do I have to take a mechanic and get it examined? As I do not know any good Mechanic [I used to give my car to Maruti Service Centre only]. Can any one from Hyderabad refer a good Mechanic? Better you take some mechanic with you to inspect the car.
  3. Is it true that all True Value cars will be painted to cover the scratch marks? I don't think so, only if there is a noticeable dent/scratch then they would do it.
  4. Is the price reasonable? Price seems ok.Check Carwale.com and figure.
  5. Is Automatic Climate Control a default equipment in VXi or is it an add-on? AFAIK it comes with the 2006 Vxi as default.
  6. Changing to 5th and Reverse gears was not smooth. I had to try 2-3 times to change to that gears. Is it normal? Yeah, I too found the reverse gear sometimes sticky.But other gears are working fine in my car.Even the same case was with my Zen also.
regards,
Kaushik

Last edited by kaushik_s : 17th September 2007 at 16:44.
Old 17th September 2007, 17:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ok from the mouth of a fellow baleno owner.

One of my friend who sat in the rear centre told me that the seat is very hard [because of Centre Armrest] and he told me that it will be painful for long drives. Can I get rid of it using good seat covers? If yes then how much will they cost?

Yes you can and all it takes is to remove the arm-rest off the seat, cover the same with foam and put on a seat cover.IMO dont do it.

Do I have to take a mechanic and get it examined? As I do not know any good Mechanic [I used to give my car to Maruti Service Centre only]. Can any one from Hyderabad refer a good Mechanic?

Recommended that you take a mechanic along. True value cars come with a 1 year warranty.( Correct me if am wrong folks)

Is it true that all True Value cars will be painted to cover the scratch marks?

Maybe True value did it to ensure the car is free of these niggles.
I saw a 2nd hand car dealer do it this morning on my way to work. So me thinks its not only true value

Is the price reasonable?
The hyderabad folks should be able to clarify on that. Here in bangy 2nd cars are a little expensive.

Is Automatic Climate Control a default equipment in VXi or is it an add-on?

Its a standard fitment on the VXI's.

Changing to 5th and Reverse gears was not smooth. I had to try 2-3 times to change to that gears. Is it normal?

I face the same problem. You will get used to it, it aint that big a problem.
Old 17th September 2007, 17:58   #15
BHPian

Thank you Raghu, Kaushik and RJStyles for your quick replies.

If I leave the armrest as it is and go for a good seat covers with extra foam [if required] in the centre will it be comfortable for three people [mainly centre person] in long journeys? I do lot of long journeys and the back seat will be occupied by my parents [aged 55+] and I have a 1.5 year old kid who prefers either front seat or rear window seat. So, I do not want my parents to be suffered.

Also, tell me some good model seat covers and their prices.

PS: Please pardon my ignorance and asking so may questions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks