Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2004, 22:27   #46
BANNED

Vtec??

shan2nu siena may be better but baleno is better in performance how much time does a petra take for 0 -100?? the balenos advertisement goes as performance n the petra its price siena wont be able to beat a baleno the baleno will handle better than petra.. anywayz.. shan2nu is ur vtec still in warranty?? or the warranty peroid is over.. u have 2001 model n i guess warranty was 2 yrs..? am i right??
Old 30th December 2004, 22:42   #47
Senior - BHPian

Yup warranty for my car is over now. That means only one thing, time to get some performance parts on it.

Shan2nu
Old 30th December 2004, 22:49   #48
BANNED

exactly wat i meant y dont u mod ur vtec?? intrestin to noe if domnics gtech will be able to test a 0-100 in 5 secs
Old 30th December 2004, 23:54   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

here are the timings by ACI -
baleno - 0-100 = 11.13 secs
0 - 60 = 4.92 s
top speed - 185
20 - 80 - 12.9 secs
40 - 100 - 18.7 secs
torque = 13.4 kgm

petra - 0-100 = 11.57s
0 - 60 = 4.62sec
top speed = 189
20 - 80 = 12.7sec
40 - 100 = 19.7 sec
torque = 14kgm

so its like u win some loose some ...
price - ex showroom - petra el - with 175\14r rubber = 4.78
baleno lxi with same rubber = 6.10 ( not including alloys)
all prices are ex showroom bombay

so its like a win soe loose some ....
strengths of siena over baleno are - safer
comfortable
bigger boot
better built
better quality interiors
looks
price

strengths of baleno are - FE
a.s.s
a bit bigger then petra as the petra has a higher seat so the baleno feels just a bit bigger
straight line performance

so as an overall car, the petra seems a better buy as their a.s.s. is also improving ... slowly but still improving

cheers
lambo
Old 31st December 2004, 09:24   #50
Senior - BHPian

For a person looking for a complete car that is safe, FE with loads of space would eventually end up with a NHC, Petra, Indigo, Accord etc. But, for performance nuts like most of us, plain jane cars like the Baleno, Vtec, Mondeo, Skoda RS etc, will be in greater demand.

When performance becomes you're sole reason to buy a car. Things like FE, Value for money seem to get a bit more distant than they would usually be.

Shan2nu
Old 31st December 2004, 09:27   #51
Team-BHP Support

All we can do is recommend, at the end of the day, it is upto you to buy what feels right for you. i.e Aishweraya Rai may not be the perfoect wife for everybody !
Old 31st December 2004, 11:58   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

hey shan2nu ...
i agree with u there but im saying about a car that is perfect for everybody ...
like when i buy a car, im trying to get something with good FE and comfort .... that is ofcourse as long as i have a speedster alongside ....
oh and i think they may launch the new mondeo with a better crdi engine to meet with the norms ...
that should be intresting and i wont be surprised if it is better then the durateq petrol ...
but i think the bumper looks ugly and the interiors are so-so - a bit more luxurious not young
Old 31st December 2004, 12:01   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

oh ....
if u do mod ure VTEC ....
then ill be coming to bangy very very soon for a drive ...
Old 31st December 2004, 13:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hmm...I have not compared Baleno V/s Petra myself. But from what I have read, Petra can't be beaten in straight line drag. Lambo, are you sure about Baleno's 0-100 time? Last time I checked ACI, only one coming closer to Petra was Ford Ikon SXI.
Old 31st December 2004, 14:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i agree with u there but im saying about a car that is perfect for everybody
That car, unfortunately, has yet to be made. No car in this world is perfect for everyone.

While the Mclaren F1 would be a dream for straightline buffs, an Exige would do wonders around a twisty tight track.

While a Hummer would take you to any destination you wished to go, using what ever route you desired at the cost of 1 mile to the gallon, a Honda Insight or a Toyota Prius will manage to take you 10 times that distance.

Shan2nu
Old 31st December 2004, 16:01   #56
BHPian

I myself drive a baleno. When i had a chance to choose the car i directly choosed the baleno as i had a eye on it the day it was launched, but because of the price point i was never even supose to touch it. When MS announced the price cut then i was owning a Santro which was 1.3yrs old. i immediatly sold that and got the Beast Baleno. Belive me it has a supurb acceleration compare to any other car in that segment. Only thing i felt lacking is the ABS, which for such an acceleration the ABS is must. One more important aspect in baleno is the excelent milaege which i get around 12 in city. but when i rip i get only 9. I have fitted 14"HR 7spoke Mags with 205/? R14 Yokohama ES100 tires. and a Lancer spoiler with light. Oh and my car is Black !!. Well the most important aspect which i feel a guy has to consider when he is buying is the after sale service. Belive me it is W important. I get a excelent response form the M service guys.

Last edited by tabrez02 : 31st December 2004 at 16:04.
Old 31st December 2004, 18:08   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

hey rx ...
im sure of the balenos times ....
but thats because it comes with lighter tires and is lighter car ....
hey tabrez would like to see some pics of your car ..
sounds intresting ...
hey shan2nu ...
one day the perfect car will be invented
but till then is the sub 5 lak category the petra is the best unless u care about economy ....
dont u guys think it will be nice for fiat to launch a petra 1.2 for its economy ...
hey rx
i think u are kinda confused out here
so from what uve heard which one will u go for...
and shan2nu as an OVERALL car which one would u pick up if u were in the place rx is in ...
Old 31st December 2004, 20:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

Lambo, absolutely no doubt in my mind. It is going to be Petra. I don't give a damn to resale value. I can afford a Yamaha RX, so I can afford running Fiat Petra too :P

I was curious, since last time I checked Baleno's time, it was 12 or 13 odd seconds. Petra always was 11.xx sec.

Anyway, when it comes to my purchase, I am looking for a better car in all respects. A complete engineering package. And that does not include a/s/s and resale. If Baleno is proved better I will have no hesitation in going for it. Till now I have not come across any good reason.

I am not confined to sub 5 Lakh car. I am looking for any good new car till 7.5L. But I dont find additional 2.5 L worth for NHC or 1.25 L worth on Baleno.
Old 31st December 2004, 21:04   #59
BANNED

well baleno is staright line is way ahead then petra get to of them n go for a drag n the petra will eat dust of baleno as baleno takes one shift to 110.. whereas the petra will have to atleast 2 if not more.. baleno is alwayz consistent in 11secs.. but the petra i guess takes 12 or more..tabrez plz show sum pics of ur car so if i c it ill get cautioned : and shantanu perfect car is Accent CRDI it has everything u need performance economy confort stability.. n u can get ABS optional hyundia offers.. shan2nu me in ur catergory but wat to do nowadayz indian roads are in such a gud condition u need a gud suspension n ride should be gud + my nhc scrapes most breakers.. well shan2nu wen u moddin ur vtec me moddin my nhc lets have sum exchange of thoughts??
Old 1st January 2005, 01:51   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

hey rx thats kinda cool...
get it soon ....
fasbond while the balenos good in a straight line, no baleno can take on a petra everyday ....
the petra has more torque, better handling and is a better car ....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks