Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2007, 19:20   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Sunitha,

Zappo suggested a PIL. Is this something that can be launched seamlessly by a common man? I wouldnt mind teaming up with like-minded people toward launching such a PIL, subject to numbers.
Old 17th September 2007, 19:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Sunitha,

Zappo suggested a PIL. Is this something that can be launched seamlessly by a common man? I wouldnt mind teaming up with like-minded people toward launching such a PIL, subject to numbers.
Count me in tooo.
(20 Characters)
Old 17th September 2007, 20:32   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Sunitha,

Guys count me in. Its high time we speak. Fedup of paying all these taxes.
Old 17th September 2007, 23:52   #34
BHPian

Somebody in this thread, I think it was Zappo said that lets vote out the Govt. A very nice idea indeed.

I wish to know that during general elections if no individual votes i.e there is not even a single vote cast then what happens?

Last edited by GTO : 18th September 2007 at 10:39. Reason: No abusive language on Team-BHP...whether directly or indirectly!!
Old 18th September 2007, 00:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
I wish to know that during general elections if no individual votes i.e there is not even a single vote cast then what happens?
Not only is it impossible but I think it is illegal to discourage someone from voting though I am not sure about that. What you can do is have all the peole cast voided ballots and if there are enough votes that are void, then EC will take suitable action.

OT:

I don't know why the well learned FM comes up with hare brained ideas like these. There is enough money out there to fund so many development projects... if only the politicians and babu's let the money reach the people. Recently a public works bureaucratin AP was caught having disproportionate income of 1.5 crores. Of it 1 cr. was the registered land value which means it is worth atleast 10 - 15 crores or even more. This is where the 8% cess will go.

Couple of years back the same well learned FM levied 2% cess on petrol to fund primary and secondary education. After two years there is 0 visible improvement.
Old 18th September 2007, 09:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

There will many other who will vote so this situation might not arise but if you dont vote, the better amongst the lot might not win and you do not want the worst to win.

So its in everyone's interest to vote for the better candidate and you should vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
Old 18th September 2007, 10:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

this has got to be a joke on the road users. the state of our highways is pathetic, and we already pay a part of every litre of fuel for them. some of the GQ rds are not yet completed and the other NH's are worse. The additional amount we pay through education cess, VAT, toll tax etc are all scams to eat away your money without a accountable response from the govt. Voting another govt in or out is not the answer. what is required is accountability and heads rolling.
Old 18th September 2007, 10:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

This is so so Pathetic :(

I read it in the headlines today ( TOI ). What does the damn govt. want now - they are imposing more and more taxes and the overall Living expenses have been going up - Govt. thinks it is Japan or America - I do not mind paying all this extra but at least give us the Basic Infrastructure - Freakin govt of our ours.

This is the last thing we need - another 8 % hike in cars.

Also latest cement prices up by 3 - 4 rupees per bag. Now increase of houses by a few laks accross. OUR GOVERNMENT SUCKS !! PERIOD !!!
Old 18th September 2007, 11:39   #39
BHPian

I would like introduce another angle to it. govt. is ultimate athority and controlling power in this country. how they have been playing with us let's see how they contol the way we spend our money.

Public transport: if the public transport is good in any country people dont want to buy cars (ok may be one). for example in japan maximum people use metro trains for commuting. similarly in new york. they have cars but only which suits their taste.another reason no parking space.

now in India govt. gets its large chunk of revenue (Excise duty, road tax etc.)from selling cars and more on petrol , insurance (the govt. takes a big cut from the insurance companies and all the large cos. are PSUs. don't forget the money they make from the manufacturers( very subjective so i won't go there)

Now the question is why discouraging people from buying when it is so profitable.

Finacial Institutions: they are one of the main culprits here i believe 90%
of the buyers get their cars financed and very happy about it. first thing any addition to cost will add on the finance cost which means your car is more expensive. secondly they entice you first to get a loan(cradit card, home loans, personal loans) it is ok if you understand the finances well but most of us dont. the logic is clear.

why you want to spend your hard earned money on a bad investment( cars, electronics, prices gets slashed from the day one)
it was going too easy for us to get a car so this happens.now what it does that it gives you more purchasing power at the onset but it actually makes you an EMI slave.

Traditional in india people used to invest in gold and land. those were long term investments. people almost never touched it till the time there was any emergency.

see in that scenarion there is no role of any bank.you work earn save and buy.
now what banks want they want us liquidate our investment and put the money on risk for small time gains(SIPs, shares, mutual Funds and LIC Policies) so the money is out in the market and working for them and govt.i am sure so many people must be having dmat accounts here.

First you get used to it and then they will change their prices or terms.See what happened to Home Loans. home loans were so low 5 years back that encouraged people to buy homes. not one but many it was good investment because prices were going only up.Govt. was always aware of that they allowed us till the time they wanted but suddenly price went up so high because people had easy money to buy more than one house.(specifically in gurgaon and delhi) so they raised the home loan prices drastically. now the genuine buyer is gone from the market. only traders are left.

reason they dont want us to invest us in long term because the liquadity goes .
people always under price their investment to save money on registration and stamp duty so less profit for govt.

that is why now they have circle rates for registration.

Last reason is Infrastructure: they dont have the infrastruction to take care of so many cars and they don't want to touch their revenue earned on development but they want the money from us. what ever happens whether it is pollution or traffic they put the cost on people. for example when CNG was introduced in India. first thing they did was told all the transporters and poor auto wallas to convert and stand in long lines for refilling. they made money there also.

but if we take the example of china where they have designated the days when you can drive your even or odd no. cars.

so less traffic and less polution.
there buses are so big and comfortable that nobody wants to drive.(buses with bogey)so less no. of cars. where as in india we have RTV which are adding more traffic and more danger on the road as their carrying people like animals.

in the west they specific car pool lanes to encourage peple. so again less pollution and less traffic.

Bhavnao mein beh gaya yaar jyada hi likh diya. sorry for such a long post.
Old 18th September 2007, 11:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

msharma - very nice explanation - and yes all of us feel the same way about this.

All I can say is that we shall hope for the best and I hope all these stupid politicians may rot in hell

One day all of us have to meet our fate ( up above ) - that will be the day when these govt. idiots shall suffer.

In the meanwhile I hope the new car launches ( fabia / PA etc. ) price their cars right.
Old 18th September 2007, 12:01   #41

I think you guys are expecting too much from our FM in terms of being rational. The single point agenda is how much revenue can be collected. The present FM when he not in power happens to be senior counsel who argues cases in the supreme court. The going rate charged by any senior counsel is between 2 to 5 lakhs per apperance. Take an average of 3 to 5 apperances a day and thats an earning of 15 Lakhs a day.

How do you expect people earning enough to buy an Accord every day to understand what any salaried person puts into his car which costs half of that and which is on an average, a years salary?

Just be happy that is 8% and not closer to something like 25% for a D segment car.

And while I am all for voting out governments, somehow I dont think any subsequent one will be better than this one. After all we are not talking about onion prices that governments will take a interest in rolling back.

The PIL sounds like a better idea though. Off the thread did anyone see the news that the Supreme Court is hearing a case against SBI challenging the pre payment penalty charged by banks. I have my fingers crossed. If this one works out we all wont have to pay 5% when we forclose our car loans.
Old 18th September 2007, 13:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv Menon View Post
Just be happy that is 8% and not closer to something like 25% for a D segment car.

And while I am all for voting out governments, somehow I dont think any subsequent one will be better than this one. After all we are not talking about onion prices that governments will take a interest in rolling back.
Right said Rajiv !!! Other one that comes would be the same or even worst.

As I said all we can do is hope for the best. Also I would not care as long as our Incomes also go up ( which nowadays is faling deeper than most of our bollywood necklines )
Old 18th September 2007, 13:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv Menon View Post
Off the thread did anyone see the news that the Supreme Court is hearing a case against SBI challenging the pre payment penalty charged by banks. I have my fingers crossed. If this one works out we all wont have to pay 5% when we forclose our car loans.
Mostly things get settled in the court and this shows the weakness of the constitution, parliament, policies!
Old 18th September 2007, 15:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Well this tax rule is going to become one of the reasons for their downfall...people should stand up to their rights and block such a law. A salaried guy spends his entire life following the laws and paying taxes and sweating it out paying emi's and the rich just find ways to bend laws and not pay taxes. MORAL is rich get richer and salaried people lead a life where their children usually follow up in the same cycle.
About not voting if one person does not vote there is someone who usually ends up voting in his name. Sounds ridiculous but this is true and happens even in cities like bangalore and i know couple of friends who had done fake voting!!!
The previous election all the people in our place actually supported a guy to come to power thinking that they would get better facilities and roads and what happens is he has not done anything. Worse of all the roads are not present and dad keeps complaining coz he just had an operation and he has to drive really slow as it can hurt him. I cant change gears to the fourth while going to town for 20kms and we talk about taxes for the betterment!!!
Am confused as to which party to vote for in the next election!!
All are pucca chors no one is interested in working. Guess its high time we get someone who will work or who will make the leaders realise ki hamara nahin chalega....
By the way which politician has voluntarily declared assets??? All they show is few lakhs but what about the crores they eat away??
Old 18th September 2007, 18:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

India's contribution to Oxford dictionary this year:

'Cessed out' meaning: a constant state of being taxed, at times even resulting in irrational, criminal behaviour.

Coming back..the government should be looking at private investors for development of trasport infrastructure in India. We the driving/riding public are cessed out as it is. We pay hefty toll fees day in and day out, buy heavily taxed cars, fill our tanks with taxed fuel and continue to suffer on potholed roads (yes, a tax for that too)

Lets be objective. Roads (national highways) are getting better, but at snails pace. Where is all the rest of the 'cess' going? Except for the Delhi metro and those rapid transport buses, has the government done anything to improve public transport?? several plans for metros in various cities were talked about years back. By the time they are completed (not even started) they will be obsolete and stretched for capacity.

PIL...? oh yesss please!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks