Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2007, 18:18   #1
BHPian

Effects of warranty on selling the car.

Mods:Not sure this has been discussed before....atleast i didnot find any thing relevent.Please merge/move the thread to appropiate place.

hi,

just came across the fine print of the 3yr/1L km warrenty of chevrolet. It says "3 yrs or 1L kms whichever is earlier to the first owner".
So does that mean that if i buy/sell a 1 yr old chevy vehicle, the second owner will not get the warrenty?

What is the case with other manufacturers?
Isnt this kind of cheating.
What does warrenty has to do with the owner?

Any anyone throw some light on this?

Regards,
Old 17th September 2007, 20:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

If it says so , the warranty will be valid for first owner only, probably only 1 year warranty will be valid for the second buyer. Check with the service/showroom ppl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
just came across the fine print of the 3yr/1L km warrenty of chevrolet. It says "3 yrs or 1L kms whichever is earlier to the first owner".
So does that mean that if i buy/sell a 1 yr old chevy vehicle, the second owner will not get the warrenty?
Old 17th September 2007, 20:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

It will be valid for the time given to the buyer to as many 2nd, 3rd owners.
Old 17th September 2007, 20:20   #4
BHPian

Tata also does not transfer Warranty or Extended Warranty other than to First Owner.
Old 18th September 2007, 01:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

Despite all the brickbats that are aimed at Ford, let me enlighten those here that Extended Warranty on a Ford vehicle CAN be passed on to the next owner.
Old 18th September 2007, 10:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

@AM Each manufacturer has its own policy, thats why i suggested that you check with GM directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
If it says so , the warranty will be valid for first owner only, probably only 1 year warranty will be valid for the second buyer. Check with the service/showroom ppl.

Last edited by dadu : 18th September 2007 at 10:08.
Old 18th September 2007, 10:43   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It is outright cheap for a manufacturer to not transfer warranty on sale of the vehicle. What can possibly be the logic behind this?
Old 18th September 2007, 11:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It is outright cheap for a manufacturer to not transfer warranty on sale of the vehicle. What can possibly be the logic behind this?

This is the same case with almost all manufacturers, even in computers/electronics segments...warranty is non transferable.
Old 18th September 2007, 13:16   #9
BHPian

i dont know much abt other manufacturers(of electronic products), but I do have seen ppl sell there TV/fridge saying still under warrenty!
and AFAIK the warrenty document of none of my electrical /electronic equipment mention that the warrenty is valid only for the first owner.

Regards,
Old 18th September 2007, 13:47   #10
BHPian

Well thats because unlike automobiles (RTO), we do not 'register' ourselves anywhere...try buying a used laptop under warranty and claiming warranty..its going to be an issue...

I am not sure about refridgerators, but branded computers sure do not allow transfer of warranty
Old 18th September 2007, 13:51   #11
Team-BHP Support

See its like this. Normally, when you take the car for its free service (within warranty period) they replace any reported faulty component free of cost. In these cases they do not ask you to furnish your identity and establish that you are the person who bought the new car. I am sure it will work the same with GM.

Here the problem is a little different though. We are talking about a 3 year warranty. This type of warranty (extended) is normally given through the insurance route. They basically take out a policy against the 1st buyer's name to cover the car for the extended period. Any cost of replacement or repair is borne by the insurance company from whom the manufacturer recovers the cost.

The insurance people in turn have their own rules under which they grant such a warranty (say, the car will not used for racing or any other unintended purposes, will not be used for commercial purposes etc). One such rule probably says that the policy is valid only for the holder of the said policy (the 1st buyer). Any claim will require the policy holder to sign on the claims form. So the company can not do much in such cases. They do not get the coverage from the insurance guys in case of resale cars and hence they can not extend it to the subsequent buyers.
Old 18th September 2007, 15:26   #12
BHPian

I thought that none of the manufacturers transfer extended warranty. Maruti does not.
Old 18th September 2007, 16:05   #13
BHPian

so Zappo, rohan_fonseca,
what you are saying is that the "Extended Warrenty" is non transfarable.
But what abt the default warrenty. Is that transferable?

Regards,
Old 21st September 2007, 02:13   #14
BHPian

As far as i know default warranty is not transferable either
Old 21st September 2007, 13:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As far as i know default warranty is not transferable either
Its transferable in GM cars AFAIK.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks