Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2007, 21:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Crash testing need not be an expensive affair. Manufacturers just need to give their cars to CALL CENTRE cab drivers.

hahahaha... ..thats a good one!

About time they made these tests mandatory. Road sense won't change, but safer cars would definitely save many lives.
Old 18th September 2007, 21:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

as far as i believe crash tests should have been made compulsory a long time back, but since the pay offs and the car manufacturers finding it expensive to perform these tests dont get it done.. ARAI in pune does all other tests except for the crash test.
now since the 1 lac car is comming up and bajaj and others jumping in to make cheaper cars the government should hold their guns on this decision for the betterment of the people. if they do want to find a cheaper way they just need to give the cars to a BLUELINE DRIVER, or like TORQY says call centre cab driver. all cars would probably fail the crash test.
Old 18th September 2007, 21:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Either ways,I'm sure the best way out is to hand over a stack of currency,and the officials would shut up and let things be. If they are serious about implementing this rule,then its definitely a good move. My feeling's that with all the corruption, the crash-test requirement will vanish into oblivion in no time.
Old 18th September 2007, 23:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Most of the cars with a body-on-frame type chassis will get thrown out.
Only monocoques will be allowed from now on.
What a welcome change!
Old 19th September 2007, 03:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Tata has an inhouse crash-testing facility comparable with the best in the world. Moreover cars like the Ford Ikon are already crash tested at origin.
Old 19th September 2007, 09:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
ARAI in pune does all other tests except for the crash test.
But I saw the crash test facility at ARAI way long ago in 2001, I still believe they do use it.
Old 19th September 2007, 11:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

It is not mandatory in india as of now so it doesnt make a difference whether a vehicle fails or passes it. India follows a much lower standards in terms of the required safety tests for cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
But I saw the crash test facility at ARAI way long ago in 2001, I still believe they do use it.
Old 19th September 2007, 11:43   #23
BHPian

A bit off-topic though.

When i wanted to choose between a Safari and a Bolero, i just did a mental calculation of all the call centre Indicas and Sumos that crash everyday and wait for repair at the Tata service centres.

It didn't look like Tata will have time for me.
Old 19th September 2007, 12:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

this is weird logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
A bit off-topic though.

When i wanted to choose between a Safari and a Bolero, i just did a mental calculation of all the call centre Indicas and Sumos that crash everyday and wait for repair at the Tata service centres.

It didn't look like Tata will have time for me.
Old 19th September 2007, 12:48   #25
BHPian

Welcome move.but a big but.

question are..

1. Are they going to reduce the taxes at international level? I think they should copy entire thing rather not those only which have not adverse affect on their revenue and excluding those which are not beneficial to them like lower tax, better roads etc.
2. As a contradiction move I have seen in TV channel that Maharashtra Govn putting a speed governor on all the vehicle to restrict the speed 65 max. Now I am confused whether crash test mandatory policy is real move or this move?
3. What about two wheelers? R they safe enough that no policy is required for them as of now?

who will answer above questions?
Old 19th September 2007, 14:59   #26
BANNED

Omni is selling in numbers even more than M800. What will Maruti do ?
Old 19th September 2007, 15:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Tata has an inhouse crash-testing facility comparable with the best in the world. Moreover cars like the Ford Ikon are already crash tested at origin.
if cars like the ford ikon are crash tested at origin then i dont think they are doing a good job at it. then definately ford cars are out for me and i would not recomend a ford to anyone. if you remember a few years ago the IKON accident that happened in bombay where the car was split from the firewall seperateing the engine bay from the rest of the body. the accident took place at around 120kmph after hitting a lamp post. this only goes to show that the crash tests are not being taken seriously for the indian market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
lambuhere1 haveing the crash test facility and useing it are two differnt things. right now the crash tests are not manditory and weather the car passes it or fails it does not matter. the people there wouldbe just passing the cars without doing the crash test. who has time to waste just sign the papers and let the car go. manufacturers keep them happy and thats what matters. i hope this new rule would stop all this and the custumer safety would be considered.
Old 19th September 2007, 15:21   #28
BHPian

let's hope this rule is pass soon , but as other goverment's style of working this rule might come into effective only in 2008 dec and again after some time election and other stuff
Old 19th September 2007, 20:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
if you remember a few years ago the IKON accident that happened in bombay where the car was split from the firewall seperateing the engine bay from the rest of the body. the accident took place at around 120kmph after hitting a lamp post.
There is a separate element to it. No matter how effective your crash tests are, there is an uncanny element of speed and randomity. Think of the Princess Diana crash. Most Crash tests are performed at speeds much below what these accidents were involved with.

However, the Fiesta MarkV (on which the Ikon is based) might not have been tested at the lamp-post test, which has become a standard now. With more experience our learning improves.
Old 19th September 2007, 22:14   #30
Team-BHP Support

If they go by European standards(which is most likely) no car without airbags will pass.
So I guess even low end cars will need airbags with prices going up by 15-20K/car.
Many cars like the M800 will vanish.

That aside, it its implemented it will be good. I remember until the law caught the companies by the scruff of their necks, the manufacturers did not even give rear seat belts to cut costs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks