Team-BHP - B+ Segment wars
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   B+ Segment wars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2899-b-segment-wars.html)

The B+ segment wars have now truly started.

Hyundai with the Getz has once again kick-started the segment. The Indica Petrol is not one of the hot movers from Tata showrooms, the Palio 1.2 still a fearsome sight for most car buyers and the Sail a questionable move by Opel. Either ways, these cars now have their work cut out big time!

So which one will you choose? The Italian beauty, the desi chic, the German Aunt Helga in a spaghetti top or the cheeky korean who wants the world to believe she is European.

Revv

well...
Palio.... I would have voted for this... if it had a more powerful engine.
Indica... I don't need to explain..
Getz... OK... looks fine... but... nothing gr8... 80+ korean bhp?.. not enough
Sail... This is what is left! ... 1.4 or 1.6 both better than all of the above ... in engine performance and ride quality. And will certainly out-live Indica & Getz.

Getz.. I have no idea.

Palio 1.2... if that is the NV model ur talking about... well it takes light years to move from 20 to 40 at 2nd gear. If u want to fight for that premium real estate, a.k.a road in the bangalore, with those bpo cabbies... then with this car ur at serious disadvantage. Has lot of blind spots!! That big A pillar + that rear view glass... there is nothing much visible in that glass honestly.(cost cutting???).

Sail 1.6... well i own this. Just a month and half old. A black one... Compared to palio, it has a slightly tight gear shift and steering. But other than that more or less both the cars are at even in othere dept. Give or take a few.

Since GTX is not there i will go sail 1.6, NV Sports, sail 1.4. In that order. No idea about Getz.

sat in the getz (blue) at high street pheonix on sat. not impressed. my wife's sail 1.6 feels better. i did not dive the getz yet but i dont think it would feel as solid as a sail. must say that their advertising is cheezy too. could they not get indians to shake their booty? Indians have gotten over the "phoren" skin facination now. Ms. Sen and Ms. Rai and their colleagues have seen to that.

im not voting....all these cars dont impress me....

palio - gimme 1.6

sail - forget it...besides the build quality nothin much

indica- a mini truck

getz - unknown stuff...

cheers

i voted for getz.....
but if someone said palio 1.6
my vote would go there.....
fiat needs a lesson or 2 in marketing and hope fully someone will ive them one...
hey amit
how about advising them to launch the 1.6 again but at a lower price...
they dont seem to be lissenin to me

Palio - underpowered, Fiat ###, Visibility problem - wont buy this. Though have to admit that it looks the best of the lot and is also the best built.

Indica - never liked this car

Getz - dont know much about this car yet

So by elimination my vote goes to the sail 1.6 - good build and ride. decent performance. good interiors.

But honestly would buy an entry level midsizer anyday instead of any of these cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]hey amit
how about advising them to launch the 1.6 again but at a lower price...
they dont seem to be lissenin to me

I have sent them a few emails asking them to re-launch the palio 1.6. It's high time they moved fast on this. It's only a matter of time before we have the Getz and Fusion 1.6 engined cars. God knows what they priorities are!
By the way, i even sent them a ready made marketing campaign for the palio 1.6. Give full page adverts in major news papers with the picture of the Rajdhani Express and the words Top Speed 140kmph under it. Next to this pic, put the pic of palio 1.6 with the words Top Speed 185kmph. Same way a pic of a cheetah with 120 kmph top speed as compared to palio's 185. No need to write anything more. What more can you and me do? we are willing to spoon feed them but i guess they want us to open their mouth's now!

Amit the problem here is that there are not many ppl around who'd shell out money for a fast car. The hot hatch is for the enthusiasts and the membership numbers at the bottom of the home page (560 last count) should give you an idea about their population.

Add to that the reputation that fiat has right now and you have your answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]the problem here is that there are not many ppl around who'd shell out money for a fast car.

I do agree with u but i feel ppl are not ready for a hot hatch. For years the hot hatch for indians was the Zen! Somehow, i feel that indians believe that a hatcback should not be fast. That is the real problem according to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Add to that the reputation that fiat has right now

the reputation is something that even fiat has realised now and are doing a lot of hard work to improve. It will take time but the results are showing as seen from their performance in the j.d.power survey. but they need to launch the car now. They cant' wait for the image to improve first and then launch the car. These things have to go hand in hand. Six months back even i thought the palio 1.6 wouldn't sell. Now with fiat's image slowly improving i think they need to launch it specially since we are going to have the fusion 1.6 in a few months. Maybe fiat will take a look at how fusion is recieved and then re-launch the 1.6 palio

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Maybe fiat will take a look at how fusion is recieved and then re-launch the 1.6 palio

But ford too is taking a big risk by launching fusion in the same price bracket as the Icon 1.6... Again the indian mindset... People would go for a car with a boot rather than a hatch..... fast or not... if both are priced similarly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (mohit @ Sep. 20 2004,17:44)]But ford too is taking a big risk by launching fusion in the same price bracket as the Icon 1.6... Again the indian mindset... People would go for a car with a boot rather than a hatch..... fast or not... if both are priced similarly!

That is one thing that needs to be changed. I just hope Ford media guys pulls something out of the bags to sell 1.6l Fusion. Its going to be a tough one IMO.

palio is too sluggish feels very heavy and visiblity and service major hassles
sail has a good ride,engine not as good space is a real problem with tall people
getz is too expensive for a hatchback that too with korean'82'bhp

Well,i would go for the corsa sail as its a great and sturdy handler with efficient power.The only drawbacks being the tag Opel and the FE.
Palio wud be a close 2nd.
Getz....no comment unless i drive it.
And Indica is not even considerable.
Cya.

I'd go with the Getz here. Read my review here-
http://www.team-bhp.com/cgi-bin....w;st=32